This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Cathedral is burning

... and the 850-year-old structure will likely be completely destroyed.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

They're saying now that the two iconic towers are saved, and even the pipe organ and at least some of the stained glass.

The tall spire is gone, though...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

There are reports that much of the interior is still intact, so that's great. Hope they can rebuild. It's going to take years, though.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

The 400+ firefighters who fought the fire deserve the highest praise. That must have been a terrifying and at times discouraging effort.
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Been seeing bits and pieces of this all day o_O Their first responders deserve a nice long vacay after this!

One channel spoke with an architect (IIRC), who made a salient, yet disturbing point -- while the stone superstructure is mostly stone and will likely remain intact, most of the supports holding it up were made out of wood. Dry, centuries-old wood which (for the most part) is now no longer present. So it's gonna take a lot of careful reinforcement work, and swiftly, if they wanna save as much as possible.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Update (as of 730am Central or so), courtesy of a Twitter feed that's been following the sitch:

Notre Dame is largely intact. The ceiling held up the remains of the burning roof. And if the people I'm reading on Twitter are correct, all the stained glass is saved except one window!
            ***Edit***
            The French Ministry of Culture reports that the major removable artwork and all the relics/Treasure from the Cathedral were saved.
            https://twitter.com/franckriester/status/1117905884691292160
            ***EDIT***
            The Archbishop of Paris reports that all three main Rose Windows were saved
            Also, per the news, several French billionaires have collectively pledged several hundreds of millions of Euros to help rebuild the structure.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I am so happy to hear that! Thanks for posting!
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Yup, the damage was bad, but not devastating. What was lost was mainly wooden roof sections. There's whole sections where the phrase "that'll buff right out" is an accurate assessment. To add, almost all the relics were either rescued or were moved out prior to the fire starting.

So all in all, no fatalities (one minor injury iirc) and what was lost can be rebuilt. The cathedral still stands.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It's so good to hear how much has been saved. I wonder if there'll be provision for some of us non-French, non-Catholic, non-billionaires to donate to the reconstruction . . .

Comment

That was crazy to watch. I must admit, though it's hard to see a piece of history so damaged, I'm not as emotional about it as I feel many are. The French are so refined, even in their reactions, lol! In a few videos where the spire collapses all you here are quiet "oh!" if that had been here there would have been screaming!
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
                      It's so good to hear how much has been saved. I wonder if there'll be provision for some of us non-French, non-Catholic, non-billionaires to donate to the reconstruction . . .

Here's one

And here's a list, courtesy of CBS

There are reportedly a lot of GoFundMe sites as well, but I'm a bit wary of them, in a heavily publicized instance like this, as you can't really tell which are legit.

The French Heritage Society is New York-based; I've written to ask if they take donations from outside the U.S.
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Watching the videos of some of the first responders rushing into save the relics that were still being stored in Notre Dame was amazing.

Then I heard about the historian that had done a laser scan of the entire cathedral four years ago. He had scanned almost every part of the building down to a couple millimeters, including the spire that collapsed, because he was worried about the condition of the building. He died last year leaving a gift behind that will help rebuild.

Comment

Not looking to belittle the responders and their efforts. The vaulted stone ceiling of the cathedral did a lot to help contain the fire to the roof area. If not for the ceiling, it would have been suicide to have gone inside. It is great to see how much has been saved.

As Pixelated pointed out, be careful with your donations. There will be a lot of scams.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                            Then I heard about the historian that had done a laser scan of the entire cathedral four years ago. He had scanned almost every part of the building down to a couple millimeters, including the spire that collapsed, because he was worried about the condition of the building. He died last year leaving a gift behind that will help rebuild.
                            Yup, plus Ubisoft has a full scan as well when they did their rendition for Assassin's Creed: Origins. Pretty sure the original architect kept notes on the materials that have been preserved over the centuries. It's entirely possible to do a complete restore with the available information.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                              It's entirely possible to do a complete restore with the available information.
                              Although hopefully they will incorporate a few discreet, modern fire prevention methods this time such as treating the timber to make it fire-resistant and seeing if there's some way to install a sprinkler system or some other fire suppression method that won't destroy things below it.
                              Last edited by greek_jester; 04-18-2019, 08:42 AM. Reason: Can't spell...
                              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
                              X