This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do these people find me

when I'm in a bad mood and trying to hold it together without offending anyone?

I have been hating my job lately, more than usual because of all the sucktomers I've been having due to the holidays. On top of that they put me on the register with the 2-foot countertop, so that's always a struggle with everyone's large items. I was not in the mood for this today.

I had an older couple with two cheap candle holders from the dollar bins. Of course when I went to scan one the handle came off. They pop right back in, which I did, but not before the lady said, "Ohhhh, she broke it! It's free, then!" Yeah, not funny the first time I heard it 1,000 years ago; not funny now. I don't think I responded and she said, "Oh, we're just teasing you." I don't think I responded to that either, which will probably net me a complaint.

She then explained that one of the ones they wanted were broken. She meant a different one they left in the bin but I misunderstood and said "One of these is damaged? Do you want us to check backstock?" [Hey, they can't complain I didn't try to help them.] She explained it better and I said something else--don't remember what--and finished the transaction.

So at the end she asked in a jokingly cheerful way if I'd put my nametag on upside-down for a reason. Um, who cares? I said no, it was a mistake. [I actually do it often when I'm in a hurry and only coworkers ever mention it. Most people are too into their own lives to notice.]

I guess they were trying to be funny and nice, but what's sucky is failing to notice your jokes aren't landing. If they aren't, you can still be friendly, but don't keep teasing the person or pointing out mistakes. The kindest thing you can do is not draw attention to the fact that maybe this isn't a good day for the person. Just let it be. You don't have to be class clown all the time.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    The kindest thing you can do is not draw attention to the fact that maybe this isn't a good day for the person. Just let it be.
    Yep, when an employee has had a hard day's night, they don't need customers trying to be funny.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Yep, when an employee has had a hard day's night, they don't need customers trying to be funny.
      Normally I'm a big teddy bear, but if they rub me up the wrong way then I am the Walrus...
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I guess they were trying to be funny and nice, but what's sucky is failing to notice your jokes aren't landing. If they aren't, you can still be friendly, but don't keep teasing the person or pointing out mistakes. The kindest thing you can do is not draw attention to the fact that maybe this isn't a good day for the person. Just let it be. You don't have to be class clown all the time.
        We should come up with a nickname for the people in your area who passive aggressively try to control your mood. These people see that their lame humor isn't working, and react by doing it even more, because you should respond the way they want you to damn it!
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

We could call them Sergeant Peppers.
          Last edited by Kanalah; 11-22-2015, 02:12 AM.
          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

So at the end she asked in a jokingly cheerful way if I'd put my nametag on upside-down for a reason.
            "Yes, I'm from Australia."

(Assuming Food Lady is in the US.)
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

In my case, I sometimes DO put my name tag on upside down if I do it without looking at it to be sure it's right side up, but usually it's upside down because I've been wrestling an animal, and voila - no more straight name tag. I've got other things to worry about than the orientation of my damned tag! I'm TRYING to dodge the flying poop and urine!

Comment

˙ǝɯ ɹoɟ sʞɹoʍ
                Last edited by Seshat; 11-22-2015, 04:57 PM. Reason: Response to Ironclad Alibi. Minflick and I wrote posts at the same time.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  Normally I'm a big teddy bear, but if they rub me up the wrong way then I am the Walrus...
                  same with me except get me pissed off and I become a TEDDY BEAR WITH CLAWS (not a mama bear just a pissed off bear and all know to stay out of my way or else)
                  I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                  -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    ... a hard day's night ...
                    Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    ... I am the Walrus...
                    Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    ... call them Sergeant Peppers.
                    What's yer problem? It only happens Eight Days A Week ...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Help! Me from all these puns....Food Lady, some people just don't register reactions. I'm sorry you seem to have a twerp magnet

Comment

Hot cross puns?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X