This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
    Re the headphones - most of the supplied headphones here have two 1/8" jacks. Regular headphones do work, so I wonder what the extra plug does? Stereo?? Nah, couldn't be.
    That would be VERY unusual - I could understand it having two 1/8" plugs, with the jacks being on the armrest. I'm going to assume you meant the plugs were on the headphones.

Have you taken a close look at the plugs? Does each of them have 2 metal sections separated by a plastic ring, as opposed to "normal" headphones that have 3 metal sections on the plug, with 2 plastic rings (1 between each pair of metal sections)? If that's the case, then it is for stereo - you're looking at a pair of mono plugs, one for the left earpiece and the other for the right. You've gotta plug the double plug in the right way around, or you'll have "reverse stereo" - if a the movie shows a car driving from right to left, you'll hear it driving from left to right. A single stereo (3 contact) plug prevents this, since there's a standard layout for which wire goes to the tip, which goes to the ring (middle metal piece), and which goes to the shell (long metal piece furthest from tip). My understanding is that the shell is the ground connection - don't know which contact is left and which is right.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Plugs, jacks - meh. The headphones have the pointy bits and the armrests have the holes.

And no, I've never looked at them in detail, just plug 'em in and go. Can't say I've noticed any 'reverse stereo', but unless it's a really long flight I just have music on to mask the noise around me.

Comment

Quoth LesserSouthernFroglet View Post
        Plugs, jacks - meh. The headphones have the pointy bits and the armrests have the holes.

And no, I've never looked at them in detail, just plug 'em in and go. Can't say I've noticed any 'reverse stereo', but unless it's a really long flight I just have music on to mask the noise around me.
        I'll be doing it to avoid awkward conversations with strangers.

I'm NOT taking my laptop for the flyover since it's a same-day trip (barring a major issue around weather or similar). So iPad away! I've been going nuts loading every single copy of a classic book that I can get on Project Gutenberg (and for some reason, it doesn't discriminate between the Australian and American ones).

I plan on bringing back some pictures to show the kids though since I'll be going mid-prac.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
        X