This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're in college FFS!

So from time to time, I'll end up assisting other faculties at the university. Part of this also includes me acting as minute-taker for a couple of the faculty meetings, where student cases are discussed and acted upon accordingly. There have been...some interesting cases.

Note: courses and faculties have been kept deliberately vague. There will also be some US-style terms in here for that reason.

Well at least YOU were honest...
    Like most places, plagiarism is taken seriously. We do however, handle each case of plagiarism on a case-by-case basis.
    So enter this particular student. They'd submitted an essay for one of their topics, then shortly after proceeded to email their tutor, openly admitting that they had plagiarised a good portion of their essay from another student and wanting to withdraw from their entire course, as they were very embarassed and wanted to leave with their dignity while they still could. That wish was promptly granted.

(And to clarify, the two students involved had been helping one another, but the other student hadn't been aware that entire portions of their work were being copied. We're not treating it as collusion in this instance)

On the other hand...
    This student however, was not honest about their behaviour.

They were re-attempting a core subject that they had received a Fail grade on about 2-3 years ago. Between then and now, the assignments had changed slightly. More specifically, one of the assignments had gone from a long-ass essay to two smaller essays, with a 2-3 week break in between the first essay and the second.

This student clearly missed that and figured that they could get away with submitting their long-ass essay from 2 years ago when the first of the smaller essays was due, rather than writing a brand new piece. Aside from the fact that our plagiarism software picked THAT up, the other giveaway was that their submission was twice as long as the maximum word count.

Paranoid Much?
    So it's a fact that some websites will work better on certain browsers than others. Ours is one of those. I can also understand privacy concerns. But this call took the cake.

One of my colleagues in the admissions department relayed this story. They'd received a call from someone who was trying to apply to one of our courses, but wanted to talk to our webmaster (who happened to be on leave) .

Turns out that they were wanting to apply for our course, but refused to use the browsers that we were recommending? Why? Because apparently filling in our online application form through either of the browsers we DID recommend would result in Google farming their details somehow and coming to their house.

This also seemingly extended to not wanting to use our "Contact Us" form on the website...even though that doesn't require a home address .

This is NOT high school
    Back in the faculty I usually work for, we had a new intake of students recently for our conversion program. All of our students in this group bar one are students who received their qualification overseas and are needing to be brought up to Australian standards, while the other student is one who's been out of the loop for some time and needed to be brought up to speed.

Out of the Loop student (OL) seems to feel that this course is a waste of time however. That unfortunately has resulted in them developing a bit of an attitude and said attitude is now influencing one of the other students (OS) to act up in class along with them.

So, when you have two students who are acting like high schoolers, naturally, the best solution is a high school one: separate them.

Since we put our students into groups for group work in advance, I figured now would be the perfect time to try them in groups based on where they're going for field placement, rather than simply going in alphabetical order. As OL and OS are going to different facilities, this was an easy one. (Part of the reason is that from time to time, our mentors will come in and work with those groups.)

Reality Check On Aisle Three!
    Another one from the conversion course - we currently have a crop of students out on placement. We do keep in regular contact with them via the mentors (Who send regular feedback to us), but sometimes the students are contacted directly if they need support and the students can do the same.

One such student opted to contact us about a week ago, shortly after a visit from their mentor. Judging from what I heard, the visit had not gone well.

The student then wound up giving a litany of excuses to the coordinator over the phone, while the coordinator was trying to talk them through reflecting and how to improve from their mistakes. It then ended with them asking us if we could arrange for their visits to take place earlier in the week since they were "tired" by the end of the week!

Coordinator prompted to give the student a decent reality check, reminding them that once they were practicing in healthcare, they would be working a litany of different shifts and the excuse of them being exhausted by the end of the week would not fly.

And since I handle the scheduling for the mentors, I checked - by pure coincidence (mentor visits are scheduled well in advance), they were in fact having the rest of their visits earlier in the week for the next 4 weeks...up until about 2 days ago, when the mentor responsible for that student requested a date swap for one of those weeks

Google will come to your house? I wonder what that looks like. Just one nerd or an army of aliens?

At least plagarism guy took some responsibility. I assume with that solution he at least gets to stay in the college.

Comment

Considering the people I know who work there.... it'll be an army of nerds!!
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Is it considered plagiarism if it was your own work in the first place?
        Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
          I'm guessing it's not plagiarism from a legal standpoint, but the computer software the OP mentioned thought it was and flagged it as such. But I've no idea if the staff considers a resubmitted work, even one's own, to be plagiarism or not.

But, of course, the word count disqualified it anyway.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
            I'm guessing it's not plagiarism from a legal standpoint, but the computer software the OP mentioned thought it was and flagged it as such. But I've no idea if the staff considers a resubmitted work, even one's own, to be plagiarism or not.

But, of course, the word count disqualified it anyway.
            We do consider it to be the case, since the point of the assignments is to show that you've actually learned stuff and made an effort to study. Self-plagiarism, aside from the ethical questions, counts more or less as academic misconduct. That student did get warned and was allowed to re-do the assignment, but it'll be marked pass/fail only.

__________________________________________________ _______________

And for those who are wondering about the honest student and their buddy in the first post, the one who admitted their wrongdoing had written specifically asking to withdraw from the course entirely when they admitted their wrongdoing, so we honored their wish and let them withdraw. In those situations (deliberate plagiarism), the penalty would be an automatic expulsion from the course and you're not allowed to study with the university for a full year in any capacity. (So, in other words, they've taken the penalty already before we implemented it) Thankfully, this is a postgraduate student, so they were already working in their field. After the year is up, should they wish to try again, they more or less start with a clean slate.

The student whose work was plagiarised will likely be informed and either receive no penalty at best or just receive a warning and be asked to submit something else at worst.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
              We do consider it to be the case, since the point of the assignments is to show that you've actually learned stuff and made an effort to study. Self-plagiarism, aside from the ethical questions, counts more or less as academic misconduct. That student did get warned and was allowed to re-do the assignment, but it'll be marked pass/fail only.
              Ah, okay. i suspected as much. Thank you for clarifying that. I'd say the student is lucky in this case. Hopefully he learns from his mistake.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post

__________________________________________________ ______________
                Makes sense.
                Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

That Google lady, ugh...it just blows mind that these people think they are so powerful and/or important that Google is going to give two shits what they're up to.

Newsflash: Nobodies don't usually get hacked and/or monitored by tech companies/intelligence agencies etc, etc.

Either you're freaking out because you have some skeletons in your closet or you're just a paranoid nutjob (usually the latter).
                  "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth Cia View Post
                    One has to marvel at the thought process of re-submitting an essay from a course one failed.

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                      One has to marvel at the thought process of re-submitting an essay from a course one failed.
                      Well if they made a good mark on the original essay, and failed the course for other reasons, I might consider resubmitting it, maybe with some tweaks to improve on the original mark.

It would depend on the course and topic as well; there might not be much topic flexibility to make it significantly different.

And if I were to do that sort of thing I'd probably check with the Prof first to see if other options might be available, or if they are fine with the repeated work.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                        That Google lady, ugh...it just blows mind that these people think they are so powerful and/or important that Google is going to give two shits what they're up to.

Newsflash: Nobodies don't usually get hacked and/or monitored by tech companies/intelligence agencies etc, etc.

Either you're freaking out because you have some skeletons in your closet or you're just a paranoid nutjob (usually the latter).
                        Exactly - Google works with big data, they don't have time to fry small fish. They wouldn't even flag any odd behavior unless you were really doing something weird over a long period of time.

Comment

Quoth silvertingle View Post
                          Exactly - Google works with big data, they don't have time to fry small fish. They wouldn't even flag any odd behavior unless you were really doing something weird over a long period of time.
                          That was our thought. To make matters worse, this particular CW only handles calls for postgraduate programs - eg you already need to be working in that particular field. So...this particular person is currently practicing in healthcare. I sincerely wonder what their reaction would be when they have to do patient charts (which are computerised...)

ETA: Brief update for the two stories I mentioned in the OP about the conversion course. We've had no further issues since splitting up the students, apart from the odd attitude issue that's more a result of cultural clashes than anything.

As for the second student (The one who wanted their mentor visits earlier in the week), that student DID pass their halfway assessment thankfully and there's been no further issues beyond a need to speak up.

Comment

Working...
                          X