This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again I say what we all want to.

A woman and her mother are in my line and want two separate bills, the second being only one item.
    A lot of people will use the same card for separate bills, since all they really need is separate receipts.
    Well I knew this was going to be a challenge, since these two hags were snotty from the start because that big yellow DEBIT AND CREDIT CARDS ONLY sign wasn't obvious to them until I pointed it out.

Ok, so here's the conversation I had with the mother:

Me: Are you using the same card for the second bill or a different one?
    SC: I want them separate.
    Me: I know, I was just wondering if you were planning on using the same card for it or not.
    SC: Se-pa-rate bi-lls.
    Me: Yes, I know they're separate bills, but will you be using the same card for both bills?
    SC: Look, I've explained this to you three times. I want them separate.
    Me: *thinking: is this my life?* And I understand that, but what I wanted to know is if you'll be using this Visa for the second bill as well.
    SC: You must be tired. You can't seem to understand what I'm telling you.
    Me: The only thing I'm tired of is people talking to me like I'm stupid. Now I'm sorry that I'm not psychic, but are you using the same card twice or is the second bill, which I completely understand is to be se-pa-rate, going on a different card?
    SC: Yes I'm using the same card.

Do note that every word that came from her mouth reeked of the most condescending tone possible. She appeared to be one of those people who thinks of us retail workers as lowly, stupid peons, and I wasn't going to let that fly.

One really cool woman, who noticed the sign, remarked about the 'debit and credit cards only' sign and asked how long we've been doing it.

Me: About two years, maybe a little less.
    Customer: Two years? And you still have to ask people how they're paying just to be sure?
    Me: Yep. Sad, isn't it?
    Customer: Really sad. You'd figure after this long people would get their shit together and start paying attention. What a bunch of dumbasses.

The best part? This cool customer was only two people ahead of the woman and her mother, who turned out to be the very same dumbasses she was referring to.

Ah, life, you silly, silly, bitch.

WAY TA GO!

:dance:

You're getting good about saying what's on your mind!
    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
      You're getting good about saying what's on your mind!
      I always wonder how long it's going to take for someone to complain about me.
      In the three years I've been at my job I've only ever gotten once complaint because I wouldn't let someone jump the line.
      I've gotten a few, "That cashier isn't being nice by giving me an answer that doesn't satisfy me," but never a formal complaint to corporate like others have gotten.

I guess I've got a horseshoe up my butt, or my customers lose their spine at the first sight of someone standing up to them.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
        Customer: Really sad. You'd figure after this long people would get their shit together and start paying attention.

Poor naive customer, She must have never worked retail.
        "Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!"

Comment

The only thing I'm tired of is people talking to me like I'm stupid. Now I'm sorry that I'm not psychic, but are you using the same card twice or is the second bill, which I completely understand is to be se-pa-rate, going on a different card?
          Woot! Good for you!
          "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way...

But, Rerant, you're a bitch! In the same sort of way I am. I'm proud of you. If I ever runaway to Canada, I'm going to buy you a sammich...
            "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
              But, Rerant, you're a bitch! In the same sort of way I am. I'm proud of you. If I ever runaway to Canada, I'm going to buy you a sammich...
              I love you both. I'd pay money to see SCs taken down like that.
              "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

That earns the I.P Freleigh Golf Clap of Approval

*golf clap

Well-played.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You can't see this, because I'm on the other end of an ethernet cable, but I'm mentally hugging your knees. That was AMAZING!
                  "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Man, I aspire to be just like you.
                    Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                      my customers lose their spine at the first sight of someone standing up to them.
                      I vote that they lose their spine. Most won't want to go whining and tattletaling on the cashier who put them in their place.
                      "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

After all that fuss she made and her answer was yes? While not justified at least to an SC mind it would be logical to keep repeating that if she wanted them on different cards....but when the answer was yes? And good job on saying what you were thinking!
                        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                          I vote that they lose their spine. Most won't want to go whining and tattletaling on the cashier who put them in their place.
                          I think it's a matter of attitude. If you have the attitude that "I'm not gonna get in trouble no matter how I treat you", then people will pick up on that.

It's the same as when a person is confident vs. not confident. The same person can have different results in the same situation depending on whether they are confident or not.

Most people are used to being kow-tow to, so if someone doesn't, they figure they must have an "in" with the boss.

Comment

Good work. You've done us all proud.

Now I just need to one-up you by finding a situation in which I can sucker punch a SC. But maybe I'm just too violent... Nah, surely not.
                            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Wow.

You rock hard core.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X