X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holiday Formerly Known As Thanksgiving Debriefing Thread 2015

Black Thursday/Friday hours at the swamp were announced. We
    re opening at 2 pm Thanksgiving Day and staying open straight until 11 pm Friday. Whimper.

Guess my Thanksgiving dinner will be cold-cut sandwiches, stale chips and lukewarm soda consumed in the breakroom.

So I figured this would be as good a time as any to get this ball rolling. This thread open for commiseration.
    Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 11-06-2015, 12:57 AM.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

I will be in the call center from 8:30 til 5 on Thanksgiving and 7 - 3:30 Black Friday. I chose to work Thanksgiving to get Christmas off.

Comment

We're actually closed on Thanksgiving. However, we open at 6 AM on the 24th, the 25th, and the 27th. So, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Given the previous year, I have no idea why this was considered good. People are not shopping at our store like they used to on these days. Why should they? There are sales throughout the year which are nearly as good and don't come with the early morning and crowds.

Even if I had those days off, I would not shop. Maybe if there are any decent online deals, but even then eh.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Let's see...I KNOW I'm off the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the Warehouse is closed on Thanksgiving, and considering I was one of the few lucky ones to have Black Friday off last year, I might be working on it this year. I just hope that I get the very early shift this year, because I much rather get it over and done with -- although at the Warehouse, I really didn't mind the two times I worked late on Black Friday.

Random Craft Store, however -- lets just say that I probably scared them into thinking I'd call out on Black Friday if I got a closing shift. No, wasn't going to happen considering that the earliest anyone got out was 3 am on Saturday and most had done close to a 17 hour shift.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Uh, 2016? Did I misplace a year?

I know my store will be closed on Thanksgiving, and thrift stores don't have a Black Friday problem, really.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Nope - with stores bringing in the holiday items earlier each year, it's finally done the inevitable and "wrapped around" to a full year early, so everything's in sync with the calendar again.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Ahahaha I fucked up. Too much jubilation over FA's departure.

I changed it, or at least tried to.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working at The Client doing the usual ITSD stuff on Turkey Day.

Friday will be my Thanksgiving. I don't go shopping on Black Friday if I can avoid it.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Black Thursday/Friday hours at the swamp were announced. We're opening at 2 pm Thanksgiving Day and staying open straight until 11 pm Friday. Whimper.
                  My condolences, Irv. And meanwhile, the corporate suits who decided on those hours will be enjoying nice hot Thanksgiving dinners with their families.
                  Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  We're actually closed on Thanksgiving. However, we open at 6 AM on the 24th, the 25th, and the 27th. So, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday.
                  That is one thing I really like about our company; they're closed on Thanksgiving. And spreading the Black Friday sale out over Wednesday and Friday means that Friday is not quite so bloody insane. At least it was that way last year; heaven knows what this year will bring.

On Black Friday, we have a tradition of having a potluck for the employees. It's good for morale and means we don't have to leave the building to fight the crowds at the nearby eateries. As long as the break room's circuits can handle all the crock-pots, we're good.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    Ahahaha I fucked up. Too much jubilation over FA's departure.

I changed it, or at least tried to.
                    Gee - you don't think that would call for a spoiler alert for those of us who haven't gotten to that thread yet today?

Comment

My company is opening at 6pm on Thanksgiving and staying open until 10pm on Friday. Boss man asked me to do the 12am to 10am overnight. It will be dead for at least half of that, and I don't have to come back later on Friday, so I'm ok with it. It will most likely be me and the HR manager on the overnight.

Comment

We are closed on Thursday and don't open up until 7 am on Friday thank goodness. Two hours early is not bad (and technically when my department opens anyway). My old manager had everyone work 8 hour shifts, but he's gone and when my Lead (who is pretty much acting manager at the moment) saw it, all she could do was laugh.

Comment

My store is closed on Thanksgiving. But I'll be at work at 4 am on Friday for the 5 am opening. Not a big deal since I go to work at that time on Tuesdays anyway.

Only shopping I'll do is at my store. They let us get doorbuster pricing after our shift.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

That's pretty fucked up that your store opens so early on Thanksgiving day. As a hotel employee in a hotel open 24/7, I know I'll have to work Thanksgiving night, but it's usually not terrible. I'm happy that it's overnight so I can still spend the day with my family while getting the holiday pay to go with it.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Looks like I'll be at the C-Store midday on Thanksgiving, and night shift Black Firday and Saturday both. It's not usually too bad there, thankfully. The worst is when the papers come out with all the BF ads in them, and the vultures come in to pounce on them! My thoughts to anyone working in "the trenches" Thursday & Friday as always!
                              "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                              X