This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV suck - on our end.

Disclaimer: I was only following policy and the terms and conditions of the service plan, but in this case an exception should have been made....

Woman calls in with an issue with her TV. Apparently, she bought a display model TV and it was missing the OEM stand. So, the store sold her an aftermarket stand. She told me the salesguy told her it wasn't made specifically for the TV but it will work.

Well, her "issue" was that the TV tipped over and although she and her kids caught it, the corner of the TV screen met with the corner of the table it was sitting on and cracked the screen. Of course, she said no one bumped into the TV and blamed the aftermarket stand for the TV tipping over.

I let her know that such damage to the screen according to the service plan underwriters is misuse and abuse and is not covered, and all diagnosis and repair would be out of pocket. She started ranting and raving that she would refuse to pay for such a repair as the issue was caused by the stand that was sold to her (please note the manufacturer would also refuse to pay for the repair).

Now, for one of the few times I have to side with the customer. If the issue was indeed caused by the the stand buckling and allowing the TV to tip over, IMO we should eat the cost out of customer satisfaction.

Client wanted to escalate the call, so I sent her over to the corporate complaint line. Right as I was about to transfer the customer over to the rep I was speaking to, the customer disconnected the call.

Later I looked at the notes. The complaint rep called a field manager and spoke to him about this, he said:

"When/if client calls back, explain to her that the aftermarket stands are as good or better than the OEM stand and this could not have been caused by the stand, explain to her that this damage to the TV is misuse and abuse and it will NOT not covered."

Well, that settles it I guess. I looked at the client's file and she did not call back all day. But what's sucky about this on our end is that the field manager automatically placing blame on the customer and refusing to even consider the stand may be at fault. Sure, the customer was dumb to buy a display model TV and spend extra on a stand when she could have bought a fresh new TV with the correct stand but that should not mean the store should take it out on her after the fact.
    Last edited by sld72382; 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM.

This kind of stuff happens to the nice, reasonable customers all the time. You know what happens? They see their unreasonable, abusive friends get discounts, freebies, credits, etc and it turns them into SCs.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth sld72382 View Post
      "When/if client calls back, explain to her that the aftermarket stands are as good or better than the OEM stand...
      Unless it's a wall mount, I call BS on that statement. OEM stands are designed specifically for the stresses that said TV is going to be placing on it to beyond common sense levels. Aftermarket stands have to be designed based on estimates and outright guesswork. Often times, this is wrong and the stand cannot support the TV.

What makes wall mounts special is that they are roughly de-facto standardized. It's usually one of a small handful of configurations (3 or 4 at max) and it makes it easy to design a universal system for it. Base stands on the other hand have no such standardization and can be any number of designs, based on model and manufacturer. There's rarely a universal one for a particular company, let alone an all encompassing one.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Unless it's a wall mount, I call BS on that statement. OEM stands are designed specifically for the stresses that said TV is going to be placing on it to beyond common sense levels. Aftermarket stands have to be designed based on estimates and outright guesswork. Often times, this is wrong and the stand cannot support the TV.
        This was a base stand. I agree with you that what the field manager said is BS to try and get out of paying for the repair.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          This kind of stuff happens to the nice, reasonable customers all the time. You know what happens? They see their unreasonable, abusive friends get discounts, freebies, credits, etc and it turns them into SCs.
          QFT. I try to be the most polite and reasonable person to deal with (acting in a manner I would appreciate in MY customers!)... and get steamrollered.
          “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth tuck319 View Post
            QFT. I try to be the most polite and reasonable person to deal with (acting in a manner I would appreciate in MY customers!)... and get steamrollered.
            Pretty much, that is why I actually thank people for their behavior and make sure they know I appreciate them putting down their phone when they actually get to me in line, or since the one guy waited patiently for the tea to brew I gave him one of the two for free because when I thought my manager had already left and there was no way I could get over to make it he said no big deal. As a SC that was bitching would have easily had management give both teas out for free
            I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

Quoth tuck319 View Post
              Exactly. My recent experiences with Qwest proved that. I finally got mean and cancelled, but still didn't go full blown SC.

...speaking of, I should call Qwest and make triple double quadruple sure they actually cancelled my account, or I'll get a nasygram next month and get to repeat the fraudulent charge route most likely. :-/
              Coworker: Distro of choice?
              Me: Gentoo.
              Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

Working...
              X