This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there's a coin shortage...

...and while I appreciate you cleaning out the piggy bank, I still cannot accept $20 in pennies, nickels and dimes. That's not what "exact change" means. If you want to do that go to SCO; the system doesn't care what form of tender it gets but it will tell you if you're short (which I'm sure you are and you're hoping I miss that fact). Humans are allowed by law to refuse an "unreasonable amount" of coinage.

Most functioning people take "please pay with exact change" to mean just that; bills and then the exact change (or an approximation thereof) if you have it. I had a couple people who chose to pay with all change, and I wasn't clued in to this until I had already started tendering the transaction...I didn't direct them to the Coinstar because I know that cash takes a fee and I didn't know if they still offered store gift cards (that would also take longer, because there was no manager to be had so I couldn't suspend the transaction).
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I was going to suggest CoinStar when I started to read too.

But $20 in smaller coins is too much. I have done $20 in toonies ($2 coins) but I would not expect someone to take that in nickels and dimes.
    Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 10-17-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

The CDH sent some girls to Coinstar when they tried this a couple days ago; come to find they did have EXACT change and were none too happy upon finding out the machine took a cut (so while they did now have cash, they were short and had to run home anyway to get more

Some people who pay with mountains of change are just doing it to be a dick, but some are honestly calculating things to the penny and don't have extra handy (I've been in that situation myself a couple times).

Comment

One evening in roughly a 90 minute time frame, I had not one but TWO customers pay with all change one was about $13 and the other was $16. Not soon after someone wanted to and eventually did pay with $9 in NICKELS ONLY. At least I didn't have to count the drawer at the end of the night.
        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Trixie View Post
          ... I didn't have to count lift the drawer at the end of the night.
          That rotator cuff, you know...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Been a while since I used a CoinStar, but the ones I've seen have a deal where there's no fee if you convert it all into store credit rather than getting it back in bills/cash. Do they not do that anymore?
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Been a while since I used a CoinStar, but the ones I've seen have a deal where there's no fee if you convert it all into store credit rather than getting it back in bills/cash. Do they not do that anymore?
              The last one I used was in a Giant Eagle and you could not get store credit from it. The best no fee option was I believe an amazon gift card. But that was about 10 years ago.

Comment

Ours has no-fee gift cards, but they're national brands like Amazon, Gamestop, Starbucks etc. Back when I first started working there you could get gift cards for our store, but I haven't seen that option for quite some time...they probably saw that not many people were doing that option so got rid of it.

Comment

CoinStar gets a kickback from the gift card providers to offset their percent taken. More likely, your store opted out.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Reminds me of a really, really old Reader's Digest story, in which the change is going the other direction. A woman gets on a trolley car for which the fare is 5 cents. She hands the conductor a $5 bill and says "I'm very sorry, I don't have a nickel". He responds "Don't worry, lady, in a few minutes you'll have 99".
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Oh, how I was tempted to do something like that when I was opening cashier and some dolt paid for a muffin with a C-note (one manager would let me refuse stunts like that, one wouldn't).

The other issue I just realized is that some SCs expect us to pick through the change in their bare hand--doubleyuck in the current situation.

Comment

I clean out my change bag with my coffee, but I always limit the small coinage to one dollar's worth. I don't know how much these morons were trying to do, but sounds like a lot more than that.
                        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                          I have done $20 in toonies ($2 coins) ...
                          I love toonies. I think it's because they are two different coins in one! I remember getting a coin (either Euros or Francs, possibly Pounds?) that was three coins in one! I believe the center and outermost were silver metal, the one in between was yellow.

OK, now I have to do a search.... Hmm, looks like there were 20F coins that were three, but yellow on the outside and in the center, with silver between. Could have been those!
                          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

The only thing I hate about being on one of the "cash" registers is when, as happened the other day, somebody pays for $10 worth of stuff with a $100 bill ...

Do you see the word "bank" anywhere in our name, buddy?
                            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Man, no where around here wants you to pay in cash or coins at the moment for obvious plague reasons. They'll look at you like you just proposed bartering goats.

Comment

Working...
                              X