X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A car is NOT a safe!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-from-his-car/

I want to say that this does not surprise me in the least. You would not believe the litany of things that have been left, in plain sight, on the front seats of cars I've towed away for illegal parking. Everything from cash, to wallets, to purses, to laptops, to cellphones to bags of weed to , in one memorable case, a pair of handguns and a couple boxes of ammunition. CARS ARE NOT SECURE PLACES to leave things people.....
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

No kidding! Every year I read about people in this area whose cars are broken into while parked at places like the marina, the city park, etc., and valuable items stolen. In one case, they took a camera, a laptop, and a couple other expensive items, which makes me wonder: Who the hell goes to the damn marina and leaves stuff like that in their car? In plain sight, no less??
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

...And the best part? The overwhelming majority of car break-in victims eventually admit to the cops that they had left their doors unlocked. (apparently not the case here)
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        CARS ARE NOT SECURE PLACES to leave things people.....

Yeah, just ask Jack Whittaker.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          CARS ARE NOT SECURE PLACES to leave things people.....
          Hence why the CDs are locked away in a safe - a locked vehicle isn't considered secure for the Misuse of Drugs Act.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I just don't get how people think that their car is some impenetrable fortress.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, a safe is only as strong as it's toughest side...

Would you trust a safe with one side made of GLASS? No? Then why trust your car?

Comment

Oh, I've got a good one. Years ago, one of my hometown's Less Than Upstanding Citizens pitched a bitch in the local paper because his car was broken into, and his wallet stolen.

He parked his car downtown, in an area known for theft.

He left his wallet on the passenger seat.

He left the doors unlocked!

You see, this area has people monitoring it for, shall we say, nefarious activities. Evidently, the monitors had the gall not to drop everything when they saw that His Highness had arrived in his royal chariot, and guard said chariot and the contents thereof with their lives. The nerve! Oh, how dreadful! God forbid, they might have been dealing with an actual emergency elsewhere.

So he suggested that they be fired for not preventing the theft. I had dealings with this guy at my former place of work, and he single-handedly redefined the word "asshole".

Comment

Sounds like, if anything, he just ENCOURAGED people to come at him...

Comment

Yeah, I bet it went something like, "If we're going to steal, it might as well be from this asshole."
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I have very little doubt (if any) that those who knew him agreed that it couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

Comment

Back when I lived in Phoenix, my son was in preschool. This preschool was in an...okay, but not brilliant part of town. The school was secure, but the parking lot was not.

Many women who came to pick up their kids would leave their purses in the front seat of their cars, right where it could be easily seen through the car windows. Frequently, they'd come back to a car with a smashed window and the purse missing. I'd seen them making reports at the school office. I was sorry that they got robbed, but really, common sense! Phoenix is the car crime capitol of the USA! Cars are always being broken into, vandalized, stolen, you name it. Everybody in the city knows that, or should. Yet these foolish mothers left their purses sitting on the passenger seat, in broad daylight! You were "only gone a minute"? That's all an experienced thief needs! Take your purse with you!
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Then you have the people at Christmastime who leave a bunch of newly-bought gifts (sometimes wrapped, sometimes not) sitting in plain sight in the back seat of the car while they continue shopping or go into a restaurant. They're always surprised when they come back and find a window smashed and the gifts gone.

This is why your car has a trunk, people!!
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

On the flip side I remember reading about Mr. Rogers' car getting stolen...and when the thieves found out whose car they'd stolen, they gave it back!

"If we'd known it was yours, we'd not have taken it."
                          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

*whines* but opening the trunk takes EFFORT...

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                              Hence why the CDs are locked away in a safe - a locked vehicle isn't considered secure for the Misuse of Drugs Act.
                              How were CDs in a safe, and the Misuse of Drugs Act, connected to this thread?

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Then you have the people at Christmastime who leave a bunch of newly-bought gifts (sometimes wrapped, sometimes not) sitting in plain sight in the back seat of the car while they continue shopping or go into a restaurant. They're always surprised when they come back and find a window smashed and the gifts gone.

This is why your car has a trunk, people!!
                              Even putting them in the trunk isn't always secure. If you put them there, then go back into the mall, a thief may have seen you doing it, so it doesn't matter that they're not visible. If you're going to put something in the trunk for safekeeping while your car is parked, do it before leaving your previous stop.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X