Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

But I made a reservation 3 months ago !!!111!!11!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But I made a reservation 3 months ago !!!111!!11!!

One is more a reading than a sighting...

Yesteday, in Our Fair City, we had a rather substantial power outage that lastest from 4:30 to about 7:00 and affected a major portion of our downtown area.

This, of course, breeds a HUGE amount of suckiness on behalf of EWs!

(read in our major paper) One server at one of our more premiere restaurants in OFC is located on the 54th floor of one of tallest buildings had just got to work for her shift when the power went out and was waiting in the lobby to go up (apparently their change rooms are in the basement of the building to leave more room for the restaurant itself).

As she was waiting in the lobby, an irate customer approached her furious that he had made reservations 3 months ago for a window table and was not happy about this situation!

WTF dude! I'm sure it was her fault entirely. She really just wanted to lose an entire nights tips (the tips there are great!) and pay so she caused the power outage just to piss you off?

Myself - I was fortunate (again!). I had just stepped off the subway and was walking across the street towards my local pub when the power went down (my stop is the last stop before the subway usually goes down and shuttle buses start running when there's a power-off situation).

In my neighbourhood - it's a strange set-up for the hydro situation. We border on 2 areas - the main grid for OFC and a former region. It's always a scattering of who has their power off and on. Across the street - a smattering of stores were out and some on either side of those stores had their power on.

/BG

DH meets me and we sit down on the patio to watch the usual mayhem a power-outage causes during rush hour. No end of suckiness with the traffic - but nothing earth shattering.

However, as this is my local, and I am very familiar with the staff, owner, regulars, etc., we know what to expect during these unexpected events. Only one chef in the kitchen on a Monday - it's usually a slow day food-wise. Weekday Chef is keeping staff apprised of how long orders will take since he's backed up and working alone. Staff relays wait times to customer. Customer agrees or order is cancelled.

Since, as I mentioned, this pub is across the street from the last working subway stop on the line, it's slammed by 5:30. Totally full! Chef is not prepared for it. Not enough of anything has been prepped for this. People are complaining, but are placated by the speed of drinks coming out, so meh - nothing too much there.

Doors are being kept open from the restaurant to the patio so the servers can get in and out quickly. Not environmentally great, but hey, when you have a tray of pints in hand, you're not going to be trying to hold open a door every few seconds and people are walking in and out all the time. I go inside to check out the power situation on the TV newscast and get another bevvie (server is slammed and only on her 4th day, so I'm getting our drinks from the bartender to help out).

Asshole and girlfriend gets to the patio, gets to the doors, walks through and promptly closes both sets of doors, loudly announcing -"Are we cooling the outdoors now?".

Owner gets up, re-opens the doors and sits back down again glaring and saying not to touch the doors - he is not at home here.

Unperturbed, the idiot then asks "Well, are you serving then?".

Dude - everyone's watching the news, the lights are on, the bartender is right in front of you pouring pints and mixing drinks. The restaurant is full and you're seriously asking if we're open and serving drinks?

My friend with a great streak of sacrasm merely turns to the owner sitting beside him and says in all seriousness - "I think he's cut-off before he's even been served".

Sure enough - owner does indeed say that, yes, unfortunately, they are closed due to the power outage .

Idiot and girlfriend turn and walk out - a bit puzzled, but do leave.

Everyone just cracks up!

Morons...
    Last edited by TOLady; 07-06-2010, 02:53 PM. Reason: Adding where the reading part is...
    No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

SWEET!!! Go Owner!
    *ahem*.... heeere's your sign!
    I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

What a jackass that last guy was, glad he bought that though.

Once my boyfriend and I went to a Denny's late at night and right after ordering the power on the whole block went out. BF tells me that some woman was actually asking the waitress snotily "what do you plan to do about it?".
      wouldn't lube work better in a f***ing machine?
      ----
      Yes, that’s right. It’s a pair of gold foil headphones. Gold foil. Finally, headphones just as awful as your taste in music.

Comment

He's the owner, it his restaurant and he does bear the right to refuse service. GO OWNER!
        "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Quoth TOLady View Post
          Asshole and girlfriend gets to the patio, gets to the doors, walks through and promptly closes both sets of doors, loudly announcing -"Are we cooling the outdoors now?".

Unperturbed, the idiot then asks "Well, are you serving then?".
          Dude, he's seriously dumb. I mean, if keeping the door's open is cooling the outdoors, doesn't that mean the power's on? If it's off, it wouldn't matter if the doors were open. Oh, but that's right, I'm using logic. I gotta stop doing that.

Comment

Quoth aj_prettiful View Post
            Oh, but that's right, I'm using logic. I gotta stop doing that.
            But, but, but ... then you'll become one of THEM!!!! AHHHhhhhhh.....
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth ravevolution View Post
              He's the owner, it his restaurant and he does bear the right to refuse service. GO OWNER!
              I love seeing managers/owners with a spine. Sadly, there are soooo many of them out there that would have kissed his ass.

Guy sounds like a great boss.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                Guy sounds like a great boss.
                Actually, he's usually not this good. I've written about him before (http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=62589) and his propensity for under-staffing on shifts and other asshatidness, but he'd been drinking most of the day, so was in a rather "relaxed" mood when this happened.

Trust me - the next day he was back to his old self and under-scheduled for the weekend - again.

2 servers had booked off more than a month ago (reminding him every time he did a schedule that they were off this weekend), so he's scheduled the 3 newbies that have only been there less than 2 weeks, letting another experienced server have the weekend off as well as the other 2. The newbies are all very young and for 1 of them, it's her first real restaurant job. They like talking to each other a lot and sometimes forget they have customers - especially on the patio.

The other Chef couldn't handle it - he panicked when the orders started to pile up and went and hid in the basement "doing inventory" in the middle of a rush - so they've let him go and are in the midst of hiring a new chef. The boss had been warned that Chef couldn't handle it, but didn't want to accept it and do something about it.

He has a habit of ignoring things that are going bad, hoping they'll fix themselves. They don't... I won't even go into the women's bathroom situation.

They've got a great woman in the kitchen, but she's also very new and just out of chef's school - she handled 2 hours of a busy brunch alone last weekend with aplomb, so I'm confident she can handle a full brunch by herself until they hire someone new. She's very organized and extremely calm and works clean, which really helps.

I almost forgot - right now, bars and restaurants are able to start liquour service at 10:00am for FIFA. This particular bar is also PACKED with soccer fans. The weather should be great, so the patio will be packed, as well as the inside with the soccer fans.

Should really be an interesting weekend.
                Last edited by TOLady; 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM. Reason: Add Soccer information
                No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

Working...
                X