Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something I have learned being on either side of F&B service is that someone who is nice to you, but rude to the serving staff (waiter/barman/chef etc) is NOT a nice person.
    i agree; if you can't treat people with respect and dignity no matter their position, you're not a good person, regardless of what you do.

as for the single toaster issue, the manager's a fargin' moron; he's serving multiples, not a single family.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

One toaster?

That's it?

You don't happen to have say...10 others that just happen to be broken at the moment?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Jimzilla View Post
        So then the ringleader (RSC) asks, in what he must think is a jovial, friendly tone:
        RSC: So what exactly is the problem with making a pot of coffee for four?

Me (What I wanted to say) :... The problem isn't making coffee for four, it's making it for 84, with only enough pots for 40.
        I would have told him exactly that. I figure, as long as I'm not being deliberately "rude" to the customer and am telling them the truth, I can say whatever makes the most sense at the moment.

I do it where I work now. A memorable day from a few months ago: I was helping two customers at once with printers (different needs for each person but similar questions) while another waited patiently for help with a notebook computer. Some lady walks in, already impatient, glancing around and giving me expectant looks every couple of seconds. She'd probably been there about two minutes when she shouted, "What do I have to do to get some SERVICE around here?!" I looked her square in the eye and said, "Simple. Wait your turn." Of course, she got mad and stormed off, but I did see a co-worker helping her later.

And when we're understaffed and people start complaining about it, I'll often suggest that they call Corporate and try to convince them to give my store a bigger labor budget so they can get help and I can get more hours. I don't think it works, but management has overheard me do this, and they're trying to get me more hours in other departments, so it's not a complete waste.
        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
        - IPF

Comment

Woo!

Thank God outsiders agree with me on the one-toaster-being-shite thing. The whole hotel is still run like we only have a handful of rooms, instead of nearly 50. It pisses me off no end that us serving staff have to put up with a crappy infrastructure that prevents us from doing our jobs, and that the guests suffer as a result.

Comment

If it were me, I'd almost be tempted to bring in another couple of toasters myself. It's sooo annoying when you don't have enough supplies at work to keep things running smoothly.

If getting anymore toasters is out of the question, would it be possible to have two different breakfast seatings?? That why you wouldn't get hit with a whole shitload of people at once.

Comment

Working...
            X