This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found a new way to not get a job!

Hey oh folks! How's it been? I've been lurking mostly. So I graduated from school in May and have been trying to get a job lined up since March. Its been pretty darn frustrating with not much success.

Well finally I lined up a couple of interviews with a major company that does pumps all over the country. The pluses...great pay, its right up my alley and experience from the military, and it would only be about two states away from my family (I have long ago given up on finding work where I live).

Minuses..the hours are INSANE (like 60-80 hours a week), and I would be traveling all over (the area of responsibility includes everything from Ohio to Main, down to Virginia). I would literally be living out of a work truck. Also, I wouldn't really be utilizing my mechanical engineering degree. Not to sound like a dick, but I kind of want to get something out of the pain.

But I figured...screw it. So I drive up to the facility and stay overnight. I do about 5 interviews with the site folks, ranging from gauging my background, to how much I actually understand about various industrial fluid systems.

I nail it. Completely nail it. They were talking about reimbursing me to break my lease a month early just to get me to start quicker. I agree and as I am leaving, the one guy remembers to tell me I got to do a physical for liability reasons and do I have any potential issues.

"Not really...I mean I got a birth defect but that didn't keep me out of the military"

They tell me not to worry and that just to be sure, they are making a few phone calls just to check with higher ups. I get out to the parking lot before I get a call telling its a no go.

Fucking sucks. I put in a LOT of time and energy on landing this job.
    "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Just file that under "Never tell a perspective employer any more than they ask for."

Although...
    It probably saved you the hassle of getting the physical and then being told no.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So, wait... They decided not to give you a job based on a physical imperfection that the U.S. military- whose standards are fairly high, as I recall- didn't think was important enough to reject you over? That seems a tad discriminatory...

Comment

I think, if you're an American, they may have violated Americans with Disabilities Act with that, especially if you are capable of performing the job with or without reasonable accommodation. I'm not a lawyer, but that's always what I've understood the Act to mean.

Comment

Barracuda, the tough part is proving that. If they didn't tell Diablo WHY they decided not to offer him employment, it's just his word against the company's. If they put anything like that in writing, then it becomes a whole other kettle of fish.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Update...

yeah as someone prior mentioned, it would have been my word versus the company in regards to why they didn't hirer me. I have actually run into this before and while its frustrating, its a much bigger pain in the ass to go through the physicals, waste everyone's time, just to get disqualified.

On the positive, I have a new job. I am in the process of moving out of my current slum in Baltimore to Roanoke, VA in the morning. Even better, the pay is higher and the job involves a lot of international travel so I am pretty damn stoked.
            "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Comment

Congratulations on the new job!
              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Diablo View Post

On the positive, I have a new job. I am in the process of moving out of my current slum in Baltimore to Roanoke, VA in the morning. Even better, the pay is higher and the job involves a lot of international travel so I am pretty damn stoked.
                Oooh, I love Roanoke. Lived there seven years, so it's the closest to a hometown I've ever had

Good luck with the new job!
                My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

welcome to the nighborhood and good job on landing the job ^^

((lives down in TN, but a half hour from the TN/VA border))
                  It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Diablo View Post
                    Sounds wonderful! I hope it's everything you wanted.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Sucks about the earlier job, but it's their loss.

Congratulations on the new job!

Comment

Conga rats on the new job!
                        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                        -----
                        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Congrats! As someone that lived in a Baltimore slum *cough*Waverly*cough* for over a year extra congrats on that.
                          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Sounds like the first job did you a favor. After all, if you had actually taken that job, you would (from what I read) be working longer hours, traveling more, and getting paid less than the job you eventually landed. So congrats, enjoy the new job, have fun spanning the globe, and please, report in from time to time.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                            X