Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if the mirror caused the bullet to not shatter the window, but my mom's windhshield spiderwebbed too when it got shot. From what I understand, they were in rush hour traffic on their way home, somewhere on the 405, maybe the I10 ( This was years ago, so I'm fuzzy. I don't know if the shooting happened in Compton or East Los Angeles, but I do know it was gang related.). The car had just turned at the right angle and mom bent over to pick up something she dropped. Bullet hit the part where the mirror is attached to the windshield.

This was before they had cell phones so they couldn't call the cops but I'm sure someone did. It was a rather common gang initiation back then.. the newbie would shoot at the gridlock traffic from an overpass...and gangs do not use bb guns. It just isn't 'hard core' enough. 9.9

In other gun-related thing, my brother -- a guy 20 years my senior and trained to handle fire arms, was an idiot once and pointed a bb gun at me once. With the safety off. ~.~ He thought it was on and actually pressed the trigger. Thankfully I'd gotten distracted and turned right as he shot, otherwise I wouldv'e needed a couple of stitches. The little pellet did go quite deeply into the wall.

PS: I never did say my brother was intelligent.
    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Wait a minute.

He was trained to handle firearms, and:

1) Pointed the gun at you.

2) Pulled the trigger while in an unsafe direction.

Safety regardless, both of those are bad independently. Combining them is simply reckless.

Comment

Again, I never said he was the smart one.

He doesn't always use his brain as it is often its only function is to sop up alcohol.

Anyhow, I hope the poster keeps us posted. e.e I am curious to know what happens.
        "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

Quoth AnqeiicDemise View Post
          It was a rather common gang initiation back then.. the newbie would shoot at the gridlock traffic from an overpass.
          (insert fratching comment here on what should be done to all gang members)

Back on topic, to paraphrase Judge Alex, "there is one thing that every person will remember about an encounter, and that is GUN"
          I can see someone, no matter how much training they have, to when they are being shot at to see something that looks like a gun and immediately go "GUN" without taking the time to say "well, hmm, it didn't really sound like a powder charge and it didn't leave a hole in the windshield... it must really be a pellet gun"
          When it comes to dangerous situations, we have not evolved much since the grasses of Africa, we go with the line of thinking that maximizes the percieved danger to maximize the effort into surviving, to minimize the risk of becoming some predators meal.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

There are round that when shot from a firearm wouldn't have the power to penetrate a windshield. If A .22 Short can't penetrate through both sides of a pop can, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't penetrate a auto windshield.
            They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
              There are round that when shot from a firearm wouldn't have the power to penetrate a windshield. If A .22 Short can't penetrate through both sides of a pop can, I'm fairly sure that it wouldn't penetrate a auto windshield.
              Maybe not, but I have seen a .22 round enter a human body in the right groin, bounce off the pelvis, knock around the large intestine and lodge in the left buttock.

Small caliber rounds are no joke. They'll kill you just as dead as a large caliber round.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth pssorens View Post
                What range are you shooting at that a .22 short doesn't penetrate a pop can? I've got a little .22 revolver from my dad that penetrates cans at 25-30 feet. Not nearly as fun as shooting his .44 though.

I'll agree though that a .22 round probably wouldn't penetrate tempered glass except at really close ranges. That stuff is made to not seperate and create shrapnel in a wreck, so it takes more force than you'd think to make a hole.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

And you've got to remember that a .22 short is nowhere near as powerful as a .22LR the most common .22 round and anyway, I'll I was trying to do is point out from my experience that not all rounds will fully penetrate a windshield. Also, if someone pointed a gun at my car and my windshield spider webbed, i think that I'd probably react instead of looking to see if it penetrated or not.
                  They say crime doesn't pay. That must mean what I'm doing at work is illegal.

Comment

Working...
                  X