This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter is coming

I want to start off by saying that I've been at my job 15 years (yes, 15, yes that is a long time). So I know how retail seasons work. We had candy corn out in July, more Halloween candy in August and all of Halloween stuff out right after Labor Day. In the last few weeks, the summer stuff is gone and we have our hats, gloves and hand warmers out. The weather is in the high 80's for the last week and a half.

Today we got something on our truck that had me literally stopping in my tracks...snow shovels, ice scrapers and rock salt.

I guess it's nice to know that in my jaded retail heart that there's still stuff that surprises me.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Recently saw a news article that estimated Halloween spending this year at $9.1 Billion in the US. You will start seeing more Halloween creep as it starts fighting with Christmas.

As for the snow supplies, after last year, they are expecting people to be paranoid.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
      I want to start off by saying that I've been at my job 15 years (yes, 15, yes that is a long time). So I know how retail seasons work. We had candy corn out in July, more Halloween candy in August and all of Halloween stuff out right after Labor Day. In the last few weeks, the summer stuff is gone and we have our hats, gloves and hand warmers out. The weather is in the high 80's for the last week and a half.

Today we got something on our truck that had me literally stopping in my tracks...snow shovels, ice scrapers and rock salt.

I guess it's nice to know that in my jaded retail heart that there's still stuff that surprises me.
      The Walmart where I used to work has all their Christmas stuff out:cry

Comment

I will admit that when I go to Walmart that I will walk through the Christmas section and maybe buy something but only because it's something that I was looking for and know that I need to get it early but I certainly don't go overboard with it.

I sometimes listen to Christmas music in September.

Comment

I start watching Christmas Vacation in September. It's record breaking hot today.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Every time I hear about this kind of thing, I'm reminded of this comic:
            Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
            OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
            she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
            Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
              *snip*

I can empathize with that ... I love Christmas music. A few years ago I went looking for streaming stations that play Christmas music all year around.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                I will admit that when I go to Walmart that I will walk through the Christmas section and maybe buy something but only because it's something that I was looking for and know that I need to get it early but I certainly don't go overboard with it.

Mom and I have to check out the Christmas section at our Wallyworld just to see what they have new.

Invariably, a couple of ornaments will jump off the shelf and into the cart. Ran into the same problem when we had KMart with those as well. :whisle:

Now I have a small tree that I set up in my boudoir (it's a 3 foot high pink tree) and most of the ornaments are different shades of pink/white/purple (I still have a pretty blue bird that hangs out there too) and too many ornaments for the poor little thing.

Guess I won't be putting the trees up this year . . . dangling, shiny ornaments and kittens means getting out the vacuum cleaner, broom dustpan, trash can, etc.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who starts Christmas early. I still have some decorations hanging up from last year. Didn't put up a tree, even a little one because my furry children destroy it.

When I was a kid I'd start to listen to Christmas music in September. Now kids, this was the day of vinyl so even then I'd have it on repeat and get yelled at for playing...The Chipmunks Christmas. Now the theory I have is that I'd start seeing commercials in September for the Time-Life Christmas album and since it was through the mail it would take 4-6 weeks to arrive for the holidays. I justify it now by saying in my child mind it was okay to listen to any Christmas music because it was already on TV.

Thank you for listening to my rambling.

Comment

Since I've been living in Mom's house, I've been indulging my love of real Christmas trees each year. Oddly, my two cats have completely ignored the trees and the decorations. Their attitudes can best be summed up as "Oh ... nice. Is it supper yet?"

This will be my last Christmas in Mom's house ... and alas, there will be no last tree. I have accepted an invite to brother's house in The Land of Frozen Boogers. I will be gone for a week, so while I certainly still plan to decorate, a live tree is, alas, not on the books.
                    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Much as I despise it, I can see why Christmas goods are put out earlier and earlier. With the way prices have increased in excess of wages in recent years, you need to split up your shopping over several months if you're not going to put yourself in a hole financially.

Need to replace your fake tree/ornaments that are looking too ratty? Buy them September/October (or even better in the post-Christmas sales the previous year).

Always buy wrapping paper/bows/Christmas cards in the sales and put them aside for next year.

Don't care if your turkey/goose/ham/other food is frozen? Buy them around October and shove them in the freezer.

Present shopping can start at any time of the year, depending on release dates and whether it's something that might need to be returned (e.g. ill-fitting clothes, faulty electrical goods) as that eases the strain on your monthly income.

The only things that ever get bought in December in our house are DVDs/CDs/books with late release dates and fresh food that can't be frozen.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
                        I have both a Christmas and a Halloween playlist on YouTube, and have been known to listen to either at off times of the year.
                        Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        Guess I won't be putting the trees up this year . . . dangling, shiny ornaments and kittens means getting out the vacuum cleaner, broom dustpan, trash can, etc.
                        Try reverse psychology: hang cat toys from the tree branches. Watch the kitties pointedly ignore the tree.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          You mean like this?
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                            You mean like this?
                            Yeah, but multiply that by 16 kittens (Gidget's 7, Penelope's 3 and the 6 we rescued this weekend.)

There was one memorable Christmas years ago where we had kittens in the house and they climbed inside the tree and managed to knock it over onto its side!
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Mrs. TGK thought I was nuts when I bought 4 cinder blocks for a tree on what would be our calico's first Christmas. I weighed down the tree stand with the blocks and the tree continued to stand even when the cat climbed up most of the way on the tree.

Kitty's first Christmas can be so much fun
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X