This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman with no sense of reality

Woman came in to pick up a online order. The team member taking care of her, who was new, clicked on the cancel order instead of customer pickup.
    Yes, we messed up. But at that point there is nothing we at the store can do. The customer has the option or reordering online or we can sell her the item and give her the discount she would receive online.
    But of course that is all the money she has and has no other way to pay. Customer calls her grandmother who comes to the store. I figured that the grandmother was going to buy the item and the girl would pay her back.
    About this time the girl receives a email from us saying that the order has been canceled and that the balance taken was zero dollars.
    She want to know why she was refunded zero dollars. I try and explain how holds and releases of money work with banks but she doesn't seam to have the mental capability to understand.
    In talking to the grandmother I admitted the mistake on our end and said I was sorry but there was nothing else I could do.
    She said she didn't believe I was sorry, like I'm enjoying wasting my time as I'm trying to leave for the day, and that there was something I could do.
    I asked her what that was. She said I could pay for the item out of my own pocket and when her granddaughter's bank released the hold on the money she would come back and pay me back.
    It took everything I had not to laugh in her face and ask her what world she was from where she thought that was a viable solution to the problem.

Her solution would require trusting not only a customer, but a customer you don't personally know or have any reason to believe they'll come through on the promise. Yeah, no.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Eeek, she was expecting a bit much! I do think though the store should have put the item to the side for her until she was able to pay for it (i.e. until her funds were released) since it was the store's mistake. But to expect a stranger to pay for it out of pocket..who has the nerve to ask, let alone expect that?

Comment

Also, that's a nasty user-interface failure if a store clerk can cancel an online order with one click, after it's arrived, with no recourse.

Comment

MM - Good point. That's either on the programmers/designers or the company brass that ordered it, tho.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            MM - Good point. That's either on the programmers/designers or the company brass that ordered it, tho.
            Or the people who were or should have been testing the system before adoption/rollout. This is what testing and review are for, and cancelling an order after it's delivered is a classic exploit.

It occurs to me that this is a real-world case of "why do we even have that lever button?"

Comment

It wasn't a ordered product but a online order of a product that was on the shelf in the store. And you have to be able to cancel orders since customers order the wrong part all the time. That is why I always check to make sure the part is correct before I do a pick up.
              The Team Member actually said "you hit cancel when your picking it up, right?"
              Which is just mind blowing when in fact you click the "Customer Pickup" button, why the hell would anyone think "Cancel Order" means "Customer Pickup"?

Comment

Quoth Dave in MD View Post
                why the hell would anyone think "Cancel Order" means "Customer Pickup"?
                For the same reason they hit "Cancel" on the card reader pin pad.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                X