This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charter Foolery

Anyone else have Charter for cable services? Ew.

Anyway, I have to cut back on some of my finances, and downgrade some stuff. I decided to go with a slower Internet speed.

I called them up today. M= Me R= Rep

R= Hello thank you for calling Charter, my name is xxxx how can I help you with your services today?

M= Hi, I was wondering if you offered a slower internet speed so I could downgrade and save a little money?

R= *looks up my account information* Yes, we do offer two slower speeds than what you have. But let me suggest upgrading for 6 months at an even faster speed than what you have, for a discounted price. Your bill would be $45 a month.

I can't remember how they measure how fast Internet speed is, I forgot the word. Eck. Let's just say I was at 8, I wanted 5 or 1. Trust me, I wouldn't notice a difference. My Vista is such a pile of junk that my Internet was never fast. And let me also say that my bill is currently $58 a month. I'd only be saving $13 a month. No. Just no.

M= No thank you, I'd rather save more money and settle with a slower speed.

R= Ok, but I'd just like to offer you one more time, this is a great deal, for 6 months you'd be doubling your speed for a discounted price!

M= No thank you, I will settle for the slowest speed.

R= *changes my Internet speed* Ok, you are now at 1, and starting next month, your bill will be $25 a month. I'd like to take this moment to offer you a special we have going on right now with our telephone service-

Yes. I cut her off.

M= No thank you, I didn't want any additional services today, just the Internet downgrade.

R= I understand ma'ame, but this is a very affordable price for a landline phone, and what if your cell phone wasn't working and you needed to dial 911?

Oh you did not just go there.

M= I guess I will have to hope that never happens. I need to save money right now, and not order anything new or special. I will just take the cable please.

Thankfully, she took the hint and we were done.

I know a lot of it is pushed, but seriously. When someone calls to downgrade their services, they don't want newer and better service, dammit. And I was in too good of a mood today to tell the rep off about the "6 months" deal, because I know how Charter works and the little games they play. After more like 3 months, they'd lock that price in and I'd have to call and cancel it. They won't tell you that.

Also, what makes you think someone who wants to downgrade wants new phone service??? Really?

This just goes to show that pushing has gone too far. This is why I avoid certain stores, and this is why I always have to be in a strong frame of mind when I call Charter.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Well since I do not work there any more, for AT&T we were always being told to try and upgrade upgrade upgrade.. or be fired if unable to get at least 4 a month, it was crazy such as, well i see you will downgrade this, but we can give you this for free to try it, just call back in 30 days.. blah blah blah... I hate doing call center work for big companies they don't care about customers or employees only doing what makes them 'look good' in the financial areas. Sorry for rant.
    Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
    pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

It's only because so many people fall for the "Oooo! It's only $45 for the first six months, and that's less than I'm paying now! Yeah, let's do it!" that they push like that. It seems like your average consumer can't process the fact that after those six months of saving $13 they're now locked into a contract that they're having to pay $75 a month for... meaning that if their finances haven't improved in that time they're now worse off then they were to start with.

But that's a combination of corporate greed and customer stupidity, and has nothing to do with sucky attitudes while making these deals.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

As others have said, it's a corporate thing. I got yelled at once while working for the cable co back in Texas for not offering an upgrade for someone who lost their job, their house was in foreclosure, and they called to cancel service. What exactly would I have upgraded them to? ...and where would this service be if they're losing their house? :-/

sadly, this isn't the rep's suckiness, it's the company's suckiness.
        Coworker: Distro of choice?
        Me: Gentoo.
        Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Comment

I actually called to cancel my cable service with Charter and they gave me a sweet deal where I kept cable, got upgraded internet, and only paid 5 dollars more then if I kept my old internet and got rid of cable. This seems to be an exception to the rule since when I usually call them for whatever the deals they offer are pretty lame.

It's only because so many people fall for the "Oooo! It's only $45 for the first six months, and that's less than I'm paying now! Yeah, let's do it!" that they push like that. It seems like your average consumer can't process the fact that after those six months of saving $13 they're now locked into a contract that they're having to pay $75 a month for... meaning that if their finances haven't improved in that time they're now worse off then they were to start with.

The only time to take advantage of a deal like this is with Charter's new customer deal, since it lasts something like a year and they don't hold you to it at the end of the deal. Otherwise everything else is exactly like you said

Comment

Working...
          X