• Show
Clear All

• Epic Failures of Communication

Boy did I snag two of these SC's today.

OEM Issue = Rude

Me= yours truly
    SC=Sucky Customer

Me:<does opening spiel>

SC: My email won't work on my Outlook. I keep getting these errors.

Me.: <standard run of the mill empathy statement>

SC: I get this every time I try and send email in Outlook.

Me: Ok what's the error message that you get?

SC: The address book could not be found.

Me: I apologize sir, but unfortunately you would need to contact Microsoft for that. *BG Note: I do Tier 1 support for ISP that won't be named*

SC: You're rude, you should learn more about customer service!

Me:Sir I would be happy to help you, but unfortunately you still need to contact Microsoft for your issue.

SC: What's your employee number?!!

Me: I don't have one.

SC: I know you do the last gal I talked to gave me hers!

Me: Ok. Here it is: 12345

SC: You should take a day off you aren't right for this business, blah blah blah!

Me: I beg to differ (non chalantly). Again this issue is something that you contact Microsoft about. since this is well outside of my department's support boundaries.

SC: I know you have people capable of helping me in your department!

Me: Sir, this issue you're having is something that we are not trained on nor have the tools to help you fix it. Again, you will need to contact Micrsoft.

<SC hangs up> Fin.

No Can Has Support

Me: <does opening spiel>

SC: I don't mean to sound frustrated but the last guy I talked to was frustrated with me and I just want to get this issue resolved.

<pulled up the account and found that she had issues w/ bounced back emails and was told by previous agent that she had to clear out her webmail, she gets irate and ends the call>

Me: Okay, what's the issue you're having ma'am?

SC: You know, you don't sound like you're interested in helping me, is there a supervisor I can speak to?

Me: One moment.

<puts SC on hold, walks up to supervisor and tells about SC>

Me: Ma'am? Thank you for holding, he's on the line with another customer right now, but he'll be available after that. He won't be able to troubleshoot with you but he will be able to talk to you about whatever issue you're having. What is the issue you're having?

SC: The issue I'm having is with the customer service, nobody seems to appreciate their jobs nor are they interested in helping out! Blah blah blah!

Me: Do you have any other issues besides that?

SC: No and I will hold for the supervisor and it is my right as a customer to do so!

< gets the nod from sup he's available for the call>

Me: Okay ma'am? He is available now and I will transfer you. Thank you for calling.

<transfers SC to sup>

I found out later that when my supervisor took the call, she didn't tell him the problem she was having and hung up on him.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

How dare you not solve OEM software problems or expect that thy complete a few simple tasks to resolve their issues.

Comment

I blame those flurshuggeneh "easy button" commercials -- now users think that's all we in tech support do!
      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth Captain Trips View Post
        I blame those flurshuggeneh "easy button" commercials -- now users think that's all we in tech support do!
        You mean you don't just push a button and everything is magically fixed? I've been lied to!

Funny story: A computer repair/sales shop just opened up by my house. I've been DYING for one to show up as my podunk town has a best buy and that it (and I refuse to step foot into best buy). I went in and chatted with the boys behind the counter, said I was building a PC or two since my current one is IDE and sata is what all the cool kids build with now. We were talking about some kind of repair issue (hardware) and he goes "well, did you try kicking it?"

Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          We were talking about some kind of repair issue (hardware) and he goes "well, did you try kicking it?"
          You'd be surprised what percussive maintenance can fix...

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
            ...my mother fixed broke her big toe percussively maintaining me...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
              You're giving away the tricks of the trade, here. The proper term to confuse the user is "Mechanical Impact Repetitive Stress Routine."
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

The more I read these posts and think about it, I realize 99% percent of people that call about computer problems are f**king idiots.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

That's why so few tech types want to go into tech support.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                    The more I read these posts and think about it, I realize 99% percent of people that call about computer problems are f**king idiots.
                    For most of us techs it is called "Job Security"

Comment

Quoth bsaana View Post
                      For most of us techs it is called "Job Security"
                      Graveyard tech support must be impossible to get fired from then
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                        I was waiting for a good excuse to mention this...Thanks!

Part of what I do as part of my support job is help to setup mailouts to new businesses (the Sec of State releases a weekly Public Domain list of these)...Usually, there are a few gems every week that make us all laugh/snort/even violate Rule #1 on occasion...One of the most recent ones for our humble state has got to be my favorite company name of all time...

The PEBKAC Society. No, I'm not kidding.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
                          ...and you'd be surprised at just how much stress you can relieve with a 40-pound fence maul

What?
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                            is there a supervisor I can speak to?
                            To quote my team leader:

90% of all supervisor calls are a result of customer stupidity.

Comment

Oh, man, that Outlook issue? I'm 99% sure I know the problem and solution. It was so common at a past job, and I haven't been there for years - but I spent a few years there, and it was so common it's become imprinted in my mind.

This was an in-house call centre for a mid-size tourism business, thirty-odd computers in that department. I can't remember the precise cause, but it was something to do with importing an address book (something we did with every new set-up, of course) into Outlook (2003, I believe). The fix was simply a matter of deleting the existing 'blank' address book - the reason it couldn't find anything - and setting the new one to the default. It took a roundabout, less-than-obvious path to do that, however, which is what frustrated us for a while. But by the end of it, it was one of those pure instinct things.

Oh, and, uh... why, the nerve of that SC! I wasn't in the call centre, but I was first on the internal/external tech support line (for both tourism website and web hosting companies). It was good - I was first and only, I was lowly technician and higher supervisor. I worked in a call centre once - I have much, much sympathy for those who do; I barely lasted three days, and I'd never go back. How you remain patient with one of these SC's is a complete and utter mystery to me, let alone day in and day out.

Comment

Working...
                              X