This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruder than the average thief

Customer asks for a cigar that sells for $1.29 and comes to $1.37 with tax.
    He hands me a handful of change and rushes out the door. This happens a lot.
    I am remarkably fast as counting change just by looking, and he handed me $1.24. I hurry out the door behind him, and approach his driver's door. He sees me coming and rolls down his window.
    "You are 13 cents short. This is only $1.24,"
    "Really?" He makes a show of searching his center console. "I haven't got it."
    I stare at him for a moment, but he seems to feel this has brought things to a conclusion.
    "You are going to feel really stupid explaining to the other guys in jail that you are in for thirteen cents."
    "You'd do that?"
    "Stealing is stealing. Thirteen cents or four hundred dollars, it's all the same."
    He seems unmoved.
    "Either pay for what you took or give it back, and I'll give you your $1.24."
    "You'd call the police over thirteen cents?"
    "Pay for what you took or give it back."

At this point he gets out of his car and returns to the store, ... to start asking other customers to give him thirteen cents.
    "Welcome to being an adult: you are expected to pay for the things you want."
    "Stop talking to me."

Someone gave him a quarter and he gave it to me and told me to keep the change.

I just love how thieves want to act like I am the one being a jerk for calling them on it.

This was an odd combination of frightfully common happenings: Most folks who short change me and book out the door actually DO have the money. Most folks who beg off other customers because they are short do so at the register. (There are also the folks who will beg off other customers because they don't want to break a bill, but that's another story.) And most folks expressing incredulity that I might call the police over being shortchanged haven't actually taken the product yet.
    In retrospect, when he first said "I don't have it" I should have gotten his plate number and called the police. But I didn't have a pen or my phone, because I had to hurry to catch him.

In other news, I recently appeared to testify against a guy who stuck a bottle of wine down his pants twice in one night. He got a $2000 fine with $1700 suspended on the condition that he stay off our property, The judge was very clear that if he comes back in the store that unsuspends the $1700 AND is Trespassing, with probable jail time.

Criminals are not only cowardly and superstitious, some of them are downright stupid
    My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

It's always amazed me when someone gets caught doing something they are not suppose, they always blame the person that catches them and not their own actions.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

I hate when people pull this bullshit, listen the prices are not "price is right" rules. You need the full amt or go over.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
          It's always amazed me when someone gets caught doing something they are not suppose, they always blame the person that catches them and not their own actions.
          That's because he would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you meddling kids.
          Sometimes life is altered.
          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
          Uneasy with confrontation.
          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth SpyOne View Post
            In other news, I recently appeared to testify against a guy who stuck a bottle of wine down his pants twice in one night.
            I'm guessing the bottle was PEEnot Noir

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              Those people are all over "Cops", "Live PD", "Police Interceptors (UK)" and "Highway Patrol (AU)". Along with "These aren't my pants" people and "I wasn't doing anything wrong" people and "I wasn't driving" people.

A few lesser ones are the "Two beers" people and the "I wasn't using my mobile phone" people. If you cheat and steal, lying is just a part of that. At some time in their life all those excuses worked. Perhaps when they were 12. Now it just makes everyone shake their head in disbelief.

The habitual criminal thinks they are entitled to do what they like, and when they are caught they deny everything all the way to court, where they plead guilty and ask for leniency because they had a sad childhood.

Comment

On that note, I'm remembering one comedic routine: "What I want is for one of these guys to stand up and say 'My mom was all right. My dad was all right. I'm just a shithead.'"

Yeah, I know. Not likely to happen unless I do it myself. And... NOPE.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                  On that note, I'm remembering one comedic routine: "What I want is for one of these guys to stand up and say 'My mom was all right. My dad was all right. I'm just a shithead.'"

Yeah, I know. Not likely to happen unless I do it myself. And... NOPE.
                  I have often thought that want I want these people to do as penance is to, in front of me, call their mom and say, "Hi, Mom. I'm just calling to say that I'm standing in (store name) and I'm telling anyone who can see me that you didn't raise me right since I obviously don't know how to behave in public."

I also wanted to mention: the wine thief had vigorously denied being a thief in person well before court. He insisted he had put the wine "back", and not down his pants, and as I hadn't been able to see what he did with it (line of sight blocked for a couple of seconds), I told him I'd be reviewing the video to see if that was true.
                  "I wouldn't steal from here, man, I swear."
                  "Yeah, well if you ARE a thief why wouldn't you also be a liar?"

To all would-be thieves: don't call the bluff of a guy who has written down your license plate number. If you admit you tried to steal and give the bottle back, you will probably only get banned, but if you leave with what you stole he WILL call the police.
                  Also, driving your girlfriend's car is not going to protect you. She WILL throw you under the bus to stop the police visits to her house, especially is she feels cops at her front door "interferes with my livelyhood".
                  (Which makes me wonder what she does for a living. I mean, I wonder if there is a more innocent explanation than what leaps to mind. Like maybe she's a freelance hairdresser but her clients mostly have outstanding warrants? It seems like she works from home and her customers stay away if they've seen cops there.)

Comment

Working...
                  X