This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There and back again (longish)

Inker has returned from the trenches of 60-hour workweeks! If only just to post about the special world of Graphic Design SCs.

I present to you, an e-mail exchange:
    SC: (a regular client, who always writes in all-caps) OH, ARE YOU BACK AT WORK? HOW ARE YOU FEELING? I WASN'T AT WORK EITHER, I HAD A MIGRAINE. I GET EYE STRAIN AND BLINDNESS IN MY LEFT EYE.
    Me: (hopped on antibiotics) Yeah, I get those, too. You know it's from writing in all-caps?
    SC: REALLY?
    Me: Sure, your left eye reads capital letters and your right eye reads lower-case. So reading all capitals strains your left eye more.
    SC: thats so cool.

Yes, yes it is. And while we're at it, we need to change your blinker fluid.

All good deeds....
    Client: So we're doing a fundraiser with <cancer foundation> and we want to use their logo.
    Me: Allright, if you can have them send me their vectored art, I can set it up.
    Client: So we have to contact them?
    Me: Yes, the logo is copywritten, so I can't use it without permission.
    Client: But we're giving THEM the money.
    Me:....you shouldn't have to pay for the artwork, they'll just send it to me so I can...
    Client: We're paying YOU to do the artwork.
    Me: (no, you aren't, I don't work on commission) Yes, that's fine, but I still need the foundation's permission to use their logo.
    Client: But I don't want to have to CALL them.

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, you fail.

Do they want the stain on the shirts as well?
    Client: (drops a napkin, complete with coffee stains, with some scribbles on my desk)
    Me: . . .
    Client: Can you put this on a shirt?
    Me: . . .
    Client: . . .
    Me: There's going to be an art charge.
    Client: It's a simple design.
    Me: . . . on a NAPKIN.

Words cannot express how I loathe this. And it happens more times than I care to think about.

size doesn't matter
    Client: We need this (very detailed) logo on a pen.
    Me:....(ugh) ok, it will be about ..... this size (shows them tiny tiny tiny printing area)
    Client: Wow, that's really small, huh?

It's. A. PEN. I don't know what kind of pens you use. But mine are not that big. A highly detailed logo in a space approx. 3/16 of an inch high will look like a blob. And an expensive blob, at that.

my favourite e-mail exchange ever
    This is actually an old story, but I was reminded of it the other day. We sometimes get shirt orders with VERY vulgar language, and when there is incorrect grammar or spelling, we're asked to e-mail the customer asking if it's correct. This is, so far, the best thing I have ever gotten to write in a professional e-mail:

"Please note your lack of punctuation in the sentence, 'suck it harder b****'"

Thank you, and good night.
    "I don't like it when I say people should die and then they do. I don't want that kind of responsibility. At least not until I've got a job in middle management."

Quoth Inker View Post
    my favourite e-mail exchange ever
    This is actually an old story, but I was reminded of it the other day. We sometimes get shirt orders with VERY vulgar language, and when there is incorrect grammar or spelling, we're asked to e-mail the customer asking if it's correct. This is, so far, the best thing I have ever gotten to write in a professional e-mail:

That is amazingly awesome. I have to say that would be an odd shirt to see on the street.
    "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Ahh, what I have to look forward to in the client work world. I'm currently doing graphic design at a PR company in the New Business department, so WE get to come up with our proposal designs and so whateeeeeever we want. It's wonderful. Unfortunately my time here is coming to an end (internship) and I'm venturing into the great wide world of...... clients. (shudder)

Comment

Quoth Inker View Post

That's almost signature worthy!
        "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Quoth Inker View Post
          Me: Sure, your left eye reads capital letters and your right eye reads lower-case. So reading all capitals strains your left eye more.
          SC: thats so cool.
          *snrk*

Did the client really respond in all lower case after that?

Although, all-caps writing does lead to eye strain. They actually did studies to confirm that.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
          X