Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The smell of not tobacco..... (really long - advise wanted at end)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The smell of not tobacco..... (really long - advise wanted at end)

*** I'm going to start this by saying I don't have a problem with people smoking the odd joint. I just don't want to deal with the smell ever. And I really want it legalised so someone can create a non-stinky variety. ***

Having issues with the neighbours across the hall that moved in a few months ago.

I think if I describe the building a bit it would help. There are nearly 200 apartments in a four storey building that is a big square looking into a courtyard with a tennis court, pool and a garden area. There are 6 or 8 apartments that share each stairwell. The one's with 6 have a shared garage on the ground floor. I live at the top of an 8 apartment stairwell. 2 apartments share each landing. (I really hope that makes enough sense that you can picture it.)

At first it was just music a bit too loud. Basically you could clearly hear the type of music but not the words or identify the song. That was ok, because it would be turned down by 10pm so you could only hear it if you were in the hall outside their apartment. This is ok by the body corp rules and ok with me.

Then a few weeks after they moved in, someone from that apartment threw up down the entire stairwell. I'm not talking about a little puke. This was major starting at their door, on the stairs, walls and hand rail puke. They even got the glass door and window at the bottom. This happen in the wee hours of a Saturday night and it wasn't cleaned up Sunday morning. I left a semi polite note on their door basically telling them to clean it up. I also emailed Body Corp and their cleaners were horrified with the mess on Monday. Cleaners discovered the culprit and told them to clean it. They didn't. The poor cleaners had to do it on Tuesday, over 3 days after it happened. That apartment was charged for the cleaning, fined and given an official warning. (3 warnings in 12 months and your lease is terminated.) Our stairwell stunk for weeks after.

A few weeks later, there started being the odd whiff of dope. I just thought it was the person in the complex that has one joint a week. This person is fine. It is nothing worse than a person smoking a normal cigarette. Within 5 minutes, you can't smell it anymore.

Then I realised that our stairs smelt strongly of dope. And it was getting to be 2-3 times a week, really strong at the top of the stairs too. Bumped into one of the guys coming out of the apartment one day and told him that I didn't appreciate the smell at all because it is pretty gross and could they at least shut the top window in the stairwell so it doesn't come in and go stale. He was a bit embarrassed and said that they would from now on.

That was the start of October. They never did shut the damn window.

Friday 13, my flatmate and I went to a spooky party and got back about 11:30pm. (I have to say we were pretty proud of our costumes. She was lady death with a timer and long black hood. I was a broken doll, complete with collared dress, over the knee stripy socks, above the ear pigtails with ribbons and cracks drawn on my face.) As soon as we opened the door we could smell the dope and it stunk even worse than normal. I'm talking about burning compost and dead animal smell or how I would imagine a Pepe le Pew would smell when he was decomposing. I was trying not to puke before we even got to the top of the stairs. The music was pretty loud too.

We gave them until the final 12pm noise curfew to turn the music down. It was loud enough to pick up the odd word, so way too loud. They didn't, so I knocked on the door to tell them to at least turn it down. They instead turned it off and I could hear them scurrying around say 'ssshhhh' to each other. They didn't even bother to answer the door. I admit that I saw red. So I yelled through the door 'It's after midnight, turn it the fuck down. And the cheap incense doesn't hide the fucking dope smell. Read the body corp rules about illegal substances. It would suck for you to get kicked out!'

20 minutes later, music is back up loud and now there is thumping on the shared wall. We gave them another 10 minutes to shut up and then I did the cop knock. The really loud shake the whole door knock. Again the scurry and the ssshhhh-ing. Then someone actually opened the door. (I have to say his expression was priceless because he was obviously high and I was still in my costume complete with make up and hair )

He tried to apologise and actually said 'it's friday night, can't we have a party until late? Where's the harm in some music up loud?'
    I can't remember exactly what I said back but it was along the lines of having respect for neighbours and turning it down at the noise curfew times. Hell, I even explained the basics of the noise rules. If you can hear it when on the landing below your apartment, it is too loud after 10:30pm and hearing it outside the apartment is too loud after midnight. I also said about the illegal substances clause again. And shutting the fucking window when they are smoking on their balcony.

10 minutes after this, we got a polite knock on the door. It was the guy I had just yelled at. He wanted to apologise again and said he had put all his friends to bed because I was right and he didn't realise how noisy they were being. He tried to blame the smell on a different batch of dope that friends had gotten and agreed it didn't smell great at all. He also said that he didn't realise the smell was a problem ( ) and that he only smoked 1 joint on a Friday night. He also said that if there was ever a problem to knock on the door and speak to him and he will fix it.

So far in the nearly 2 weeks since, I have had to close the balcony door every night due to the smell. And while they are closing the window, it is not every time they are smoking.

We also have a 'no smoking inside apartments' clause because all the smoke alarms are linked and the fire fighter get called pretty quick. I think they have disabled theirs because when he opened the door, there was a big cloud of stink coming straight out.

Thanks for getting this far in this epic.

My questions to everyone are:
    - how long does it take for a normal person to smoke a joint?
    - how long does that smell normally linger inside? outside?
    - how long does it normally take to smoke a bong?
    - is there a difference in the smell between a joint and a bong? Which have you found to be worse?
    - is there anyway for me smell proof my door and balcony doors? They currently have new rubber and foam seals only replaced in June/July.
    - would it be reasonable to tell them to nominate a half hour window that they can smoke in, but I don't want to smell it outside that timeframe? At least then I can have my balcony doors open during summer or use the air con.

I'm currently sitting at home off sick because of an inflamed throat. Doc thinks it's either an infection or an allergic reaction. Going back on Saturday for results. Last time it was like this, it was just before the 'no smoking in pubs and clubs' laws came in and once after a party in a small courtyard where people were smoking both types of cigarettes.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

They don't sound like good neighbours, the sort where you can work things out between you - I mean, you've asked them to do a couple of perfectly reasonable things (close the window, be quiet very late) and they won't even do that. Not to mention "I only smoke 1 joint on Friday night" doesn't match up with 'clouds of smoke every night for two weeks'.

You gave them a chance to be decent, they're not taking it up, you're now at the point where you report every. dang. thing. they do wrong to the Body Corporate and wait for them to either get fined into behaving or get kicked out.

(I'm expecting 'kicked out' because eeeewwwwww, anyone who can vomit down a stairwell and NOT be shamed into cleaning it up for THREE DAYS is not someone who is likely to clean up their act!)

Comment

Frankly, I think they've proven that they're not that nice. They didn't clean up their vomit (EW) and their smoking (regardless of whether it's legal or not) is affecting your comfort and ability to enjoy your home. What if you were one of those unfortunate people who would get asthma attacks from exposure to smoke?
      I vote for noting the date and time every time you smell them imbibing, and after a week, report them to Body Corporate.
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

They need to go. I don't give a fuck if it's Friday night. Some people have to work on Saturdays, and hell, everybody needs to SLEEP, period. As for the smell, I hate that stuff so hard they don't make words for it.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

As a long-time smoker of not tobacco, I say... report their asses! They're being rude and inconsiderate on top of violating their lease. Seriously, if they're not willing to have a bit of consideration for the people who live around them, let karma bite them in the ass a few times.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Thanks everyone. I had a few people telling me I was being a bitch, but I just want to enjoy have my balcony doors open again.

My friends that were in the apartment below used to smoke 2-3 normal cigarettes a night and I never smelt it unless I was leaning over saying hi.

So I will be tracking them over this week and then reporting them to body corp on Friday next week.

I just hope they don't try to confront my flatmate when I'm not home because angry people terrify her. Angry people just make me laugh at them until I get bored of them. Then it's 'bored now' KA-BOOM scary bitch comes out.
            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

You're not being a bitch. You wish to have 'quiet enjoyment' of your home, and (at least in Australia), that's your right by law.

Quiet enjoyment does mean tolerating reasonable parties at reasonable hours: one of my neighbours has middle eastern music and food smells during the day and early evening on the weekends, once every few months. And that's just FINE.
              Another neighbour (not a shared fence: this is neighbour-of-a-neighbour) has semi-regular barbeques and drunken singing-along, also during day and early evening.
              Again, fine.

In fact, the food smells in this neighbourhood at dinner time is really weird if you go outside and try to identify. I think we probably cover the globe in cuisine styles. In combination it can be a bit overwhelming!

Um.

My point was going to be: we have to compromise with our neighbours. But compromise means give and take, not all take or all give. And yes, I know it's not fair to the day-sleeping people that 'day and early evening' is the default time for everyone to do noisy stuff, but it's what we currently have.

But yeah: smelly stuff, especially smelly stuff that can/will affect other peoples' health, is to be carefully confined and/or dispersed.
              Noise affects neighbours.
              Contamination of shared space affects neighbours.
              And so on.

If you're going to affect your neighbours, you have to either use designated times/spaces, or request an exception. And your neighbours aren't doing that.

So you're totally not being a bitch. Report to cops and/or housing association.

Side notes:
              1. A neighbour who had always been considerate dropped notices in all our mailboxes a couple of years ago, letting us know they had a wedding planned, and inviting us all to join the party if we wished.
              That night, they did party longer than would be allowed by strict noise laws, but none of us chose to report them. They'd been nice.
              2. I don't have the right materials or tools to do a full hazmat cleanup of something like vomit. If it was mine, I'd have cleaned up, but also reported the incident to the body corporate and asked them to hire their regular cleaning company to disinfect the place with industrial-grade equipment.
              I know my grocery store sells so-called 'hospital strength domestos', but frankly, I don't trust it with a situation like that.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                Thanks everyone. I had a few people telling me I was being a bitch, but I just want to enjoy have my balcony doors open again.

Nope, If someone in my building smoked*, I could fail a drug test and lose my security license and my job. Remind them of that.

*one of our semi drivers lost his CDL because his kid smoked in the basement with his friends.
                Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  Side notes:
                  1. A neighbour who had always been considerate dropped notices in all our mailboxes a couple of years ago, letting us know they had a wedding planned, and inviting us all to join the party if we wished.
                  That night, they did party longer than would be allowed by strict noise laws, but none of us chose to report them. They'd been nice.
                  2. I don't have the right materials or tools to do a full hazmat cleanup of something like vomit. If it was mine, I'd have cleaned up, but also reported the incident to the body corporate and asked them to hire their regular cleaning company to disinfect the place with industrial-grade equipment.
                  I know my grocery store sells so-called 'hospital strength domestos', but frankly, I don't trust it with a situation like that.
                  I wouldn't have been so grumpy if they had the tiniest bit of consideration for the rest of us. Most weekends they have loud late parties. And the smell, it lingers and goes stale.

We used to warn our neighbours about big parties in our old house. Mostly it was because we lived in a court and there would be a ton of extra cars, but also to let them know that we were having a party and that we wouldn't be noisy all night.

See, if they had of at least attempted to clean up the puke or stuck an apology on everyone's doors, the issue wouldn't have been as bad. But they hadn't. They couldn't even clean it off the freaking door handle. My ex-flatmate got out her hospital grade hand wipes to do that.

Comment

Call the cops. Evidence of illegal substance possession = reasonable suspicion. Believe me legalization will NOT stop that smell. Smoking in public is still technically illegal and the train station reeks of that stuff.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Small Update: Body Corp letter bombed everyone about noise restrictions, parties and a few other things 2 weeks before xmas. Really wish they had of included the 'illegal substances' clause in the letter, but they didn't.

When I spoke to them at the start of December, they asked us to keep a record of dates and times that we could smell it and when there were loud parties. We now have 3 pages of dates and times.

Can't wait for the first week of Jan when I can send all this to the Body Corp. At this point I just want them gone so I can actually use my balcony again.

Comment

Working...
                      X