Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRL Reactions to your work horror stories?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been lucky. I've worked seasonal jobs the last few years, so my coworkers/roommates are able to witness and sympathize over
    any sucky customers. It makes a difference when you can have a gripe session over a beer or two after work.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
      Basically, I was just supposed to shut up and take it because I'm a woman. ....Needless to say, he made the Wall of Ex's not long after that . . .
      And I bet he still can't figure out why you dumped him.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

What is funny about my pizza place is that I work with a hard core group of long term employees. combined I would say collectively we have about 140 man years of experience. If it ain't happened to you it happened to someone else you know or work with and we tend not to bullshit each other where crazy/insane/stupid/dumb work stuff goes. if we say it happened it did happen.
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          And I bet he still can't figure out why you dumped him.
          He never did figure it out, unsurprisingly.

He's where he needs to be currently . . . six feet under the ground (he passed away a few years ago) and not coming back.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

He never did figure it out, unsurprisingly.

He's where he needs to be currently . . . six feet under the ground (he passed away a few years ago) and not coming back.
            You hope...

People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Usually there's a mix of "No way" and "Holy..." when I let this one loose at gatherings

Comment

I do security at a library. Often I get people going "Oh security at a library that must easy/boring!" or "oh your here to make sure no one steals books ha ha!" I then explain to them what exactly happens. That i've been spat on, punched, kicked, had knifes pulled on me. That I deal with very drunk people everyday who get mad that they can't be drunk in a kids section of the library. That we are a central location on all major bus routes and have free WiFi so every teen gang in the city uses the library as their place to set up and do drug deals. Some of the story's I mention when they say the library "must be so boring and easy" are the 20 year old who was on Meth who waved around a very realistic replica handgun in the children's section, the guy who jumped to his death off the 4th of the library, my supervisor receiving a concussion when having an ice chunk thrown at his head, my other supervisor(a 60 year old woman) being punched in the face and kicked in the ribs by a drunk who didn't want to leave the library at close. Also a more recent one now is the two 15 year girls high on several drugs who tried to stab the paramedics who were called for them. I usually get a WTF!? or a "Oh come on that can't be true it's just a library!"

Comment

I actually had a guy that I was involved with at the time actually tell me I had no right to go to HR when I was having to deal with those two nightmare managers over a decade ago now.

Basically, I was just supposed to shut up and take it because I'm a woman. He really didn't like it when I reminded him that I don't tolerate disrespect from anyone, regardless of who they are.

Needless to say, he made the Wall of Ex's not long after that . . .
                  What. My brother's like that. He says "just take it, they're not physically attacking you it's just in your head that they were trying to offend you and you're too sensitive, grow a thick skin." I suspect that he's trying to tell me that I'm just a silly girl that needs to kowtow.

Quoth Mr. Security View Post
                  I do security at a library. Often I get people going "Oh security at a library that must easy/boring!" or "oh your here to make sure no one steals books ha ha!" I then explain to them what exactly happens. That i've been spat on, punched, kicked, had knifes pulled on me. That I deal with very drunk people everyday who get mad that they can't be drunk in a kids section of the library. That we are a central location on all major bus routes and have free WiFi so every teen gang in the city uses the library as their place to set up and do drug deals. Some of the story's I mention when they say the library "must be so boring and easy" are the 20 year old who was on Meth who waved around a very realistic replica handgun in the children's section, the guy who jumped to his death off the 4th of the library, my supervisor receiving a concussion when having an ice chunk thrown at his head, my other supervisor(a 60 year old woman) being punched in the face and kicked in the ribs by a drunk who didn't want to leave the library at close. Also a more recent one now is the two 15 year girls high on several drugs who tried to stab the paramedics who were called for them. I usually get a WTF!? or a "Oh come on that can't be true it's just a library!"
                  Jeez. And I thought that Canada was full of nice, polite people! When I visited they were very nice. But maybe that was because I was a paying tourist.
                  Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                  The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Whenever someone says that stereotype of "all Canadians are nice and apologize for everything" I wince. The problem for me in working in a town near that particular border is that I got a lot of SCs who would loudly tell me that they were Canadian. Now, that absolutely didn't make dislike them for their nationality (because I'm not stupid) but it did bring attention to where they were from. So I'd get like 4 customers in a row yelling at me because they forgot their coupons and I should just give them discounts because they drove all the way from Canada. I'm 100% sure that Americans shopping up north did exactly the same thing. SCs are SCs EVERYWHERE.

Also, the library in my old town was sooo calm and quiet. I spent a lot of time there and never saw anything unruly happen. But the library in my current (and much larger town) is crazy! Sad to say, many homeless people and people with mental problems seem to literally camp out there. It's located downtown, and downtown has turned really odd in the last few years. I can totally believe that people would be violent to a security guard if they were being told to leave.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      Whenever someone says that stereotype of "all Canadians are nice and apologize for everything" I wince. The problem for me in working in a town near that particular border is that I got a lot of SCs who would loudly tell me that they were Canadian. Now, that absolutely didn't make dislike them for their nationality (because I'm not stupid) but it did bring attention to where they were from. So I'd get like 4 customers in a row yelling at me because they forgot their coupons and I should just give them discounts because they drove all the way from Canada. I'm 100% sure that Americans shopping up north did exactly the same thing. SCs are SCs EVERYWHERE.

Also, the library in my old town was sooo calm and quiet. I spent a lot of time there and never saw anything unruly happen. But the library in my current (and much larger town) is crazy! Sad to say, many homeless people and people with mental problems seem to literally camp out there. It's located downtown, and downtown has turned really odd in the last few years. I can totally believe that people would be violent to a security guard if they were being told to leave.
                      Yeah, I was joking about that stereotype. I really don't believe all canadians are polite and nice. My local library in suburbia is quiet, except for the occasional scream, but I imagine in DC it's a lot more rowdy and full of drunken weirdos and probably junkies...
                      Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                      The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

I always figured the Canadian serial killer would apologize as he was stabbing you...
                        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                        X