This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth mjr View Post
    I'm a little surprised we haven't heard of her employees demanding cashier's checks.
    I'm surprised she still has employees. I would be getting off that sinking ship as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, Betty's checks bounce more often than an NBA basketball.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

• I thought you had already written that some of her employees were taking cash only? Which seems an absolutely required policy in her case.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I thought you had already written that some of her employees were taking cash only? Which seems an absolutely required policy in her case.
        Some of her employees continue to have issues cashing their payroll checks, yes. One fellow in particular has bad luck, coming in on days when Betty's account is overdrawn (which is more often than not). He once held onto a payroll check for 5 weeks before he was able to cash it.

I understand why Betty's daughter continues working for her, but I don't understand why anybody else does.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
          Some of her employees continue to have issues cashing their payroll checks, yes. One fellow in particular has bad luck, coming in on days when Betty's account is overdrawn (which is more often than not). He once held onto a payroll check for 5 weeks before he was able to cash it.
          This is what I mean. Surprised this guy didn't ask for cashier's checks.

I'm actually quite surprised Betty has been able (and allowed) to stay in business this long. Doesn't the state/fed government get involved when an employer can't pay employees?

I'm surprised she isn't in more legal trouble. One could argue that she's knowingly writing checks that she doesn't have the funds to cover.

I hope they're getting check stubs, and she's taking out proper taxes.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

• That's a good question. I believe that part of the state and federal tax liens against her are for failing to pay the taxes she withheld from employee paychecks. I see payments to the state dept. of revenue and to the IRS coming out of her checking account, so hopefully that means she's paying the withholding. But with her history, who knows?
            "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• It probably won't last long. Get ready to mount the foreclosure carousel once again, Gehl.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• As I mentioned in another thread, Betty and her husband paid off their home loan recently (to the tune of $10,000). I have no idea where they got the money.

Betty is still struggling with the property taxes on the restaurant, however. She still needs to pay the 2nd half 2019 taxes by the end of the year, or her agreement with the county will be cancelled and the restaurant will go tax forfeit. Based on previous conversations with Goodhair and Ted, the bank might not do anything if that happens. We might just let it go tax forfeit rather than throw more money at a bad loan.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                  As I mentioned in another thread, Betty and her husband paid off their home loan recently (to the tune of $10,000).
                  Paid in full or just got current?
                  Quoth Ghel View Post
                  her agreement with the county will be cancelled and the restaurant will go tax forfeit. Based on previous conversations with Goodhair and Ted, the bank might not do anything if that happens. We might just let it go tax forfeit rather than throw more money at a bad loan.
                  Finally this nonsense may be ending.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Oh no, that would be too EASY! Nope, as before, she'll pay off the exact MINIMUM, at the very last moment, further prolonging this crap. And once the crisis is averted, for now, she'll go back to not paying bills until the next (self-caused) crisis pops up.

Comment

• Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                      Paid in full or just got current?
                      Paid in full.
                      -Mira Furlan

Comment

• *reads latest update on Betty*

If there is an end to this, let's throw a party. I just re-read the first page and saw this thread started 5 years ago.

How in the world does anyone get away with such shenanigans for that long??? :facepalm:
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          How in the world does anyone get away with such shenanigans for that long??? :facepalm:
                          The technical term is "gaming the system."

The additional comment I was going to make belongs in Fratching, so I won't make it.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                            I just re-read the first page and saw this thread started 5 years ago.
                            A lot further back than that. There's a link in the original post that goes back to another thread that was started in 2012, and one before that that started in 2008. So over a decade actually.
                            Sometimes life is altered.
                            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                            Uneasy with confrontation.
                            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Well apparently the end of the year will be a potential turning point -- or crash site.

Comment

• Never thought I'd see that happen...
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X