This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the Shop: Catbutt face edition

I recently purchased an automotive shop that has been in business a very long time in my great city. As such we have a lot of established customers, most of whom have been really awesome, but we aren't here to talk about those wonderful people. Oh no, come closer and listen to my tale.

It was a lovely day, the guys are in the back, wrenching on cars, Primrose (the best assistant ever) and I are up front, working on Quickbooks and watching cute cat videos. So far it had been a great day...and then they walked in. It was a mother - daughter pair, dropping off the daughters car. Very lovely woman, the mother. This particular tale is about the daughter.

The transaction started normally with her saying the whole family had been long time customers and describing her issue with her 13 year old car. Seems the previous shop owners had done some work a year ago and it was presenting the same symptoms. She also wanted an honest opinion on whether the car should be kept or should be sold off to some other poor soul in need of a cheap, used car. Things were good, she handed us the keys, and I ended my polished sales spiel with our usual diag fee of $50. She seemed ok with it, then she asked the fated question, "Do you wave the diag fee if we make the repairs here?"

Now, some background, the previous owners did wave diag fees for some folks based on how long they had been a customer, the phases of the moon, etc. I have chosen not to wave the diag fee (or say I wave it and then up the price of the labor on the back end by a half hour like some shops do but I digress), but we are up front about this cost and only 3 people have had a problem with this. End BG

Que cat butt face, and it was a bad one too. She started ranting about how the old owners always waved the fee for her and she was NOT expecting to have to shop around for a diag fee today and why don't we wave the diag fee if she gets it fixed here. Her mom was giving her a "it's not that big of a deal, you're going to leave over this?" look. I explained that doing a diag on a car takes time, but you'll know everything you ever wanted to know about the car, and then she could make a decision on whether to keep the car or not. She snatched the keys off the counter and said she would shop around and give us a call back. Lightly sucky, but we wouldn't be here if it ended there.

She called about an hour later and spoke to Primrose, saying she had found someone to do the diag for $30 and how dare we not wave the fee and she was never coming back. That's right boys and girls, all this fuss over $20. Then she goes and leaves us a poor review on Google saying how unhappy she was that the pricing here had changed and that the level of service has gone down...now, say what you want about the pricing, it is what it is, but do not even begin to question my customer service skills. You are one of 4 people who have complained in 3 months and only one of those was legit. My service is just fine thank you very much.

Sooo, I wrote her a polite, professional reply, saying we know times are tough and that we were sad to see her go, but we understand being on a budget and needing to find the best deal out there. As I was writing it, I was thinking, you leave a long standing relationship, go to a new mechanic that you may or may not be able to trust...all over $20. *sigh* Good riddance.

Pay an up front fee, or have it hidden in the other costs you have to pay? Decisions, decisions.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

At MW repair, the diag fee was paid up front and non-refundable, but it went towards the cost of repair if the customer had the product repaired. Logic for it was, "We're going to have to take it apart to find out what's wrong with it either way. It will cost the same in the end."

Most people were cool with it, because even I could tell what the problem was and roughly how much it would cost. And yes, I even told people when the diagnostic fee was more than the item was worth! I mean, we wouldn't want a customer paying the $58 fee on a $100 VCR, when you know the repair is gonna cost more than that.

But that usually changed once a customer refused the estimate. Oh, then I'd have to point out the "non-refundable" portion on the work order, the tag, and their receipt. As in, we worked on this product for one hour and we will get paid for that.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I will drop or wave the fee if it is painfully obvious what's wrong, like coolant pouring out of a cracked radiator or the guy who had a drive shaft laying on the pavement (he insisted on paying the diag fee anyway, really nice guy). This girl seemed to have champagne tastes on a beer budget and was upset we didn't automatically grovel at her feet and fight for her business. I don't need that kind of stress lol.

Comment

Quoth peach2play View Post
          Sooo, I wrote her a polite, professional reply, saying we know times are tough and that we were sad to see her go
          very tactful....if they argue and try to go cheap on you for the diag fee, just imagine if you found something significant.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            At MW repair, the diag fee was paid up front and non-refundable, but it went towards the cost of repair if the customer had the product repaired. Logic for it was, "We're going to have to take it apart to find out what's wrong with it either way. It will cost the same in the end."
            The place I go to, it's credited to the repair if you answer the call when they call you to tell you the problem, because at that point, they still have the thing in pieces, and if they go in and fix it at that point, the work of disassembly is already done. So, yeah. If they put it all back, I would expect it not to be refundable. I mean, they had to do the work!

Comment

That's how my service department works too; we charge a $40 estimate fee up front, which is applied to the cost of any non-warranty repair work (or refunded if the work turns out to be warranty work, since now the manufacturer is picking up the tab) - the only situation where we keep the estimate fee is if the customer declines to have the work done after the estimate.

Comment

I love my mechanics and I've never blinked over their flat-cost diagnostic fee, and it's a few dollars more than yours. Part of the cost of doing business, and I trust them to not lie to me about what's wrong with the car. I'll pay for a diagnostic willingly for the feeling that I have a mechanic I can trust.

Comment

LOL The mechanic I use gives me a "Frequent Flyer" discount because of all the business I give him especially when things go blooyyee after they did some work and it went bad again. He is able to do "warranty work " when something fails in an unreasonably short enough time even with new parts.

Remember that I abuse my car enough for my job.
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I can, and do give a discount to folks who I see for every oil change, who refer a lot of customers, who bring their 5 cars to us, or to our fleet accounts. CBFC was none of those. Thankfully she fired herself and I don't have to do it later!

Comment

Ever notice how those people who come in again and again, on their own volition, and are reasonable, calm and courteous in their interactions, get offered discounts they didn't ask for?

And those who storm in ready to sue the place, never get what they demand?

Gee, I wonder why that is?
                      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                        I love my mechanics and I've never blinked over their flat-cost diagnostic fee, and it's a few dollars more than yours. Part of the cost of doing business, and I trust them to not lie to me about what's wrong with the car. I'll pay for a diagnostic willingly for the feeling that I have a mechanic I can trust.
                        Yup me too. I love my guy. My mom too, even though she took her car to the dealer. Even at 80, mom knows enough about cars to know what was needed and what wasn't. And they were good about telling her this needs to be done now, this can wait, but will need to be done in x time frame. Sure she paid more, but as a senior, and me living 8 hours away, she had peace of mind. now that she's near me, i think we'll be taking her car to my guy. A bit of a PITA logistically, but worth it.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          Ever notice how those people who come in again and again, on their own volition, and are reasonable, calm and courteous in their interactions, get offered discounts they didn't ask for?

And those who storm in ready to sue the place, never get what they demand?

Gee, I wonder why that is?
                          My mechanic keeps giving me discounts. Especially on larger repairs. I've been literally about to sign the paperwork for x amount and they'll stop me to decide that I should get a 10% off of the labor this time around or some such, and re-do the bill to match.

They also keep giving me the 3 As discount despite my having told them I don't have 3 As. "Oh, well, we'll just put it on for you this time." They say. Every time.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
                            My mechanic keeps giving me discounts.
                            I had a problem with vibration in my car - it was my tyres out of balance and I went to a tyre place to get them checked out. I told the man behind the counter what I had experienced in my car at speed and he made a wrong assumption that it was the front wheels.

So I sat in the waiting room and read a book on my book reader. I was happy sitting there waiting as I would have been reading that book anyway. When they finally got to my car and discovered it wasn't the front wheels they came to see me.

I politely reminded him what I had said when I brought it in and he got that "Oh shit" look of enlightenment and went away to talk to the workshop. It took a long time for them to finish it (they were still busy) and when they did the man came to see me. When he told me what was wrong and that it was finished I just smiled and said "So how much do I owe you?"

His look of apprehension changed to relief and he said

"Tell you what - you've been so patient and nice today - it's free"

I replied, "Wow, thank you!" and took my keys and left.

Move along, no suck here.

Comment

Working...
                            X