Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find my phone also has an option to show last location in case the battery goes dead or its turned off. So the store may have been the last location when it was turned off and taken.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
      I'm curious - how does it work if you don't have the phone on you?
      You simply log in to the device manager website from a phone/tablet/laptop you have, sign in with your Google account (the main one you use on your phone) and you can instantly locate, lock or erase a missing device. It also includes a ring function which will cause the phone to ring at full volume for 5 minutes.

The ring method is the best way to find your phone because the GPS lock is only accurate to within about 200 feet or so. I could tell which quadrant of the store my phone was in on the GPS, but only by making it ring could I pinpoint its exact location.
      Last edited by CrazedClerkthe2nd; 11-16-2015, 03:32 AM.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        Why not call the police, unless you have something to hide?

I smell a possible scam.

First, assuming the phone exists and is in the store - the longer she waits and wastes time the greater the chance someone could pick it up and walk away with it. Plus over time the batteries will drain and the location software will stop working.

Second, while calling the police for a $15 TracPhone would be overkill, this is a $500-800 Iphone. Why not do what is needed to get the phone found as soon as possible.

Third, if she left the phone in the store - the store is libel for NOTHING!

Fourth, I notice there is no mention of her retracing her steps in the store to see if she can find where she put the phone down, and often even if the phone is set to vibrate you can still hear the phone if you are near it and it is on a hard surface. The fact she does not call her own phone is suspect to me.

I would see if she tries to to claim the store owns her for her phone, I would not be surprised.
        Many years ago, a customer left his phone in the kids' department of our very large store. He called us first, and we looked for it. No luck. Finally, he came in, and we tried calling his phone from our store phones. We went all over the big department, trying to hear the ringing. Finally, we found it buried behind some blue jeans on a table. The man was overjoyed to get his phone back! He thanked us all for our help...no accusations or suspicions! See what a little due diligence can do?
        Why the heck didn't they just start calling the phone and looking/listening for it??
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

I also think she was trying to scam the store. I don't know, maybe its me, but if I had a very fancy, pricy phone, I'd be darn sure I knew where it was all the time. We used to get customers all the time who would come in, saying they'd lost their hpone, and had anyone found it? The thing was, they were never quite sure exactly WHERE it went missing. Ok, i get retracing your steps. I would even offer to call it, to see if it rang, in the store.

But that was it, esp since you aren't sure where you lost/left it, i really can't do much more. Some of my more "helpful" managers and CWs however, would then try and come up with all sorts of other things they could do. None of which helped or made any sense. Again, if the customer isn't even sure where they left/lost it, then my job is done.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
            We used to get customers all the time who would come in, saying they'd lost their hpone, and had anyone found it?
            People do this at our store for phones and wallets, but as a scam. If we actually have a phone or wallet in the safe we make them describe it, or give the name on the cards in the wallet. I was surprised at how often the caller suddenly says "oh, I'm calling for my friend!" I guess I had a tiny bit of faith in humanity left?
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              People do this at our store for phones and wallets, but as a scam. If we actually have a phone or wallet in the safe we make them describe it, or give the name on the cards in the wallet. I was surprised at how often the caller suddenly says "oh, I'm calling for my friend!" I guess I had a tiny bit of faith in humanity left?
              I had a bit of the opposite experience not too long ago. I was calling around, retracing our steps when my middle son lost his wallet. I described it and told them the name on the ID card inside, and said "It'll be obvious; the picture is of a kid with a bright orange-afro mohawk, and a septum ring. There will be no question if it's him or not!

They all seemed to be surprised that I gave identifying details.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth icmedia View Post
                Unfortunately, yes; I once used Android Device Manager to track my lost phone to the last restaurant I ate at...called it and it was in the bartender's pocket. My (very distinctive) ringtone gave it away dead to rights but she still tried to say it was her phone ringing.
                Oh, yeah. IHOP, it was. Went back to look for it, wasn't where we'd been sitting. Nobody's turned it in? So the bestie starts calling it . . . Kept calling it . . . Manager went back into the kitchen. Came out with the phone. Still ringing . . .

Don't know what happened after we left. Don't want to know. Haven't been back.

Comment

This was some time ago. I had a flip phone and went shopping at the store where I worked on my day off. Was walking around the store and realized that I didn't have my phone. Went to one of the supervisors and they had the operator call as we walked around the store. Still couldn't find it. Went out to my car and there was a guy standing by the car next to mine. He held up my phone and said, "Is this your phone?". It had fallen out of my pocket when I got out of my car (don't remember why it wasn't in a case). I was never so grateful for an honest man in my life. Went back into the store to let them know and thank them for their help. The thing was it was raining and the phone was wet but it worked just fine.
                  "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

One fun thing I found out: iThieves often know to get into a found iPhone and delete the Find My iPhone app. The company I worked for started using a paid app that allowed us to hide the icon so you'd never know it had a locator app unless you dug through the app list in Settings.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X