This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Trixie dog

My 14 yo Australian Shepherd mix crossed the Rainbow Bridge last night. I rescued her 9 years ago when her then owner, and my former neighbor, was going to have her put down for fighting with his new wife's terrier mix, and tearing it up for the 5th time. I still don't know what that terrier could have said to Trixie, as Trixie was nothing but patient with all my other dogs.

5 years ago, Trixie was diagnosed with first stage liver failure, and we were referred to a specialty vet who worked miracles keeping Trixie healthy and happy. We knew she was on borrowed time even then, and over the past year her vision and hearing were getting noticeably worse. She still had her puppy moments daily, and loved playing with her best bud (my avatar and namesake) Primer.

Last night at about 11, I heard her stumble and fall in the laundry room, and she let out a horrible scared wail. I could tell when I got to her that she would not make it long enough to get her in to town to the emergency vet, so I wrapped her up in a blanket and got her comfortable in one of the doggie beds. DH and I laid with her, petting her, and comforting her until she passed about 15 minutes later. The other 5 dogs were allowed to come in and check on her throughout as they wished. We dug a hole and buried her in the front yard, in her favorite spot, where she would always curl up to watch the road and "protect" her land.

Primer slept in Trixie's bed last night, and seems lost without her today. I know we will all get over the immediate pain, but she will remain forever in our hearts and memories.
    Last edited by Primer; 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM. Reason: typos
    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

<hugs> I'm so sorry to hear that, Primer. My prayers will be with you and your husband.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Bummmer... *snuggles*

Comment

<hugs> So sorry. I understand this so much. My little Rat Terrier, Laci, passed at the beginning of winter. Thoughts to you and your family and all your dogs!
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

*oodles of hugs*
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So sorry! May she visit you in dreams.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Oh, Primer. I'm so sorry *major hugs*. Give all the other critters a hug from me too, ok?
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I'm sorry for you. Remember how much she loved you and how much you (still) love her. Keep the memories close and they'll help.
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I know this all too well, so so sorry. *gives lots of hugs*
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

*hugs* I'm sad that happened to you. It's really hard.
                    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                    -----
                    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

I'm sorry for what happened - at least she went with the people she loved.
                      Quote Dalesys:
                      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

*many hugs*
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear this.
                          I've been there a few times myself with old K-9 friend's.
                          I just try and remember all the good times we had together and time passing seems to help.
                          Take care.
                          Eric

Comment

Thanks everyone. Primer has been starting out every night in Trixie's bed, then coming to bed with us (her usual spot) in the middle of the night. Last night, she finally decided to come snuggle first. We're all slowly adjusting.

The attached pic (if it works) was taken about 2.5 years ago:
                            Attached Files
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Primer.
                              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                              X