This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good customer becomes SC with lightning speed

This woman WAS one of my favorite customers that came into my store (every 2 weeks or so,) but she had her flaws. She is a politician, and a very bitter one at that. It seems from one of her 73268594739434793482834209875349 minute rants that another politician beat her out of a seat in some sort of government position, and she felt she was more qualified. She has political convos with everyone who comes into contact with her, and at first I didn't mind it but lately its just been boring to talk to her (it doesn't help that I don't understand a damn word she says half the time.) But that's not the main issue. Neither, however, is the fact that she has apparently memorized every law there has EVER been in CT, for she is always quoting laws and threatening to take people to court over minor things (like tonite, when I told her I couldn't change the price of one of two identical shirts to the lower one, but my manager eventually did.)
    Enough of the backstory. The problem began when she was talking to my cw. In her statement, she used a word of profanity (f-bomb.) Now if it had just happened once, during a convo with him, I wouldn't be writing this. She then has conversations with several hapless customers, in which she is yelling profanity in the store. An older gentleman calls her out on it and she basically tells him off. I finish my customer and immediately go talk to the gentleman. I knew instantly that the woman was out of line, and wanted to do some damage control. I explained my take on it as a retail worker, which was essentially the same as his. He actually asked me to call the police on the woman, but I was reluctant to do so. A short time later, the woman comes to ring out her stuff. I very politely begin to talk to her about using profanity. I say something along the lines of "Try and not use profanity in a store where young children are around." She basically says "I can do whatever I want. I have freedom of speech." I repeat my position to her, but then my supervisor shows up and I shut my mouth. She also talks to the woman, and then starts to walk away. The woman unleashes at me again, and my sup calls the store manager. She comes out and the situation has calmed itself down to where I was just ringing her up. I forgot to mention that the older gentleman and his wife were observing this whole conversation as the next in line, and as soon as my sup showed up, I called my cw to ring out the couple. They leave, and the woman eventually is rung out. I say with no eye contact and no sincerity (unbeknownst to anyone) "Have a nice day." Then I immediately turn to my sup and say "I need to go to the back NOW" and she understood. As I was leaving, she apparently said to my cw those immortal words "I will not shop here again." I went to the back room where my manager and the sup and another manager were standing. I immediately explained the whole situation and was told that I handled it well, but that I should've kicked her the hell out. Hopefully she never comes back.
    A couple of side notes: I am not sure how the freedom of speech works but I'm pretty sure using profanity in a store is not a part of that. Also, the woman said "Bulls---, there are no kids in the store." Which was BS bc not only had I just rung one out right before her, but one walked right behind her as she said that.
    A final note, my manager calls me about an hour later, telling me that she was relaying a message to me from the nice couple who had to deal with that piece of trash's language. She told me that they had said I had handled the situation with class and professionalism. That is exactly what I had needed to hear.
    I am sad that I didn't get a chance to respond to her ending tirade, but it might have cost me my job if I did. I would've said something along the lines of "I cannot force you to do anything. But as a retail worker, it is certainly better to lose the business of one customer than dozens who are offended by the behavior you just showed.
    Eek that was long. Sorry
    I am the commander commando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Class and professionalism indeed!

You did everything you could to calm the woman - sometimes all other customers need to see is that the store is doing their best to remedy the situation. Then at least the woman looks like the jackass and you look like someone who's doing their best.

At any rate, kudos!

(Oh, and kudos to that older couple for calling in... a small gesture like that can turn your whole day around!)

Comment

Freedom of speech? Funny that. Even in a government-owned building, you can and will be asked and possibly forced to leave for behaving in such a manner.
      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
        I am not sure how the freedom of speech works but I'm pretty sure using profanity in a store is not a part of that.

I believe you are correct.

The first amendment says that Congress can't limit freedom of speech. She, however, was on private property, and you have every right to ask her to leave when she doesn't follow your rules.

Comment

As for the freedom of speech thing, I believe that it is the right of every person to say whatever they want. However, they must have the responsibility to say it in such a manner that is appropriate for the situation.
          "Otherwise you are free to keep putting your hope in leprechauns, horseshoes and unicorn farts."-Gravekeeper

Comment

Freedom of speech in a store works the same way it does on these boards, the owner sets the rules, you don't like it, tough go somewhere else.

You did good the way you handled that, and it's good that the older couple praised you on it.
            If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

No matter where this woman is she has the perfect right to say whatever she wants.

BUT

She also has the perfect right to endure the consequences of her actions- like getting her sorry butt kicked out.

Comment

Interesting that a 'politician' takes the whole freedom of speech waaaay too seriously. No wonder she hasn't won a seat. I wouldn't vote for anyone that doesn't care about anything other than themselves.

On that note, I just never cuss like that in public because I have manners

Comment

Quoth scroob View Post
                  This woman WAS one of my favorite customers that came into my store (every 2 weeks or so,) but she had her flaws. She is a politician
                  Say no more, we understand.
                  ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Freedom of speech does not apply on private property owned by someone else.

A store is private property.

She is not the owner of the store.

The store owner has every right to make rules limiting speech on his property and kick people out for not adhering to them. If the manager asks someone to leave the property on behalf of the owner and she doesn't leave, she is trespassing. The police can enforce that removal.

That's a good thing to know if she comes back and starts up again.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X