Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tis the season to not have to watch your kids?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth draftermatt View Post
    Maybe the parents need a scare, and sure I'd feel bad if a kid who wandered into my store was abducted, but not every case requires police intervention.
    With a big corporation like the one I currently work for, we prefer to err on the side of keeping the kid safe. Unattended children are also more likely to get into mischief... and attempt theft.
    "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
      Around here, I'm perennially surprised to see that children who are just old enough to be starting school, are allowed to walk themselves to and from it. Often, they'll go to a shop on the way.

Bear in mind, though, that school starts at age 7 here, and Finns are *very* good at raising children properly.
      I used to walk a mile and half to school and back, on my own, and this was when I was 8 years old or so. I'd also somewhat often stop by the grocery store on the way to or from school, depending on how generous the lunch money fund was that day.

Comment

My professor was talking about child neglect in my sociology of the family class last semester, and told us about a news story from a few years ago.

These parents left their 8 and 5 year-old at home for 2 weeks while they went on vacation.

The only reason they got caught was because one of their lightbulbs had burnt out, and one of the kids went to a neighbors house to ask for help.

And when the parents came back, apparently they had left them alone for 2 weeks the year before!

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
          I used to walk a mile and half to school and back, on my own, and this was when I was 8 years old or so. I'd also somewhat often stop by the grocery store on the way to or from school, depending on how generous the lunch money fund was that day.
          I was a latchkey kid, myself, but I'm almost twice your age, and that was pretty common in the 60's and 70's.

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
          My professor was talking about child neglect in my sociology of the family class last semester, and told us about a news story from a few years ago.

These parents left their 8 and 5 year-old at home for 2 weeks while they went on vacation.

The only reason they got caught was because one of their lightbulbs had burnt out, and one of the kids went to a neighbors house to ask for help.

And when the parents came back, apparently they had left them alone for 2 weeks the year before!
          That is way out of line for even "only" 75 years ago!
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I was one of those kids being dropped off at places like Funcoland, Target, the library, later Barnes & Noble... guess my dad was lucky. Then again, this was the late 80's/early 90's.

I loved hanging out at Funcoland. It was the 16-bit console era, but the old NES was still holding on, and the Funcoland stores had between 4 and 7 demo units up and running all the time, and you could ask to try different games...

Incredible Universe was awesome, a joint venture between Radio Shack and Circuit City (IIRC), they had everything. Computers, consoles, appliances, music... course all I cared about were the first two, but still. kinda like a precursor to Fry's Electronics, only more fun. They had a VR demo for a while (free!), and a stage for small shows. (heck, the Fry's near me took over the old Incredible Universe location)
            Last edited by otakuneko; 12-23-2008, 04:43 AM.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post

Quoth Primer View Post
              That is way out of line for even "only" 75 years ago!
              Depends on when and where.

Had my paternal grandfather done now what he had to do in the late 30s/early 40s, he would have been arrested and my dad and uncle put into foster care.

See, they lived out in the middle of BFE Arizona (around Sierra Vista way before there was a Sierra Vista) and sometimes had to go to other towns for his job. He had to leave my dad and uncle by themselves for a few days at time. He couldn't take them with him and all the relatives they had were back in Michigan.

Quoth Primer View Post
              I was a latchkey kid, myself, but I'm almost twice your age, and that was pretty common in the 60's and 70's.
              And the mid-80s.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

One of my favorite shops near me is a leather goods place, the signs there are along the lines of.

"Misbehaving children will be tied to a tree and have angry koalas thrown at them"

"Unsupervised children will be sold into slavery"
                If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I like "Unsupervised children will be given espresso and a free puppy"
                  "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                  "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

My children are allowed to do two things unsupervised: Go down to the car in in the mornings (my nine year old clears the snow off the car while his sister sits inside it - alone 5 minutes max, and I can hear them from inside the apartment, even with the windows closed) and go to the bathroom at the grocery store - where my ex-husband stands at the endcap and watches until they come back. Even in small stores, they're not even allowed to be in a different aisle from me. And while my ex allows them to go to the park alone, he walks by every so often to check on them. They're not allowed at the park alone in my neighborhood (mine's nowhere near as family-oriented as the ex's).

At the mall I used to work at, unattended children were turned over to Guest services who would page the parents twice. If they hadn't showed up 10 minutes after the second page, the police and Children's Aid were phoned to pick up the child. Even if the parents showed up in the meantime, Children's Aid invariably took the kids into custody. They don't mess around with that stuff in my city.

I will occasionally allow my children to remain in the car while I run in to the store if I know for a fact that I'll be gone for less than 5 minutes, but the car is turned off and locked (the alarm will go off if they try to open the car doors, which they know only to do in an emergency). If it turns out that I'll be longer than 5 minutes, I go back out and make them come in with me.
                    Last edited by tollbaby; 12-23-2008, 03:34 PM.
                    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Working...
                    X