Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had to send Animal Planet an email last night...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to send Animal Planet an email last night...

One thing I really hate is people stating false and misleading information as fact and this one is just chock full of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFf0I...eature=related

Animal Planet's "Dogs 101: German Shepherd".

One of their opening statements is wrong (yep, right off the bat).

"was the original canine movie star"

Sorry, while Strongheart and Rin Tin Tin both were canine movie star pioneers and helped lead the way for success stories like Lassie and Benji, the GSD was NOT the first canine movie star.

That honor goes to a turn of the century border collie (presumed by some pictures) named "Jean" a.k.a. "The Vitagraph Dog". Jean was in 18 films between 1910 and 1913, even starring or co-starring in several of the films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitagraph_Dog
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1255970/

As you notice Jean's last film was in 1913. Strongheart was born in 1917 and Rin Tin Tin was born in 1918.

At 2:25 they say "and in recent years, even white".

Again, this is wrong.
    Here is a link to the pedigree for the first German shepherd (yes, you can trace any GSD back to him - this is how well they've tracked them):
    http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/1208.html

Look at the maternal grandfather:
    http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/pedigree/8309.html

Granted - we're back into the "coninental shepherd" stage but that is a white shepherd. White shepherds have always been a part of the breed since the beginning but it was always considered a fault. It was even discouraged to the point that in the past, possibly even in recent years, white GSD puppies were culled at birth to hide that gene from the lines (I don't know why it was considered so dangerous).

2:50 - they only mention the Dutch attempting to cross breed wolves and GSDs and that it was a failure. While this is true there are two common GSD / wolf hybrids in existance today, one being the Czechoslovakian Vlcak (wolf dog). It is a wolf with the temperament of a German shepehrd. There were some successes.

4:20
    "Heads the canine list with dog bites" this is true but there are two facts that are NEVER mentioned when this is.
    1) German shepherds are the most popular breed in the world. Statistically, even a lower dog / bite ratio the GSD could still easily have far more bites than any other breed.

2) If someone broke into my house and my dog bit them in defence - that is still considered a bite and GSDs are the #1 dog in the US for protection work.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post
    4:20
    "Heads the canine list with dog bites" this is true but there are two facts that are NEVER mentioned when this is.
    1) German shepherds are the most popular breed in the world. Statistically, even a lower dog / bite ratio the GSD could still easily have far more bites than any other breed.

2) If someone broke into my house and my dog bit them in defence - that is still considered a bite and GSDs are the #1 dog in the US for protection work.
    3) Is it the list of reported dog bites, or have they tried to account for unreported dog bites? Due to the relative sizes of the dogs involved, a GSD bite will cause a more serious injury than a Chihuahua bite, and is more likely to require medical attention. As a result, a higher proportion of GSD bites than "yappy purse dog" bites will be reported.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

and i agree ... percentages matter just as much as numbers of bites

cos if you have 100 dogs and 70 of them are GSD well obviously the GSD would have more bites than the other 30 dogs.

Say the GSD only had one bite each that'd still be 70 bites.
      but say the other 30 dogs are oh... a beagle and great dane. so 15 dogs for each.

say the beagles bite 3 people each - that's only 45 bites
      and the danes bite 4 each, that's only 60 bites.
      both would be less than the GSD but... the GSD would have a lower percentage of bites.

well in my example it would be 100% for them
      but 200% for the beagles and 400% for the GD

although i like a lot of animal documentaries, i agree... sometimes they sacrifice facts and reality for their crowd-appeasing blurbs.

when i did my report on the March of the Penguins, this was one of the issues I brought up. They made a lot of assumptions about the emotions of the penguins, to add to the tension and drama, but had no proof that any of the creatures had human-based emotions.

hey i'd say write in to them. maybe post it on their message boards.

Comment

... remind not to state anything like, Star Wars as fact around Draggar. I'm scared.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

They had a few facts wrong in Cats 101....they said the Maine Coon was the largest breed, then they said the Ragdoll was, then they said the Norwegian Forest was.

Still like the shows, I like seeing all dah kittehs.

I think they got the year wrong for Susie (the cat whim gave birth to the Scottish Fold breed). Think they said 1960....she walked on to the farm in 1961 (ok, I am nitpicking there)

Let is know if they write back, draggar
          "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
          "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I did get what looks like an automated response (not a bad one, mind you) last night:

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting Animal Planet. We appreciate your correspondence
            and for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us about
            Dogs 101.

In an effort to ensure the highest quality programming, comments such as
            these are taken very seriously. Each and every comment is forwarded on to
            our programming executives for review and consideration. Maintaining the
            integrity of all of our networks is our primary goal. It is these types of
            comments that contribute to creating change and improving our programming.

Again, thank you for contacting Animal Planet.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations
            Animal Planet
            Quote Dalesys:

Comment

In other words, "duly noted and ignored".
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

star wars as facts?

you mean it's not real?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  star wars as facts?

you mean it's not real?
                  I'm just saying, that I would never tell Draggar that in Empire strikes Back, Luke was attack by a sasquat.

I SHOULD KNOW that is indeed a Wampa, and that I'm spreading false information by ever claiming otherwise.

(I do hope that Draggar knows I've been joking. Right?)
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
                    (I do hope that Draggar knows I've been joking. Right?)
                    Did you say something?

Well, a fan site or something like that is one thing but a program branded as a documentary is another.
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                    X