This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move these items that we're not telling you to move

We have a client doing an office renovation. This should be completely unnecessary as this is a newly renovated floor, but since the dumbass demanding the reno couldn't read the build plans, now that it's complete, he has deemed his office unsuitable. Whatever, such dumbasses demanding such renos are what keeps me busy. My job is just to move the furniture out so the reno can proceed.

This should be remarkably easy, my MiM just need to place tell them to place a label on any and all items to be moved. This is the easiest and most fullproof way of ensuring everything is moved. Is there a label? Yes, it gets moved. No, it does not get moved. But the powers that be for whatever reason don't do things this way. No, it's better to take a photo of the office and photoshop it, marking all items to be moved. Whatever, this takes it from something that is 100% fullproof to something open to interpretation - that circle is going through half this item when they were circling the adjacent item, is it too big or too small, did they want only 1 moved or both moved?

I asked my MiM if there will be anyone available to verify things. Of the six or so managers on this email chain and the couple dozen people working in the office, nope, they are all too important to be bothered with it. Okay, here is how I am interpreting things, any objections, speak now or forever hold your peace. No replies.

I get into the office and the first thing I see is that the IT is still hooked up. This should have allowed me to turn right around and leave as they were specifically told that this had to be removed by them, but our goal is always to keep the customer satisfied, so with MiM approval, I removed the IT. With that done, just a simple matter of moving the furniture and away we go.

Then an email today. We didn't move items from the corner, that is where the reno is going to begin. They took the photo from the doorway; this corner was to the left of the doorway and was completely out of the shot, not even the smallest portion of it in the photo. Yet somehow, I was supposed to know that this stuff had to be moved. They are now going to move it themselves, but they will be backcharging and we will be responsible for any damages. My MiM have my back on this one because it's such an obvious case of these idiots being stupid, but I just want to know how they thought I could have possibly known that these items were supposed to be moved.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Quoth evilhomer View Post
    My MiM have my back on this one because it's such an obvious case of these idiots being stupid
    ...wait, WHAT?!

Who are these people and what have they done with your usual manglement team?
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      ...wait, WHAT?!

Who are these people and what have they done with your usual manglement team?
      Seriously, in situations like this, where it's obvious that I did things to the best of the information provided, they are pretty good with things. My whole problem with my MiM is how they allow these kind of problems to occur in the first place. As I said, all that was required here was a label on each item that needed to be moved. All they had to do was tell/demand that the client comply. I'm sure I wouldn't have a company for long because I would be doing this on a daily basis, but every once in a while you have to tell a client to pull their head out of their ass and do things right.
      D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
      Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Working...
      X