This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
    I've heard from a few people who did that for a living, it's arguably less soul-killing than a lot of call-center jobs. So your sexy bikini girl is likely "played by" a 50-year-old mother of six sitting in an office, but whatever.
    I am reminded of this scene from Blues Brothers 2000.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Call center work for a bank, which is what I do, is the worst I've ever experienced. People are entitled, talk to me like I"m stupid while they're so dumb that a rock has a higher IQ, and think it's ok to just be rude and interrupt me all the time, and if I"m really lucky, end the call with crashing a land line phone handset down in my ear.

They always bitch when I have to read disclosures or verify information, like I'm just doing it for the fuck of it. And I refuse the do the whole "I'm sorry I'm a human being wasting your time" bit too. I just tell people it's something I have to do legally and there is no getting around it.
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
        And I am to the point with our store reps that I want to have them all get told off for the lies they constantly tell customers. "Oh! This tablet is my gift to you for being a loyal customer"...only for said customer to find out that he is being charged for the tablet and/or tablet line.
        A while back, when I was getting my new phone (still my current phone), I was in need of a new tablet as well, as my old one was dying a slow death. My phone place offered me a deal for a new tablet where I payed X amount more on my phone bill each month, and I got the tablet. I thought it was a helluva deal, and I took it. And I’ve been thrilled with my phone and tablet ever since. Typing this on said tablet right now, actually. I’m glad the reps in that store didn’t lie to me about it, quite honestly.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        I'm only surprised that this mentality shows it's worst face over.... phones.

Not booze, not cars, not real estate, nor race horses, nor military hardware.... the worst excesses of haggling/entitlement arise when trading in...

A gall-darn PHONE.
        Oh, it definitely shows up when it comes to booze, my friend!

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
        Once I explained to him that the store basically ripped him off and lied through their teeth he was surprisingly calm when he said he was going to go down to the store and tear a strip off the rep he dealt with and the store manager...
        One of the funniest things I’ve ever seen in my life was when I was out with my friend Frank, and he had to go down to his cell phone provider’s store to deal with some issue. While we were waiting there, this very, VERY angry looking man marched into the store, and up to the counter, virtually breathing fire out of his very pores. The counter rep, either through top notch training or complete obliviousness, greeted him warmly and professionally, and asked, “What can I do for you today?”

The angry man put his phone on the counter and said, “Bring me a hammer.”

I laughed so hard I had to walk outside!

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
        So your sexy bikini girl is likely "played by" a 50-year-old mother of six sitting in an office, but whatever.
        The vast majority of sex line operators and sultry female DJs look nothing like the way they sound. With my broadcasting background, I notice people’s voices more than most, and am often amused by how rarely people’s looks and voices match up, and how often they are at complete odds with each other.

My voice is a perfect example. My *voice* is that of a 6’4”, tanned, muscular, beach bound stud muffin hunk. I....am not.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

And I refuse the do the whole "I'm sorry I'm a human being wasting your time" bit too.

"I'm very sorry to have wasted your time, Sir. In order to avoid doing that going forward, I am now terminating this call. Good bye." *click*
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            "I'm very sorry to have wasted your time, Sir. In order to avoid doing that going forward, I am now terminating this call. Good bye." *click*
            I'm so going to use this! I wish I'd said this during a few calls today where the customers were stubbornly refusing to believe anything I said and told me I was wasting their time. Mind you, I did tell one guy that I was not going to get into it with him and his incorrect math over what he figured his late fee should have been on his recent bill and it was a waste of time to do the math for an entire year considering that he will not be assessed a late fee if he pays his bill by the due date...why argue about something that has not even happened yet? Ugh.

Speaking of voices, a work buddy of mine used to work in radio and has an amazing speaking voice but he definitely has a face for radio! I love listening to him take calls because on top of his voice he also tells some of the most amazing stories when he is building a rapport with a caller. As my own voice, I sound like a pretty girl next door when in actual fact I'm a plus-size Goth chick. My customer service voice definitely makes me sound way nicer than I really am, which seems to be a common theme!

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              Years ago someone figured out a way to make long distance calls and have it charged to our home phone. My mom argued with Bell for a few weeks, then she came up with a solution.

She had long distance disabled for our phone number. We would then buy long distance cards which in turn was cheaper than paying Bell for long distance calls.

No more padded bills from Bell.

We found another advantage, I would buy a long distance card for me and a different for mom. Result. if my mom ran out of time she could not blame me since I had my own access code.

PS. It did not happen often, but it turned out handy when we had long distance relatives visiting, we pretended to have used up our minutes and would buy them a cheap $5 dollar card for them, that way they could not hog the phone all the time.
              Had something similar happen when I was in my 20s. My family ended up having to pay for a bunch of calls charged to our number that originated at the base where my brother was stationed because we couldn't prove it wasn't my brother doing it even though he was in England when several of the calls were made. (Not that we thought he was doing it, as he's always been honest.) So, my parents changed the phone number, and it stopped. Turned out a "friend of my brother's had gotten our phone number while he was a guest in our home, and then charged calls to our number. Once we figured out who was doing it, my mother reported the guy to his first sergeant. This happened close to 40 years ago, so I don't know what the eventual outcome was.

Comment

Reported to the Sergeant... That could be a relative non-event, but more likely the start of an enlisted nightmare. Life in hell, of course, depends on how creative the sergeant is, and how annoyed he is with his little idiots.

Comment

Working...
                X