This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bead swap?

I know I floated this idea a while ago, but it didn't get off the ground (that might be my fault, I didn't have the free time to actually organize anything). Are people still interested? The idea is, fill a small box (say a 6" cube, just to have a consistent size) with beads and findings (broken jewelry that could be reused is ok too) that you don't use anymore but are too nice to just junk and send it off

The logistics is the only part I'm not sure about seeing as I haven't actually run anything like this (I've done a few card exchanges and plenty of one-on-one swaps but have zero experience with doing a larger item swap with a group) Any suggestions on the best way to do things if there's a lot of interest?
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Not my hobby, but for shipping around use CD jewel cases? Perhaps the double-wide ones?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Those things break so easy, I think plastic baggies and inside a small cardboard box with a lid would be better for shipping.

Anyway I have a ton of beads, I might be interested! Should we take pics of them or what?
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Count me in too. Maybe a plastic bag in a padded envelope would work, and be cheaper to ship.

Comment

My original-original idea was for everyone to post the type/material/color(s) they like and what they have up for grabs and then go from there.

Posting pictures is a good idea, but it might get complicated...*looks at the bead breeding ground in the living room; that's gonna take me at least a day to even sort* Baggies in a padded envelope seems best for shipping (depending on whether any of the beads are glass/otherwise fragile the sender could use additional packing as they see fit--I've had good luck with bubblewrap and then cardboard scraps over that).

Comment

About a handful, say? Sure, I'm in.

Comment

Umm well I like anything unique and cool, not too keen on those plastic pony beads or seed beads, although I have a bunch. I also have wooden beads, white heart beads in all colors, and some unique pieces I can't even describe. I'll have to do pics soon. I have a LOT!
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm getting some pics ready, it might not be until my day off (Wed) though. I'm into glass and stone, not a fan of plastic beads at all. Also anything unique/odd.

Comment

I have a spare strand or 2 of rose quartz ovals.
                  (Just got to find them)

Comment

My old bead collection [including almost 3 oz freshwater pearls] went up in smoke when the house burnt down, but I am the proud possessor of my moms midcentury through 2000ish costume jewelry collection ... I could probably manage to pop forth a handful [maybe a snack zippy bag] of stuff, she had some of the huge clunky bead necklaces that were popular and I can't imagine a Roman through Rennaisance costuming reuse of them. I will try and sort through and get some pictures when I get back home to Rochester NY this coming weekend [doctor appointments and booty call in Connecticut right now +) ]
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh, lord, I have a bead store in my living room. if it's not too late to join, I'd love to. The swaps we used to do on the old about.com beading site were so much fun ... I still wear a gorgeous dichroic pendant made by one of the admins on that site that I got in a swap.

I have a ton of glass and pewter; I used to buy wholesale and repackage for sale on eBay, but got shoved out by the big guys.

Comment

Sure. If everyone who wants in would PM me in addition to posting in-thread that'd be great...still not exactly sure how to organize it.

I was trying to repackage and sell online for a time too, but kept getting complaints about how "your prices are too high"...yeah, you can get the same shape in plastic for a dollar per hundred, but what I'm selling is real bone/horn. I considered making and selling kits, but that got too complicated (and then I'd be inundated with "how do you use a crimp?" emails).

Sorry I've been incommunicado for a bit, things came up...getting pics of my stash in between work and projects and I will post pics on Wednesday or sooner!

Comment

Working...
                        X