Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Big Credentials, one ear and out the other....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Big Credentials, one ear and out the other....

1. One ear and out the other.

Woman calls looking for help with setting up a wireless network. For obvious reasons, a setup of a brand new network is onsite only. Especially if it's DSL due to the extra configurations needed. Also, the store started selling a service called "Pick a Tech's Brain," (real name changed), which only covers general questions and very simple issues not big stuff like setting up a network. Sadly, the stores are telling customers it covers everything.

On to the sucky part....

Me: As your service plan only covers hardware issues on a carry in basis, external 3rd party issues like setting up a network are not covered. We only offer this service onsite and for a fee, I can get you over to the sales dept where they can set you up for a new service....

SC: But I just want to know where to plug in the wires.

Me: If you had cable it would be a different story. You have DSL and it requires extra configuration that would require an agent to be sent out.

SC: But I also bought PTB. Isn't this covered?

Me: It only covers general questions and very simple issues like changing the screen resolution, things like that. Network setup is not included.

SC: So this can only be handled by someone coming to my house and they'll charge me?

Me: Yes Ma'am.

SC: Can't you just walk me through it over the phone?

Me: No, once again due to the nature of this problem we have to send an agent out for a fee. I can transfer you to the sales dept if you wish.

SC: Transfer me.

Me: *Transferred.*

2. Mr. Big Credentials.

Man calls in with a problem with his TV. On this brand, certain model lines have an issue where too much power builds up on the board that controls the HDMI ports, resulting in nothing but a "no signal" on the screen.

Things were going well until he started blabbing off that he was a co-inventor of the HDMI standard, and that he's an electrical engineer and this and that.

On to the suck....

SC: I know this is an issue with the TV, it needs to be serviced! I also know it fried my PS3!

Me: I don't really think it fried your PS3, HDMI does not transmit electricity in that large of an amount to really harm anything....

SC:.....

Me: Anyway, I want to try something before we do anything else....

SC: And what would that be?

Me: I'm going to have you perform a power drain on the TV....

SC: That's not going to work, the TV needs to be repaired!

Me: Well before we can send out a tech this needs to be done.

SC: I don't see why we have to do this.

Me: Five minutes of this could result in your TV working right away....

SC: Fine lets go ahead with it!

So I have him unplug the TV, let it sit for 3 minutes and have him plug it back in. Guess what happened?

SC: Wow, it worked!

I had him test his blu-ray player and his PS3 (which was not fried BTW).

Me: As you can see a power drain solved the issue and your PS3 is fine.

SC: You know I was thinking about doing a power drain but was worried it might erase some settings....

Me: Well now we saved a tech from coming out and you don't have to worry about losing data. *Thinking: Bullshit, you never were going to do a power drain and you thought it would erase data! So much for that electrical engineering degree.*

SC: Yeah thanks a bunch.

Me: *Gives him case number.* Thank you for calling, have a great day.

Ill never understand people like the second guy...If you think it's broken at best just humour the phone techie, do what he wants and who knows he may actually know how to fix it, being trained and all (or at least having read the manual)

Comment

My Vizio tv does that if I watch a movie using the hdmi port. The first time it happened, I turned the tv off, waited a couple seconds, turned it back on and it worked.

Comment

Working...
      X