Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email migration woes (warning: VERY LONG)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email migration woes (warning: VERY LONG)

Some time ago, the company where I work decided to move our emails from Outlook to Gmail. I wasn't affected until last week, when I suddenly stopped receiving my boss's emails.

He then emailed me using my personal email address, asking me if I had received his emails. Here's how it went:

Boss: Hi cindybubbles, are you getting my emails? A(sic) mentioned earlier that emails will be sent to your [company name omitted] gmail account and not to outlook. Can you check? Since I sent you work to do for [event name omitted]. Thanks!

Me: No I did not get your emails.

Boss: No problem. From now on please use [company name omitted] gmail. Thanks!

Me: Please send me the work again, and I will work on it tomorrow.

Boss: Okay done. Sent to your [company name omitted] gmail.

Me: What's my [company name omitted] Gmail address and password?

Boss: I reset it to [password omitted]. It will ask you to reset it after you log in.

Me: Thanks but what is my [company name omitted] Gmail address?

Boss: Just search for google apps for business and sign in to [company name omitted] domain.

Boss: I think the normal gmail login page also works of you put in your [company name omitted] email address.

Much later after I downloaded Google Apps Desktop for my home PC:

Me: May I download Google apps for my work PC? I did it for my home PC; it installs desktop access points to Gmail and other Google apps.

Boss: Sure.....you should add it to your ipad as well.

Me (after realizing that the Gmail app is a waste of time for me): Actually, may I install Mozilla Thunderbird for my work PC? I find that it's better for me because I can organize my email better than with the Gmail app.

Boss: How does gmail integrate with Thunderbolt? So you don't want to use Chrome and just use the web gmail interface? You use labels which is the same as folders. [then asks me to do some work]

Me: I get a lot of emails, so it's hard for me to sort them out in Gmail, since I don't get to create new folders there.

Boss: Gmail does have folders...it's just called labels. And you can create sub labels. Maybe you can install google apps sync for outlook...
    [PM me if you want the link]

That will let you use your outlook with gmail.

Me: I [did work], and am now syncing my mail using google apps sync.

Meanwhile, I'm using Thunderbird for my home PC while the synchronization process is still going on.

(This is when I realized that I could not set up Google Apps Sync for my work PC, since it is out of date. I emailed my boss a screenshot of it, hoping they will upgrade the Outlook on my work PC. Didn't happen)

Me: I can't do it for my work PC. Here is the error (shows him the screenshot). I also get this for my home PC (shows him another screenshot).

Boss: You should use your home outlook...try to go to windows update and look for service packs for your version of outlook...intall it and try again.

Me: Never mind. I just had to restart it (the outlook on my home PC), and it's working.

Now I use just that Outlook for checking work emails. It was a lot of trouble, but I made it?

What about your email migration woes?
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Thunderbird will access a gmail account, but there's no synchronization. Any modifications to the emails (like moving or deleting) will not be reflected in the gmail website, and work done on the gmail website will still end up in T-bird later (eg if you reply to an email in gmail, when you access T-bird later it will download both the original email plus your reply)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

lordlundar, are you sure you have your thunderbird set for imap? I have no problems syncing gmail and thunderbird.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Yeah that's it. I keep mine on POP3 because I want them separate. My bad.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
        X