Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dislocated rib, Medical MJ, and new allergy!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dislocated rib, Medical MJ, and new allergy!

Because I don't have enough in the way of medical problems, universe?? Yes, this will be long and rambling because...well, it's me.

So as some of you know I have fibromyalgia/cfs, and recently had a couple of surgeries...one to repair a 17 year old torn labram/various tendons in my hip, and one to remove a benign dermoid that had taken over my left ovary.

What some of you may not know is that I walked with a cane for the last three years due to that torn up hip that my doctor's kept saying was all in my head. The thing is, not a single one of the dozen doctors I saw during those three years, INCLUDING my orthopedic surgeon, bothered to tell me that I was using my cane on the wrong side.

It took a nurse catching sight of me using the cane AFTER my hip surgery (I'd come in a week after for a follow-up) to stop me and say 'honey, you're using that on the wrong side, you're gonna hurt yourself.'

Yeah, so slightly miffed over that, and the fact that I did, indeed, hurt myself. Rather badly, actually.

With the hip healed and the pain from that gone, I could finally tell what was actually back pain and not hip pain, following along the top of my pelvis. As it wasn't getting better I went back in and ended up doing extensive physical therapy for a slightly bulging disc and a spine that was a bit out of whack (according to the therapist, I hadn't quite commited to a scoliosis yet). Both of which were caused by...you guessed it: using my cane wrong.

Following the physical therapy, my lower back felt fantastic...better than it has for decades (I was actually able to touch my toes again! Haven't done that since I was fourteen!). However I still had a niggling pain in my upper back and side that felt as if I was constantly twisted or leaning over, even when I was sitting straight.

Some days it was pretty bad but most days it was just a very obnoxious annoyance. Talked to the physical therapist about it and they found they could actually swing one of my ribs up and down. They had me do a couple of exercises but when that didn't do any good, I went back to my general practitioner, who took xrays. Saw nothing, so sent me on to my chiropractor/naturopath. He discovered that my rib was actually dislocated where it joined the spine...a result of...you guessed it. Using my cane wrong. Also, the right side of my diaphragm is partially atrophied and so my right lung fills only to about half capacity. He put the rib back in and has me doing breathing excercises. It's still not perfect but at least we're back on that road.

He also had me try a vitamin regimin for a month hoping to make a dent in my fibro. When it didn't work (might as well have been taking candy for all the good it did), he recommended medical marijuana.

Let me tell you- I've spent years taking different pain meds from 12-16 OTC tylenol or advil a day to prescribed 222s, percocet, vicodin, as well as those 'for fibro' meds like savella, cymbalta, and lyrica. Even the strongest pain meds don't do anything but take the edge off and make me loopy enough to sleep and not care about the pain I can still feel.

Tried a wee bit of MJ and within twenty minutes...ALL my pain was completely and totally GONE. Not a trace of it left. It was absolutely amazing...not to mention I slept like a baby, which NEVER happens. I've been on medical MJ now for about a month, taking it two or three times a week and I've been able to completely stop my muscle relaxers and my prescriptions, and am only taking a couple of OTC pills once or twice a week. Me happy!

Lastly, I've apparently gone and developed a soy milk allergy. I'm a sucker for nutritional shakes, and my favorites were all soy based. Took me a while to realize that about five to ten minutes after I finished one I'd get a weird burn in the back of my throat and a faint, dry cough. Then it started happening closer and closer to my actually drinking the beverage, and I put two and two together. I stayed off the shakes for a while, then tried some straight up soy milk...instant throat burn and cough. I thought it was weird at first since I could still eat tofu without a reaction, but upon reading up apparently that's not uncommon.

Bout a week ago I had a fruit juice mix that I didn't realize had soy in it. This time, instant throat burn and cough, but also my face swelled slightly and got blotchy. Definitely have to keep an eye on my labels from now on.

So, yeah Good to be back!
    My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Let me guess? you were using the cane on the same side as the injury?

Comment

Yup. It was the right hip that was weak and painful and couldn't support my whole weight (I had a bad limp, even when it DIDN'T hurt). In my logic, it was right to use the cane on that side to make up for the weak joint and give me some stability.
      My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Yeah, and some idiot therapists tell you to do that. It is best on the opposite side as it splits the weight between the leg and the cane (yeah I use a cane - since late 1990). Same idiot therapists insist it is easier going upstairs then down. apparently they don't understand how gravity works. I like looking innocent, asking them to pop a 20 lb weight on one leg and walk up, then down a complete flight of steps. Strangely, each one that smirked and tried, suddenly changed to 'like I said, it is easier walking down steps since gravity is on your side....'

And btw, you are not to blame. the docs and/or therapists are. It is their job to ensure you know the safest and best way to use the cane, or other medical equipment.

Comment

Yes MMJ is fantastic at dealing with chronic pain, as long as you don't go nuts and think you have to get stoned all the time. They have been playing around with breeding MMJ to go from serious couch lock [stoner lethargy] to no lock but mental hypering by blending the 3 types of mj. I prefer hard core couch lock because I am dealing with insomnia in addition to chronic pain.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Dislocated ribs. Never though it was possible till I dislocated one of mine trying to start the snow thrower.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Hope you're recovering form that injury.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I have a rib that pops out of my spine too then gets jammed up under my shoulder blade. Talk about screaming in pain!

I hope you continue to heal.
              ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

It's doing a lot better. Still gives me grief now and again...usually if I wear a particular bra, or drive in the car too long, but its a heck of a lot better than it was.

As for the MMJ I'm trying to either get hybrids or the ones with high CBD and low THC. Basically, anything that will take the pain away without making me loopy, and will allow me to sleep undisturbed.
                My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Working...
                X