X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandie has been saved!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...,7927592.story

A few years ago there was an altercation where someone's teacup poodle ran out of their house, ran up to Brandie (who was leashed), and Brandie bit the dog killing it. (These are the facts that are not being disputed by anyone).

The poodle's owner claims the attack happened on his driveway while the owner of the husky claims that the poodle ran up to him and nipped at his face. The investigator took the word of the poodle's owner and Brandie was impounded and sentenced to death under Broward county's "one strike" law.

Brandie's family fought the system - and won. The law is very poorly written and would classify many dogs as dangerous while (highly) potentially dangerous dogs are allowed to run free.

Here's an example: Zorro is my wife's service dog. He has several obedience titles and his canine good citizen (CGC). He is also a show champion (AKC and UKC) and has shown in the nation's top dog shows for 4 (or 5?) years in a row now.

If my wife is walking him on the sidewalk and someone attacks her, if he bites the assailant he would be considered a dangerous dog and would have to be put down because he was not provoked.

Luckily county commissioners have agreed to re-write the law. But the good news is that Brandie and Gigi are both home with their families.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I'm happy Brandie and Gigi are back at home with their families.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Holy cow! Sensibility and responsibility when it comes to animals? This is a GOOD day!
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

That's crazy reasoning for you. Some of those little dogs are the most dangerous and uncontrolled! Glad there was a happy ending.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          That's crazy reasoning for you. Some of those little dogs are the most dangerous and uncontrolled! Glad there was a happy ending.
          Agreed. Back in high school, I was attacked by the neighbor's dachshund twice. First time it got me with my back turned. Second time I reared back to defend myself (read: punt into last week) and it backed down. That dog attacked 3 more people, including a 9 month old baby, before being put down by the city.

Meanwhile, larger breed dogs get a bad rap because some people can train them to be vicious, when they aren't naturally aggressive. The neighbor's dog mentioned above also went after our (then) 7 year old black lab who loved everyone and wouldn't hurt anything unless seriously provoked, and got snapped at. The owner of the dachshund tried (thankfully, unsuccessfully) to claim that Cassie was aggressive.

I'm so glad those 2 dogs were saved from that rather poorly written law.
          Coworker: Distro of choice?
          Me: Gentoo.
          Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
          X