This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Don't you think that's deceptive...?"

I'm sure everyone has had their share of customers who use the cry of "DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING!!!11!!" when it comes to signage that actually requires reading, and I had one on Halloween night. Thankfully, this happened after the last-minute candy rush was over, and the lady didn't get super-irate or yell or anything, so it wasn't too bad, but still. Lady comes up with a package of T.P., a bunch of other stuff, and then starts asking about why $5 wasn't deducted from her order, citing the usual cry of "But the sign said so!" Since there was no one behind her and it was slow, I agreed to follow her back to the paper towel aisle to read said sign myself, and naturally it said, "$5 off if you buy $25 of participating products". The lady had $25+ of total items, but the $7 (or whatever) pack of T.P. was the only qualifying thing in her order, so once I pointed that out to her (and opened up that week's flyer, with a box showcasing exactly what items were eligible), I, of course, got the thread title as a response. Again, she didn't scream or demand a manager or anything, but still...read the fine print, lady.

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
    I'm sure everyone has had their share of customers who use the cry of "DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING!!!11!!" when it comes to signage that actually requires reading
    Oh yes. Frequently. Now, our signs are printed in standard English, in a very clean font, the smallest letters are about 16 pt and the largest are about an inch tall. More than once, I've had to point things out to customers that are very clearly written on the signs. It is really frustrating; I mean, the whole POINT of the signs is so you don't have to constantly explain things to customers, and you end up constantly explaining things to customers anyway!

Even had one dolt ask me, "What, you expect me to read?" Um, yes. Yes, I do. Do you realize how utterly brain-rotted stupid you sounded saying that?!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have this happen from time to time at the C-store as well. My response usually varies from holding back an eye roll, to suppressing a laugh at besting the customer. Of course, most of my customers just kind of slump over, defeated, when I show them what the sign really said. Idk. Maybe I'm lucky that way?
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Without reading the OP, I shake my magic 8-ball. *I look* It says "No.

After reading the post. I love my 8-ball. Yea, it seems like reading is a dying art form. Everyday, we are a step closer to Idieocaracy. On that day, I will be a member of an underground cell of counter-stupid resistance fighters. We will go around and somehow trick people into learning how to read signs (not sure how yet, I am more of a do'er, I need an idea team to think up ideas). From the shadows, we will keep the last embers of human knowledge and civilization alive. We Will Resist!!!
        I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Even had one dolt ask me, "What, you expect me to read?" Um, yes. Yes, I do. Do you realize how utterly brain-rotted stupid you sounded saying that?!
          I still remember we were having an evening huddle and one of our managers made the comment that we all knew that customers don't read.
          "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            I agreed to follow her back to the paper towel aisle to read said sign myself, and naturally it said, "$5 off if you buy $25 of participating products"
            I know it was a rhetorical question, but as long as the "participating items" are clearly indicated.... No, it's not deceptive.

People are weird in fabric stores. I have used this example repeatedly. Say you go into a grocery store, and want to buy apples. All the apples are probably near each other. They look similar. They are all apple-shaped. Yet, they don't all cost the same. One type might be on sale, and so on. The same is true with fabric. Somehow I still get people claiming the "the sign said fabric was on sale." Yeeees. Some fabric is on sale. Or "but the other fabric was $4.99, why is this 7.99?" Because it's not the same fabric. Congrats on making my eye twitch.

I mean, I know stuff gets moved around, and people get upset because something is on sale and they can't use their coupon. This is a completely different mindset. These are people trying to tell me that all the fabric is the same, thus it should be the same price.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
              I still remember we were having an evening huddle and one of our managers made the comment that we all knew that customers don't read.
              No they do not! this was my biggest pet peeve at my former PT job. I do get that the signs weren't really marked well. Our sales would have items marked down, and then usually an additional % off the markdown price.

So we had two different signs; one would say, for example "UP TO 70 percent off the original price" and the up to would be in much smaller letters. And that was the price, with the extra % off the markdown.

The second sign would say "take an additional 50 percent off markdowns"

So the actual sale price, after the markdown and additional % off, WOULD BE as much as 70% off the original, but not every item (depended on how much of a markdown was taken)

But that didnt' stop customers from coming in, and asking "what's 70% off" meaning, and thinking, the additional % off markdowns was 70%, thereby making things almost free!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                I mean, I know stuff gets moved around, and people get upset because something is on sale and they can't use their coupon.
                Doubly frustrating for those of us who do actually read signs and try to pick out an item that isn't on sale (and thus eligible for coupon use) only to find out at the register--after the fabric has been cut, natch--that it is on sale and we can't use the coupon. Whether from unclear signage, go-backs getting put back in the wrong spot, or other customers moving stuff around, it just sucks all around. But I don't take it out on the employees. I just buy my stuff and go.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

If I didn't know I'd get yelled at by Shithead or D, I'd buy a magic 8-ball for the CDH desk.

Had one guy earlier tonight who had two frozen dinners. "These are 4/$8 but it's not coming off. Do you understand I should get one for free?" Yes, but only if I can verify it is a tag error (which I guarantee it was not).

One was ringing up at the $2 sale price, the second was a higher price (same brand, but different variety) and not included in the sale. He continued in the "do you understand" vein getting quite condescending for a few minutes even after I explained that he would have to wait, I could not leave the front end at all until the manager returned.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

This is why I have a small printout taped to my phone that reads "Pest Control."

Because of stupid questions like this.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      <cheesy accent>No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!</cheesy accent>
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

I would probably get in trouble, BUT I would also have to say that NO, I do not find it deceptive, because...READING. This is why I no longer work retail. I know I wouldn't be able to bite my tongue. (I have NO idea how I worked at the evil empire starting with W for a year.

Comment

Most of the time--but not always!--when we have a similar sale going on, the sale signs will list the participating items.

But some times they don't and the sign will just say "Products By That One Company That Used To Have The Stars And Moon Logo That Morons Thought Was Satanic Or Something." And then the person putting up the signs will just put them wherever, not by the products from that company. Leading to a total waste of time for all involved when the customer complains that their stuff rang up at a higher price.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            That One Company That Used To Have The Stars And Moon Logo That Morons Thought Was Satanic Or Something
                            You mean "Person who supervises exams at a university" and "Play poker"?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              You mean "Person who supervises exams at a university" and "Play poker"?
                              Took me a minute to figure that one out.
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Working...
                              X