This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know how you feel, Ashley.

We have a customer that comes in with a service dog, Ashley. I guess it's a standard poodle, anyway, she's a big one. Most of the time the dog just kinda hangs out doing her service thing (I don't know what the woman has the dog for). Everyone respects why she's in the store.

Today, that pup just wasn't having it. I was walking down the aisle and the woman asked me a question and while I was answering her, Ashley started sniffing me and I found her head under my hand. Now I know you don't interfere when the dog is on duty but she since her head was right there I gave it a few pets and a scratch and stepped back. Just to make it clear the woman didn't seem to mind and I didn't pet the dog for more than 20 seconds tops.

After I stepped back, Ashley made eye contact with me and I really felt like she wanted me to spring off the leash and go romp outside. It really was a beautiful day. Even when the woman was in line she was still taking her time looking at stuff. I was on my way out the door and I caught Ashley's eye again and I'm pretty sure she rolled her eyes because the woman was taking so long.

So even working dogs have days that they just aren't feeling it. I feel Ashley's pain because nobody at the store felt like working today either. Good thing our store manager took the day off.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Quoth Trixie View Post
    I was on my way out the door and I caught Ashley's eye again and I'm pretty sure she rolled her eyes because the woman was taking so long.

So even working dogs have days that they just aren't feeling it. I feel Ashley's pain because nobody at the store felt like working today either. Good thing our store manager took the day off.
    I wouldn't be in the least surprised. Poodles are at the higher end of the dog intelligence scale, so they pick up instruction well but you have to keep them engaged or they start getting bored and destructive, hence the reputation for being a bit psycho.

Even long-term service dogs can eventually reach the point where they've had enough; I remember watching a documentary earlier in the year about how service dogs are trained and picked, and it's incredibly intense. One dog that had been with her young owner for about 5 years (I think?) just had enough at one point and started "accidentally" making mistakes. Since the dog was edging up on retirement age by that point, he became the family pet and a new service dog was brought in.

If I recall correctly guide dogs for the blind is the most intense course, taking only the best of the best, while dogs that are still very good but wash out on the main course often get recruited by hearing dogs for the deaf or assistance dogs for people with mobility issues. The latter don't require the same amount of consistent ability to pay attention and make decisions over long periods of time, since they just need to pop in to alert their charge to the appropriate noise/come over and pass an item/whatever then go back to napping or chasing their tail, rather than having to be solely responsible for the life and well-being of their blind charge for long periods of time.

Interesting fact; most of the UK Golden Retriever and Labrador service dogs in service at the moment come from the same few bloodlines that have proved to be highest in intelligence, problem solving abilities and ability to pay attention for long periods of time.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that service dogs/animals may or may not have any training. Seeing eye, epilepsy, rescue dog, etc are highly trained. An "emotional support" animal may not have any training. Ashley may not be any more than house broken and the fun, playful behavior might be the service she is providing.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

She's a full on service dog because at other times she's been in the store with a vest on. She didn't have it on yesterday so maybe that was part of it. I seem to recall that's part of the training. Vest on time to work sort of thing. I honestly don't know much about them. The woman has no obvious issues (blind or deaf) so I really don't know the whole story.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
          The woman has no obvious issues (blind or deaf) so I really don't know the whole story.
          She could be a trainer. Service dogs that are fully trained are often fostered by families and either trained there or with a dedicated professional.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Could also be for a number of issues that are not immediately visible. I know of dogs that alert their owners to blood sugar level problems, ones that alert for impending seizures, and on and on.

Since it isn't always obvious why someone needs a support animal, the mere fact that there are people who falsely label their pets as such to get special privileges is very damaging to those who really need them.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

This woman has been coming in with the same dog for that last couple years at least. We have people who just come in with their dogs and that's annoying. It would definitely be worse if they tried to pass them off as emotional support animals.

Comment

I've been told that poodles aren't normally used for seeing-eye dogs, precisely because not only do they get bored, but they have a nasty sense of humor.

My sister's family has two Labs from a breeder that normally does service-dogs (they produce more dogs than the agency buys, so the extras get homed as pets). They're full siblings from different litters; the black one is smart and observant, and she probably would have made a good seeing-eye dog (though she might be too small), The other is a big yellow galoot -- dumb but enthusiastic. Both are very loving!

Comment

Working...
                X