This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I ask for time off?

Usually, I'd just tell my supervisor about how I need a day off two weeks in advance because I need a break or I have something planned, blah blah...

but, erm, in this case...

Well, first off...

Does anyone know about asian double eye lid surgery? It's a plastic cosmetic surgery where a person goes from having monolids to doublelids.
    "What's monolids? What's doublelids?"

I have no idea how to explain except through his picture:

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001...31_xlarge.jpeg

It's a basic surgery that a lot - emphasis on a lot - of asian (girls) get. In my case, my mother, all my aunts, and most of my grandmas were already born with double eyelids.

For some reason, I didn't get them.

So my mother is planning to schedule a surgery in December and I need to tell my boss that I need a whole week off which I've never actually done before; only one or two days at a time.

I'm planning to ask some time this month of September so it'll be 2 months in advance rather than 2 weeks since its for so many days. But the awkward part is telling her why - and I sorta can't avoid the "why" since my eye lids will be swollen and have really weird, unnaturalness going on for a few months after. Yuck.

As to why I need a whole week off, is because once I get the surgery, I need at least 5 -7 days to cold compress and warm compress my eyes along with applying antibiotics over and over to the stitches.
    Then get the stitches out the 7th day.

Anyone know a good way to ask for the time off?
    I'm sort of hesitant to go up to my boss and be like, "Hey, J, I need a week off in December to get some plastic surgery done. Is that ok?"

---

also, for any who wonder why I'm getting plastic surgery done on such a minor detail is because 1) my eye lashes curl downwards and scratch my cornea, which can be prevented by me constantly curling my eyelashes throughout the day or by wearing contacts. Both are pretty hard to keep up as I have dry eyes which allow me to have contacts for only a few hours and come on, who curls their eyelashes over and over? 2) beauty/impossible for me to put on eye makeup 3) it's an Asian thing?

It looks like you're basically getting your epicanthic fold reduced.

I'd tell them what you said in the last paragraph. It isn't entirely cosmetic, because a scratched cornea could get infected, which could be very serious.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
      It looks like you're basically getting your epicanthic fold reduced.

I'd tell them what you said in the last paragraph. It isn't entirely cosmetic, because a scratched cornea could get infected, which could be very serious.
      I knew that my cornea being scratched was a bad thing.
      But I didn't know it could get infected.

Now I'm starting to panic because the fact that they haven't gotten infected yet makes me feel like they eventually, very soon - like my days are numbered.

I'm starting to panic. I must google this before I flip a table.

Also, thank you. Now I just need to set the date so I can know which week.

Comment

Just let your boss know that you're having surgery, and that it will require at least X number of days off. If she asks what for, just explain that it's a minor corrective thing to prevent problems down the line that could damage your eyesight.

I have a tiny, tiny scratch to my left cornea, and it annoys the ever-loving crap out of me. It's just below the center of my eye, so I can see it when I'm looking at something close like, say, a computer screen, but no matter how much I try, I can't actually look at it since it's on my eye and every time my eye moves to get a better view, it moves too. >_<

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

"Hey, J, could I ask for the week of # in December off? Im getting an eyelid surgery to keep my eyelashes from scratching my cornea" ...?

Comment

Just say that you are having some surgery done. They do not need to know the entirety of your surgery. If you wanted to really embarass them though, you could blush, look down and mumble something about it being for a private area

ETA: Just make sure that you get a medical certificate from the clinic/surgery you are going to.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              Just say that you are having some surgery done. They do not need to know the entirety of your surgery. If you wanted to really embarass them though, you could blush, look down and mumble something about it being for a private area

ETA: Just make sure that you get a medical certificate from the clinic/surgery you are going to.
              LOL no. I need my job.

A medical certificate? Can I just ask the place for it one?

But yeah, I dont want to really tell them but it'll be obvious i did something to my eyes... :T

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                But yeah, I dont want to really tell them but it'll be obvious i did something to my eyes... :T
                So? When you ask for the time off, just tell them it's for surgery to correct a medical problem. If they insist on knowing when you get back, you can tell them precisely what you had done, or you can say "I had a medical problem. End of discussion."
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

All you have to tell them is that you need time off for some minor corrective surgery. Put simply, they have no right to pry any deeper into the reasoning. If they try to claim otherwise, inform them the labour board and medical board disagree.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I agree with everyone else it seems... just tell your boss you need (it looks like 10 days total?) time off for a medical procedure or surgery. As a manager myself, I would be okay with that - especially since you seem to have a good record of not asking for time off needlessly

Forgot to add - good luck with your surgery!

Comment

Tell them you are having surgery (they don't need to know what kind and can't ask in the US) and you will bring in a cleared to work/or restrictions note when you return. Do not offer up any more information than that, they don't need to know.

Comment

thank you everyone! I asked for the time off--rather, it was a heads up because the time around where I requested the time off is when work gets hectic. I dont have a specific surgery date and my supervisor was totally fine with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X