This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-Fib is no Fun

I was reading Rapscallion's post, and couldn't keep from telling of my experience with this condition.

This all happened when I was 22 years old. (I am now 30)

It started right before work one day. My chest started feeling strange, I was out of breath, and my heart was pounding. I laid down for a little while, but it wasn't getting better. I could feel my heart beating randomly, which wasn't necessary painful, but definitely not pleasant. My girlfriend was over and didn't like the look of me, and took me to the emergency room.

They took me in straight away (not usually a good sign when the waiting room is full.) They stuck me in a bed and started doing the normal stuff. When they got me hooked up to the monitor, the nurse took one look at it and rushed off. My pulse was around 150b/m with no real rhythm, and I was missing a wave completely (the P-Wave, whatever that is) When the doc got there, they started questioning me about how much meth I had done before I came in. (never touched the stuff). I told him this and he told me "there's no use lying, we'll test for it anyway". Later I found out that they only see this in people my age after taking heavy stimulants (like cocaine and meth). After the initial workup they got an IV in me and started pumping drugs. I was in emergency for 5 hours before they got my heart back into something approaching a steady rhythm, and had me moved up to the CICU. At its peak, my heart was approaching 160b/m, still with no discernible rhythm, and they brought in a crash cart (not something you want to see...ever) and told me if I don't calm down they're gonna zap me. (Cause yeah, telling me this is going to calm me down.)

I spent a week in the CICU while undergoing many many tests. I started panicking a lot (I don't do well in hospitals) and it kept triggering mini-attacks, which caused me to stay longer. The cardiologist told me they couldn't find anything that would've triggered it initially, and were making me stay for observation. He also said he was worried about me having a stroke, since I was out of rhythm for so long, and they wanted to make sure I was clear. It kind of blew my mind that they couldn't really find anything wrong with me, other than the A-Fib, they were essentially guessing at the cause, and told me to quit any and all stimulants (no more caffeine ), and to lose weight etc... They discharged me with a prescription (Digoxin) and referral to the cardiologist for follow-up and that was that.

Fast forward a year later, and it happens again. This time I was only in the hospital long enough to get be back to a good rhythm, and they released me with another referral to cardio for follow-up.

Fast forward another year, and yet again, back in the hospital. This time the ER doc tells me that I am EXTREMELY dehydrated, and my electrolytes are way off. He told me to drink more water and eat a bit more salt (not a ton, just a little.)

I went to a new cardiologist (and new insurance) and he changed my meds (Atenalol), and I followed the ER doc's advice, and I haven't had a major attack since. I still have short (1 -2 minute) episodes, but as long as I can keep myself from panicking, they go away.

I have heard about a procedure (which was actually shown in an episode of House) where they go in and freeze the parts of the heart that are misfiring. I've thought about getting it done, but I haven't exactly had positive experience with surgery, and the new meds are keeping it under control. Once a day at night I think I can handle.

And that's all I have to say about that....
    @

Yup. A friend of mine just had cardiac ablation done for a malignant heart rhythm, and so far it's been quite successful.

Comment

It has been just over 14 months since mine. No problems since.

It is interesting to compare the treatments between you, me & Raps.

A friend on mine had the ablation back in December. He has been doing great since.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm seeing a cardiologist on the 27th, so they'll see what a suitable treatment for me should be. It came on far more slowly for me over two or three months that I can think back to, now, but didn't notice at the time.

Rapscallion

Comment

My Dad suffered from A-fib and they would periodically use paddles to stop his heart completely and then shock it into starting back up. They would mildly sedate him and it only took about 10 minutes.
          "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

I deal with this, too. Apparently it's hereditary as Mom and Sis both have it, too. I took Atenelol also but weaned myself off of it since the side effects felt worse than the rapid heartbeat. I've discovered that meditation really helps get mine under control. Hope you are better soon.

Comment

What side effects did you have? I havent had any that i know of, other than maybe sleepiness.

Comment

I had this thing happen to me a couple of times...maybe one of you knows what it is...

Out of the blue, it was like my pulse just got really, really weak, and it felt like my heart just stopped beating. I was breathing normally, but I felt light-headed. After 30 seconds to a minute, the pulse picked back up and I felt fine.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Out of the blue, it was like my pulse just got really, really weak, and it felt like my heart just stopped beating. I was breathing normally, but I felt light-headed. After 30 seconds to a minute, the pulse picked back up and I felt fine.
                  Some form of syncope, and I'd recommend you talk with a doctor.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    Some form of syncope, and I'd recommend you talk with a doctor.
                    Agreed. I had that, but it could be a symptom of so many things. I initially thought it was my blood pressure medication acting up finally, but it turned out to be a different condition entirely.

Doctor, now.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Apallo View Post
                      What side effects did you have? I havent had any that i know of, other than maybe sleepiness.
                      Mainly, that being a beta blocker, it acted like alot of other beta blockers and suppresses the libido. Not good for a young couple.......

And, I simply do not like taking pills, period. Even though I have a med that finally works for my migraines I still try everything else before I'll take one. Just weird like that.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                        Mainly, that being a beta blocker, it acted like alot of other beta blockers and suppresses the libido.
                        Not always. Just saying.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                          Not always. Just saying.

Rapscallion
                          You are correct. I should have said, "may suppress". I was just one of the unfortunate ones that this was common for.

Lordy, I'm so ready for my vacation!

Comment

I've had a wonky heart my whole life. I've been seen in both child and adult hospitals for it. I've been discharged and referred back like 3 time. I have PVCs, PACs, Bi and tri-giminy. My heart beats in an irregular pattern on a regular basis. At it's worst (3 years ago) I was put on medical leave from work. There has been talk not once, but twice of giving me a pacemaker. It hasn't happened because the anesthetic could kill me.

Atenalol was awesome. Like, I felt like I could breathe. I had energy. Sadly, it used to knock me out when I took it, which is hard when you have a toddler (at the time). I was weaned off it when I stablized, but I think I need it again :S

Which may be a problem, as I'm currently on Gabapentin and a 30mg dose of Celexa

Comment

I get the same thing, so I just take it at night and it doesn't bother me. I did take it in the morning for a while, but I couldn't function, and would fall asleep at my desk all the time

Comment

Working...
                              X