This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again
    Yeah, I change the subject pretty quickly to positive things the munchkins doing and if my side of the family is really persistant I start talking about my garden. Luckily, they feel intimidated by our big, goofy dogs so they don't randomly show up for visits.

My mother has always been out for attention. When I was younger and pretty sick, she'd tell everyone about it and say "We're having such a hard time with Mishi, the doctors don't even know what's going on. It's a real struggle for our family and it's a battle for answers. It's just so hard, sometimes I have to sleep in with her because she stops breathing and I don't get much sleep on those nights." *deep sigh*
    She'd then scream at me when we were home and tell me that I was faking it and <insert religious, manipulative and abusive text here>

I think most of it is that she's pretty pissed off that Rugz and I won't allow her to control how we parent, and that we don't give her the chance make a fuss over new health 'problems'. She does still use the situation for attention by telling everyone that I'm mentally ill and it's so hard because she really misses her babies.

Jazzy has her camera back now, so she's really happy and taking loads of pictures. Bubbles is attempting to sprinkle pixy dust on her head so that she can fly when she jumps off the couch. Rugz is posing for photos and they all make me very happy.
    Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth CalyCoRose View Post
      As a mother of a child with ASD (though her developmental pediatrician is leaning more towards PDD-NOS), I feel unmitigated fury and hatred towards people like your mother Mishi. Sorry, but I do, and that is all I'm going to say about it.
      Nature/nurture is still undecided, but there are some things that are showing up as clearly nature. I don't know what the acronyms ASD or PDD-NOS stand for, but unless you dropped her on her head as a baby; I'll assume they're 'nature'.

Now, I don't want to derail this thread with the nature/nurture debate (thousands of research dollars have gone into that debate as it is!), but I think that blaming-the-parent is one of the most unhelpful things possible.

(Certain pseudo-parents excepted. As in, any of the abusive or neglectful ones. Yes, I'm looking at you, Granddad and Grandma.)

(And in case it needed to be said: I'm NOT looking at either of you, Mishi or CalyCoRose.)
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thank you all! Glad to know there is a venue where my particular brand of Evil is appreciated!

And I agree with Der Cute who says don't deny the rumors your mom is spreading. It makes you look like you know there's a problem and are trying to downplay it. Better to make it look like the accusation is out of the blue and this is the first you've heard it.

It makes your mom look nuts. And making your mom appear nuts is a really easy task, so you should have no problem with achieving the desired results.

Sort of "don't dignify it by responding to it". Or something like that. Letting your "concerned relatives" get embarrassed will teach them a lesson about believing what they hear from people who are full of shit. At this point, they ought to know your mom is full of shit.

One of my pet peeves is people who believe foolishness when everything they see and know ought to tell them better. I hate that.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Nature/nurture is still undecided, but there are some things that are showing up as clearly nature. I don't know what the acronyms ASD or PDD-NOS stand for, but unless you dropped her on her head as a baby; I'll assume they're 'nature'.
          Sorry Seshat! As a mother of a child on "the spectrum", we use acronyms all the time, and I sometimes forgot there are others who don't know what they are!

ASD = Autism Spectrum Disorder. Which can encompass just about anything that is "autistic"

PDD-NOS = Pervasive Developmental Delay - No Other Symptoms. Which means, while technically they meet the criteria for autism, they aren't exactly autistic.

Got daughter's report card the other day. She's getting A's in Math & Science. B's in her other subjects. The only problems she has is behavior-wise. Which we are working on (believe you me!).

FTR, Clementine was showing some autistic tendencies before her first birthday, so I'm pretty sure, at least for her, it's "nature".

Stay strong Mishi. Stick to your guns! You can do it.
          And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

@Kink: You're not evil, you're awesome.

@Seshat: You're a sweetheart, so please try to remember that when the depression gnome is whacking you with a mallet.

@CalyCoRose: *Hi fives for Clementine* It's great that she's doing really well at school! I hope you get a proper diagnosis and a good care plan soon. It's okay, I forget that other people don't know the acronyms as well, I grew up hearing/using them so it's 'normal' for me.

Thanks everyone, you're really sweet and helpful.

Comment

Quoth Mishi
              My mother has always been out for attention. When I was younger and pretty sick, she'd tell everyone about it and say "We're having such a hard time with Mishi, the doctors don't even know what's going on. It's a real struggle for our family and it's a battle for answers. It's just so hard, sometimes I have to sleep in with her because she stops breathing and I don't get much sleep on those nights." *deep sigh*
              She'd then scream at me when we were home and tell me that I was faking it and <insert religious, manipulative and abusive text here>
              Gee I stopped breathing lots when I was little and ya know what? My Mom lost sleep too when she had to turn off my heart alarm, restart me if needed, and re-hook me back up. Never once did she blame me for doing that.

Why does this sound like that one condition where someone is always sick or a kid is always sick and they relish the attentions.

Comment

*Huge hugs for Aethian* That must have been pretty hard for you and your family, I'm lucky enough to only have joint problems. Turned out that I only stop breathing in my sleep when I'm ultra-stressed. It slowed when Rugz moved over to WA and stopped when I moved out.

And yes, I think she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and/or Munchausen's By Proxy (but I'm not a doctor or a psych). Dad told me recently that she's finally seeing a psychologist, so hopefully there will be some improvement. I don't think that she's willing to change though and she is a very good actress so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Comment

Working...
                X