This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SC at Applebee's....

A new Applebee's opened recently and renewed my faith in the chain. So, before work mom and I went to eat.

The waitress was good, so we told her as such. She said, "apparently not to these people that were sitting here (pointing to a table across from us after they were gone), the woman who was sitting there asking about the nutritional value of a certain soup and I said I don't know off the top of my head, so...."

She continued, the woman started screaming "HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW THIS INFORMATION, PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THIS STUFF, YOU ARE TERRIBLE! TERRIBLE! GET ME SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS!" According to the waitress you could hear her from across the restaurant.

She told me she had to get another server to handle the customer because she went into the break room and cried. I gave her a good tip after hearing that.

Oh, and the woman she was referring to was complaining about everything. I was glad she left when she did. As far as the soup? It was a creamy soup, of course it's not exactly going to be light.

What an SC this woman was!

I not only just started dieting and I'm also allergic to peanuts, so I'm kinda conscious about what I'm eating when I go out. I might ask for the nutritional info, but I'm sure as hell not expecting my server to be able to rattle off the caloric value, fat content, cholesterol content, etc. of the top of his or her head.

About the only thing I expect when I ask about such things is a polite "I'm not certain. Let me go check with the cook/manager/ingredient list." It's nice when the server *does* know about major allergens (nuts, shellfish, dairy, & wheat), but I'd rather they admit they weren't sure and go check than lie just to try to make me happy. Being dead wouldn't make me very happy at all.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
      About the only thing I expect when I ask about such things is a polite "I'm not certain. Let me go check with the cook/manager/ingredient list." It's nice when the server *does* know about major allergens (nuts, shellfish, dairy, & wheat), but I'd rather they admit they weren't sure and go check than lie just to try to make me happy. Being dead wouldn't make me very happy at all.
      Early on, I learned that there's a difference between telling a customer "I don't know." and leaving it at that, or telling them that you can find out. "Off the top of my head..." seemed to imply that she was trying to communicate to the SC that she did not have that information available, but next time she goes back to the kitchen, she could look it up for the SC.

Or the SC could have asked a follow-up question along the lines ,"When you get a chance, do you think you could let me know?"
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

You know, one of the selling points of my place was there was an applebees within walking distance.

There are so many restraunts within walking distance....

TacoBell (YAY!)
        KFC (YAY!)
        Two McDonalds (Meh)
        Teriyaki (Two of them!)
        2 Subway
        Little Ceaser's
        Izzy Pizza
        Carl's Jr
        Hot Dog Stand
        Vetinime's Restraunt (Terrible service)
        Two bars with famous burgers
        AppleBee's
        Three Mexican Restraunts
        This breakfast place I love (Took McGoddess there)
        Chang's Mongolian Grill

All thse. Are within walking distance, FOR ME! With my limp, I can get to most of these restraunts, within ten minutes of walking.

Those are the ones I can remember at top of head. I know there are a few more I'm forgetting.

Yet, my love of Applebees? I rarely go there. Just can't afford it.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I bet as soon as the sc heard the words "I dont know" she totally disregarded anything else that was being said. Selective hearing.

My mom can be like that sometimes. Usually because she's asking one question and not letting anyone answer before she asks another and then wonders why you're not answering any of her questions.

Comment

Why can't people like that be told to leave the premises? There is no reason for someone to yell at a waitress or whoever to the point they end up in tears. Because an SC spends money there it's considered tolerable? That's bullshit.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
              What an SC this woman was!

I not only just started dieting and I'm also allergic to peanuts, so I'm kinda conscious about what I'm eating when I go out. I might ask for the nutritional info, but I'm sure as hell not expecting my server to be able to rattle off the caloric value, fat content, cholesterol content, etc. of the top of his or her head.

Ooogh, allergic to peanuts. I'd take being celiac over any nut allergy at all because there's nuts in almost everything.

And I agree-I expect the server to have a certain amount of knowledge about the food but if she doesn't know, I'd rather she took a minute to ask someone who does know. Pulling a screaming fit does no one any good.
              Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

A server should know a lot about the food, but they rarely know everything. Menus and recipes can change over time. The nutritional values of food is not something I would expect any server to know. Besides, what is "nutritional value" for a soup? 6 on a scale of 1-10?
                Last edited by Ree; 07-17-2010, 01:20 PM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                X