X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARGH!!!

Bloody fricking idiots.

They did the install for the 20mbit internet, and come to find out, I can't use an alternate ISP with my higher speed internet. this means that I lose my static IP address, something I double and triple checked with them BEFORE I signed up for the upgrade.

I can buy a static IP through Qwest, at $6 a month and a $25 setup fee. Fuck that.

I'm currently on hold with Comcast, to see what their business prices are so I can keep the static IP for my home server.

I'm at my wits end, and I openly yelled at the rep who answered. I'm ready to cancel service today if I can get reasonable service with the cable company, a group I absolutely despise. bleh.
    Last edited by Midorikawa; 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
      heh. I can go you one better I'm with Bell (Sympatico Wimax service, which is delivered via cell phone signal - so if it rains or there's a storm or someone looks at it funny, the service goes all wonky and won't hold), and whenever there's a problem with ANYTHING to do with the service, they tell me it's my router, and they can't support that.

Thing is, I don't HAVE a router!!!!!!
      "Yes, the problem is with your router."

"But I don't even have a router."

"See, that's your problem?"

"No, I mean, I don't need one."

"Oh, then problem solved. Have a nice day. Click."

"Mother@#%&*"

When we had Comcast internet and cable, they were the only dogs in the pen, and they treated everyone like crap because they could. They literally could not give us internet access during the day because people at the top of the hill were logged on and there wasn't enough Internet left for the rest of us. Or something like that. With three people taking online classes at the college, this didn't really fly.

Then all of a sudden Verizon starts laying down cable and surprise, surprise, Comcast is all smiles and helpful. Too late, bud. You can't give us internet during the daytime hours, but Verizon can.

The only problem we've had with the Verizon in our area is that the day they were supposed to install (arrive between 9 and 12 or something) they never showed up. Long about 1, Mom called and they said they weren't coming- there was a problem with our order (there wasn't) and they had to straighten it out. Next month was the soonest they could come out.

Once we actually got them into our house, though, they've been pretty good.
      Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

my current cable hasn't been bad. steady connection most of the time. it's gone down maybe twice.

tho the best i ever had was in japan. tho it takes a good month to get it installed, but once it was finally up, it was pretty fast

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          yet another reason HOAs need to be killed off. They shouldn't be able to decide something like that.

I live in the land of Verizon FIOS but don't want to give up cable cause of the on demand stuff......sigh.

btw since when can they just change circuits on the fly like that.....I work in dsl support/installs/lnp for a phone company and it's never a quick process like that.
          My condo is involved with a HOA. I'm only allowed to have white/offwhite curtains or blinds.

I have ATT DSL for 20$ a month. I haven't really had any problems with them, surprisingly. The only thing was, since I'm no-land-line DSL they had to cancel my contract when I moved and start a new one. It took a bit of explaining for them to figure out why I shouldn't have to pay an early termination fee.
          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Only one thing worse than being told to bypass the router: having the install tech try and lecture you on why you CAN NOT use a router with their service. Tho showing him my Net+ and CCNA kinda shut him up about networking 'recommendations'

And yeah it sounds like too much crap from the ISP hopefully some other ISP may be able to expand to your area.
            Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
            pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

I was told my problem with Concast was my router, problem was I hadn't turned it on. I had bypassed my router to make sure it wasn't the problem, and the internet still cut out all the time.

I ended up setting up the router and never had a problem with it cutting out till I got rid of the service.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                My condo is involved with a HOA. I'm only allowed to have white/offwhite curtains or blinds.
                Is that what can be seen from the outside? Or do they actually think they can come and dictate what color they are on the inside?
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Gah!! I know how you feel! I have the biggest idiots known to man running my internet/cable service! We couldn't figure out why we couldn't run some online games. And we tried everything... The tech that came over checked out my boyfriends collection of games and told us he didn't know why our internet wasn't working right. For like two YEARS we weren't able to play games or do much but we just thought something was wrong with the computer.

Finally, my boyfriend had a cow and called the cable company and they told us that they capped our internet because we went over the download limit one month. We were sooo angry BUT this is the ONLY company where we live so we're stuck with morons.

It's a hundred dollars for BASIC cable and sucky internet. I can't wait to move!!!

Comment

Quoth wraiths_crono View Post
                    Only one thing worse than being told to bypass the router: having the install tech try and lecture you on why you CAN NOT use a router with their service. Tho showing him my Net+ and CCNA kinda shut him up about networking 'recommendations'

And yeah it sounds like too much crap from the ISP hopefully some other ISP may be able to expand to your area.
                    Yup, I get that all the time. I've learned to never mention the R-word anymore.

If I play dumb and pretend that I don't have any of the other equipment I actually do have there's fewer things for them to blame it on. I do tech support myself, and the level of "tech support" from telecommunications companies is just aggravating. It makes me ashamed of my field!

My job is to solve problems.

Their job is apparently to avoid solving problems. Any tiny excuse and "therouteristheproblemremoveitanditwillworkfine*cl ick*" and then you need to dial back again, wait on hold for 30 minutes, and try to avoid that trap again.

At this point I've found out that its best to pretend to be Amish. I do not have a router. I do not have a computer. I do not have a wireless phone. I do not have a cell phone. I only have a wired landline phone.

It bypasses all of their avoiding-fixing-it traps though.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      ...At this point I've found out that its best to pretend to be Amish. I do not have a router. I do not have a computer. I do not have a wireless phone. I do not have a cell phone. I only have a wired landline phone...
                      And I had to crank my phone to ring you up.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                        At this point I've found out that its best to pretend to be Amish. I do not have a router. I do not have a computer. I do not have a wireless phone. I do not have a cell phone. I only have a wired landline phone.

It bypasses all of their avoiding-fixing-it traps though.
                        All but one:

Crappy Phone Co. Tech Support to Amish Guy: You're not pulling the string tight enough when you speak into the tin can.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Is that what can be seen from the outside? Or do they actually think they can come and dictate what color they are on the inside?
                          the solution to that is to have white sheers for the part that faces the outside, and then have whatever you want on the inside.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            the solution to that is to have white sheers for the part that faces the outside, and then have whatever you want on the inside.
                            Thank Goddess my complex is nowhere near that anal. Plus, every apartment has venetian blinds anyway. Lots of people put up drapes on the inside, too.

Hell, they encourage container plants and gardening. Which is why I've got herbs, tomatoes, and chiles!
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I KNEW it!

So, I get my bill, and it's twice what I was told it'd be. I call, and find out I was given half off of my nonexistent home phone service. So, I call in, and have been told "too bad, so sad. You shouldn't have gotten this much of a discount anyways."

To be honest, this doesn't matter. The credit was there, but screwed up. Why not fix what you promised me?

The supervisor gave me a ration of crap, instigated a shouting match with me, and told me he was removing all of the credits, at which point I told him where to stick the service and that I was cancelling. I'll have internet until the end of tonight, then comcast will do an install on the 21st. Until then, I have no real internet service. :-(
                              Coworker: Distro of choice?
                              Me: Gentoo.
                              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
                              X