Clear All

• The Case of the Bearded Computer

Popped open a case to see the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	2033579

Kind of explains why it was "acting funny" in the words of the user. Yeesh!

I may need to summon the British army to handle the dust bunny tribes that built that.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

GAAAAH! Run away!!!!

That is horrible. I mean... hell, we have cats and a dog, but I would NEVER let our machines get into that condition. That's just nasty.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

My PC was literally carpeted with that stuff when it was first cleaned!
      cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Mine prolly ain't much better, but with it being an iMac, i'm kinda limited as to what i can do 'bout it.
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I used to work for PCWorld's "Tech Guys" and that's not actually that bad compared to some I've seen. For a start if the owner was a smoker they either didn't smoke near it or not much.

I remember trying to clean out one particularly heavy smoker's computer who's cat must have liked to sit near it - ick, makes me heave even thinking of it.

The Register did a bit on manky computers a while back
          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/
          Not y3k compatible

Comment

I work in a parts shop--we have lots of CNC mills and lathes all grinding away. I was originally hired as a software developer to support the business operations, but I've also acquired the duties of a systems administrator and IT and tech support.

Last year, I got a call from the boss on Sunday at home--never a good sign. He called, because he'd gotten a call from the weekend supervisor, who said that one of our two servers was unresponsive. Since the CNC programmers save all their toolpath information to that server, this was a problem.

As it happened, "unresponsive" was a bit of an understatement. "Dead" would be more accurate. Pressing the power button resulted in it spinning up its fans for about five seconds, then going right back down.

As for why I bring it up in this thread...? Unfortunately, I can't find the picture I took of the inside of the machine, but remember when I mentioned "mills and lathes"? These things are computer-controlled (CNC = computer numerical control) and the various tools they use spin at somewhere between 7000 and 10000 times each second. That generates a fair amount of heat, so the machines also have a lubricant/coolant mixture that gets sprayed on the tool and the material being worked. That results in lubricant being spattered all over the insides of the machines. And turned into vapor.

The intake fans of server #1 were absolutely caked with this stuff. (It turns a disgusting dark brown when it gets old.) The problem, in fact, turned out to be that it had gotten to the motherboard, and likely shorted something out.

Luckily, server #2 wasn't in nearly as bad shape, so I got things moved over and we were back up and running early Tuesday morning. Server #2 continued (ahem) serving until servers #3 and #4, and their sealed rack cabinet with closed-loop AC arrived...

And you really don't want to know what this lubricant looks like when it cross-breeds with dust bunnies...
            "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Quoth Amadan View Post
              I used to work for PCWorld's "Tech Guys" and that's not actually that bad compared to some I've seen. For a start if the owner was a smoker they either didn't smoke near it or not much.

I remember trying to clean out one particularly heavy smoker's computer who's cat must have liked to sit near it - ick, makes me heave even thinking of it.

The Register did a bit on manky computers a while back
              http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/
              Yup those are pretty bad. Just remember, mine came out of an administrative office. No smoking, no pets. Glad I don't work there regularly
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Looks like the old server at the vetrinary hospital I helped at.

No, scratch that. It looks like the server right after it was cleaned. It was usually a lot worse... Why the hell would you keep the server in the KENNEL???
                "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Oh Dear DOG . . . that's something you WON'T see at my house at all!

I'm constantly having to buy a new can or two of air b/c my brother is fanatical about keeping his desktop pc and keyboard blown out. And I blow my laptops at least twice a month to keep those down.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I think it's time to do mine... I have some compressed air here somewhere

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      ... I blow my laptops ...
                      And smiling phases is what you have...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        I'm constantly having to buy a new can or two of air b/c my brother is fanatical about keeping his desktop pc and keyboard blown out. And I blow my laptops at least twice a month to keep those down.
                        Honestly, if you're going through that much compressed air, it would be cheaper to get a small compressor.
                        I AM the evil bastard!
                        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          Honestly, if you're going through that much compressed air, it would be cheaper to get a small compressor.
                          Yup. I wish I could talk boss into buying us one, but the budget is a constant battle since IT just costs money on the reports.

Never mind that the board keeps wanting more and more nifties for their iPads
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Our computers are in mostly sealed cases (wish I could seal them up completely), and get cleaned out at LEAST every 3 or 4 months, and the filters for the intake fans get cleaned once a month. You can't tell from our computers that we have two long haired cats, a dog, and me that sheds more than all three of them combined.
                            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I've been expecting something like that when I get around to opening up my brother's computer. He had it sitting on the floor in his super messy room. He never remembers to use the ash tray and his very long haired dog hangs out in the room a lot. It started acting funny and then stopped working. His mom thought it might be a virus but it's a mac and I know which sites he goes to so I doubt it. More likely it's full of ashes, dust, and dog hair.
                              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                              X