This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halifax Suck

Hey all, was in Halifax the same time as the Halifax International Fleet Review when I witnessed this little moment of suck.

T'was the end of the day and I was in a little shop by the water buying souvenirs for my friends and family. I had just made my purchase and was about to walk out when I heard this lovely exchange:

C: Cashier
    SC: You know the drill.

C: *fairly straightfaced* Hi, how you doing?
    SC: *with the snottiest tone I've ever heard) Actually, not too good. I at least expected a smile or something when I got to the counter.
    (C shifts nervously)
    (SC goes on EW rant about how her husband is in the Navy and they're there for the Fleet Review rabble rabble rabble.)

Now, before you ask, no the cashier didn't smile at her. She did however, pleasantly ask how the SC was doing that day. If it hadn't been for my non-CS friends practically dragging me out of the store, I would've given that woman a piece of my mind. How on earth was this poor cashier supposed to know that your husband was in the navy seeing as how you weren't wearing a great big sign that said "Military Wife". On that note however, why should it give you the right to act that way? You're just giving military people every where a bad name.

Also, it was the end of the day and the store was closing soon, so give the poor cashier a break! She could've had a very long day and just didn't feel like smiling, it was still a perfectly pleasant transaction until you opened your mouth

At work I'll nod at people if I pass-by within 5-feet or so, but I've found that smiling automatically makes a lot of guys think I'm hitting on them, then I can't shake them! I don't know how a simple smile makes them think I want to go on a date! Of course if I stop to address someone I smile. But then again, security guards are supposed to be serious, so I guess it works

You're kinda darned if you do, darned if you don't.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Isn't it sad how a little common courtesy is ignored for the sake of unreasonable expectations?
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that a fake smile is worse than none at all? At work I can go in full-auto mode and smile as if it were a reflex, but for many forcing a smile is like trying to raise the dead, unlikely and ghastly when it succeeds.

This Navy wife needs a reality (body)check.

Comment

Quoth Jay Fear View Post
          Am I the only one who thinks that a fake smile is worse than none at all? At work I can go in full-auto mode and smile as if it were a reflex, but for many forcing a smile is like trying to raise the dead, unlikely and ghastly when it succeeds.
          Kind of like this smile?

Comment

Grrr. If I was social savy with strangers irl I would've wanted to rip her a new one.

On a side note: *chanting excitedly* omgyouwenttoHalifax!

Comment

Working...
            X