Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it with people and their cars?

This didn't happen to me, but it was relayed to me by my coworkers who were doing carts in the lot and had some guy flip out at them over his car. Carts didn't even hit his car (or any car for that matter), but still lost it, why? Because the carts were too close to his car and *could* have dented it (they were 3 feet away according to CWs)

I often wonder why people who are worried about this sort of thing don't park as far away as possible in the parking lot. I've often done that, although not because I'm worried about my car -- it's just easier for me to leave without having to peer past a forest of other vehicles for moving vehicles or pedestrians heading for their own cars.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

They think inanimate objects are an extension of their human worth?
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, as somebody pointed out in the other thread about this if people are buying a car with the intention of re-selling it at some point, they'd prefer to have it in as pristine shape as possible when they try to re-sell it.

I tend to drive my vehicles until they literally start shedding parts on the road. My current vehicle is a 2004 Pontiac Vibe; it's not likely to have much of a re-sale value other than for scrap, so ... as long as nobody damages it to the point where major repairs are required (like the idiot who backed into the driver's door of my last vehicle, making it nearly impossible to open), I'm not too worried about dings and dents.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
          I often wonder why people who are worried about this sort of thing don't park as far away as possible in the parking lot.
          Because it's inevitable that some asshat in a pile of junk that just barely runs will forgo all 130-thousand empty spaces, and park two inches from you, kicking their door open hard and denting your car.

Still annoyed at that one... Shoulda submitted it to insurance.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            They think inanimate objects are an extension of their human worth?
            <That comment is just too good to pass up.>

It is well known that some people think their inanimate object (monster truck) is an extension of a certain body part (you know which one).
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Oddly enough, I used to drive a little Chevy Metro, and had NO problems with ...body part image issues. (although it did hurt when that idiot mangled the hood by no-look backing into it)

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                ... some people think their inanimate object (monster truck) ....
                ... also spurts cars ...
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I cannot comprehend how this concept cannot be comprehended. Someone who understands doesn't need an explanation. Someone who doesn't understand cannot have it explained, but I'll try. Yes, it is just a material possession but it is MY material possession. A dent on it caused by some ignorant and careless moron is super annoying. And you have a constant and permanent reminder of the carelessness and ignorance of this moron. Take something you care about, put a big scratch in it, whack it with a hammer, spray paint a big X across it. Hey, it's still usable, but it's no longer right, it's no longer perfect. Do you get annoyed when some idiot texting bumps into you? No real harm done, but it's something that happened due to the careless ignorant actions of a moron.
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                  Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Whether or not a dent in a car is worth throwing a fit over is beside the point, no carts touched any cars and some asshat still went off on some coworkers over it.

Comment

Today's Retail comic seems appropriate...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        Because it's inevitable that some asshat in a pile of junk that just barely runs will forgo all 130-thousand empty spaces, and park two inches from you, kicking their door open hard and denting your car.

Still annoyed at that one... Shoulda submitted it to insurance.

Okay, I know it wasn't actually funny, not then and not now, but ... all I can say is I'm sorry about the assholes out there. Some people just shouldn't HAVE vehicles.

As I've mentioned I drive a box on wheels but I still like to park AWAY from other vehicles, even if it's only one space away. I've had the wind catch my driver's door and whip it out of my hand and if it's going to do that again I'd prefer it didn't slam the damn door into somebody else's vehicle.
                        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                          I cannot comprehend how this concept cannot be comprehended. Someone who understands doesn't need an explanation. Someone who doesn't understand cannot have it explained, but I'll try. Yes, it is just a material possession but it is MY material possession. A dent on it caused by some ignorant and careless moron is super annoying. And you have a constant and permanent reminder of the carelessness and ignorance of this moron. Take something you care about, put a big scratch in it, whack it with a hammer, spray paint a big X across it. Hey, it's still usable, but it's no longer right, it's no longer perfect. Do you get annoyed when some idiot texting bumps into you? No real harm done, but it's something that happened due to the careless ignorant actions of a moron.
                          I do comprehend this part and yes, what you're describing is a normal human reaction that's understandable. I've gotten frustrated at people for being careless with my belongings and then not apologizing. I felt that way because at times to have anything at all I had to sacrifice.

My comment was in regard to people who put too much trust in material objects in the first place, to an over-arching degree. That's different than what you've described. There's 1. OK, I'm upset that this thing I've worked for is damaged (and yes, after a little while I'm over it because that's just how I personally am) and 2. I'm going to spend tons of money I don't have on a really nice vehicle to prove that I'm worth something. Neither of us falls into the second category.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                            It's akin to being the only person in a theater, and right before the movie starts, someone enters and sits down two seats away from you.

Comment

Or when you're in a bathroom with five stalls and someone goes in the one right next to you!

On another note years ago a guy flipped out over a drop or two of water being put on his car....WATER!!! in a state that rains all the time. Seriously?
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X