This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round and round and round it goes...

There was a riot last night at the local hospital, third shot in an ongoing war that is rapidly heating up.

Third shot? Well, the first shot was a young black man shot to death at a club near downtown a couple of weeks ago. The second was another young black man who was shot in the head last night -- although there's some dispute as to whether it was murder or self-inflicted. No matter, though... that second man's family has made it their mission to stoke the fires. They were very clear on that point last night when about eighty of them gathered at the hospital and, looking about as stereotypically "thug" as possible, rampaged through the lobby and the parking garage.

What set them off? That not all of them, all at once, were allowed to go to the dying man's room and that they were ordered to move their cars from the ambulance bays. In fact, some went out to guard the cars lest a tow truck be called. When it was pointed out that not all could go back to the room and that the cars had to be moved, much vitriol against the hospital was poured out due to its supposed racism. Dark mutterings were heard about this second shooting being retaliation for the first, and dark promises were made about making double damn sure that there would be a third, a fourth, a fifth, and on and on and on until the grievous injustice was rectified.

It took the entire security staff, plus about half the police department to restore order and get them to move their damned cars, but the threats still stand -- and if the threats are to be believed, my city's public housing projects are going to burn, and soon. There will be blood -- lots of it.

And so round and round and round it goes, and where it stops, nobody knows. It's gang warfare at its finest.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 08-04-2013, 02:30 AM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Wow, I know these people are upset their loved one is dying, but how could every single one of them let that overwhelm their common sense?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Mob (or Crowd) behaviour.

Humans in groups can be .. well, simply a group of humans. But sometimes things go weird or wrong, especially if emotions run high, and we become a 'mob'. And a mob will do things that the individuals in the mob would never have done without that stimulus.

Stadium riots in high stakes games are one good example of mob psychosis in action. The 1992 L.A. riots, and the more recent riots in England, are other examples.

Side notes:
      Another type of mob is the panicked mob - the reason why public buildings have maximum capacities, outward-opening doors, aisles of a designated width, etc. Also why 'Fire in a crowded theatre' is not permitted as part of free speech.

Mob psychology can also be beneficial, or at least pleasant. The feeling of togetherness and shared humanity from .. oh, being in the stadium when your team wins - or loses but loses well. Or being at a major religious event, or being part of a concert with amazing music.

Back to my main point:
      My guess - and it's just a guess - is that the extended family's problem is mob psychosis.
      But while mob psychosis and mob psychology in general is something we humans have observed in ourselves, it's not something we yet really know a lot about.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

If there were any hint that the shooting was gang related, the hospital should have been put on lockdown. No visitors. One of them could have been there to finish the job.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          If there were any hint that the shooting was gang related, the hospital should have been put on lockdown. No visitors. One of them could have been there to finish the job.
          All the hints were that the gunshot was self-inflicted. The epic drama and succeeding riot were the product of not wanting to believe that. If I understand correctly, there was an offer to allow more than the regularly allowed number of visitors, but when that was rejected and the hospital was locked down, that's when all hell broke loose.
          Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I'm very sorry you're in the middle of all this Anti. Please be careful and safe.

Comment

Quoth Antisocial_Worker View Post
              All the hints were that the gunshot was self-inflicted. The epic drama and succeeding riot were the product of not wanting to believe that. If I understand correctly, there was an offer to allow more than the regularly allowed number of visitors, but when that was rejected and the hospital was locked down, that's when all hell broke loose.
              Makes sense. The reaction was probably not anticipated, but I wouldn't be surprised if policies don't change as a result of this.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
              X