This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider mites! (plants)

I was giving my plants some attention today (moved them out of the grow tent into the windows because it's actually nice out)...and saw some signs of spider mites The older plant has some webbing which I got rid of, and the smaller one only has leaf symptoms so far. I got rid of badly damaged leaves and wiped both of them down with a MiracleGro miticide soap (not ideal--I wanted a spinosad product but can't find it locally) and my next plan is to get some diatomaceous earth and also treat the leaves with an alcohol/water mix in a few days--also wipe down the grow tent. I have no idea where they came from; the only plants we've brought in over the summer have been purchased from a local farm stand.

How long does it generally take to get rid of the buggers? Assuming I'm rotating foliage treatments every 2-3 days to break the breeding cycle. My first mistake was listening to mom who doesn't think my setup needs active airflow...she did let me set up a fan but the tent has to remain open--which kinda misses the point--and it only directs air on the pots themselves (only the very bottom leaves were even rustling) which is also pretty pointless but could explain why they were drying out faster than they should.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I don't know, but when I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was this guy:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

If only they were that cute...these are the nightmares I'm referring to. Usually it's possible to figure out exactly where they came from, but I'm at a loss (the humidity over the past week or so is probably what got them going though). I think I've figured out a plan to get rid of them, but if these things are the two-spotted mites I'm screwed.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

It's entirely possible they came in with your local farm stand plants, and only just now bred to levels where you started noticing them. I had something similar happen with little fruit fly gnat things when I brought my orange trees inside. It took them several months to reach a high enough population for us to really notice.

Neem oil is supposed to be good for getting rid of them. It's fairly commonly used as an insecticide so it shouldn't be too hard to find. If you can't find it locally, shouldn't be at all difficult to locate online, either through whatever hardware/DIY store you have close at hand or Amazon, or if all else fails you can try soap making suppliers like Bulk Apothecary (it's also used in soap).
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
        X