Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh AT&T, I'm going to strangle you (long and ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh AT&T, I'm going to strangle you (long and ranty)

I had most of a long post written up and then the computer died. Blah. Grrrr.

So, basically, my husband and I were eligible for an upgrade on both of our cell phones. We verified this twice with AT&T. My husband even got a text to that effect. We reserve our iPhone 4s, which are not easy to get right now, and we get the email yesterday that they've arrived. As we were informed when we reserved them, we need to pick them up within 24 hours due to the demand. No prob.

We head down there, super awesome Apple guy gets mine set up first since I'm the primary name on the account. Great. Goes smooth. Even saves my contacts from my old phone.

We start setting up my husband's. It says he's not eligible for an upgrade until December. Getting the phone now without the upgrade price would cost us an extra $200. No. Way.

My husband spent half an hour on the phone with AT&T getting mixed stories and was told he was probably approved, then unapproved for upgrade for some reason. If we went to an AT&T store, they could sort that out for us and get it fixed on the account. He said we could get the phone for just $100 more (which would still be a no), then backed out on that. Then, he tried really hard to get my husband to buy the phone for $300 more and no contract. NO!

My husband fills me and the Apple guy in on what's going on, so awesome Apple guy tells us there's an AT&T store across the street and he'll put the phone in customer hold while we sort this out.

AT&T store: the girl at the front taking names to talk to a rep didn't even want to take our names down or let us talk to anyone after she asked about the gist of our situation. We finally convinced her to let us freaking talk to somebody and she wrote on the paper, right in front of us in big letters, "CHECK NOTES" and underlined it. Great. She thinks we're trying to pull something and made that clear.

We went in circles with the rep for a while who left to talk to the manager three times with different questions and always came back with the same answer regardless of what we asked. We finally asked to speak to the manager. The manager told us that the phone rep was wrong. They can't do that in the store. They have to send an email to corporate and have them review the account and make it right. That will take 24-72 hours. At this point, we're super frustrated because there's a reserved phone that might not be there by the time this gets sorted out. The manager lets it slip in passing that there are test they can do on our account to find out what happened and my husband is like "DO IT!"

So, we wait. Tests come back. We were eligible for an upgrade. When we relocated, the account erroneously added 6 months to my husband's upgrade time. To fix it? We still have to wait on corporate. We were told they're usually fast on Saturdays, so we waited for a bit, then had to leave at about 3:30 to get some food it had been so long. They took our numbers and said they'd call when they heard back. We wait until after 5 pm. (We left the apartment at about 10:30 and we had a lot of other things that needed to get done!) No call from AT&T. I call the store. They said they haven't heard anything and they'll call me.

We talked to yet another awesome Apple guy in the store and told him our situation, including that AT&T has admitted to the mistake, we're just waiting on them to fix it, it could be as late as Tuesday before they get their act together. He found our other phone in customer hold and put a note on it himself to leave it there until Tuesday so we had a chance to straighten this out and not lose the phone.

So, it's Sunday, and we still haven't heard anything. AT&T, you suck. Apple, you rock.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

And the giant sucking sound you hear?

That's the flood of customers bailing to Verison when they get the iPhone in six months or so.

I'd love to upgrade to the iPhone 4, but I don't want to extend my contract for another 2 years. I'm waiting to see what kinds of plans Verizon offers.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Everyone should leave AT&T. If they aren't sending you false charges on your bill every once in a while or "losing" your payments and then refusing to turn you back on without a service fee, even though it's their fault they "lost" the payment, they are finding new ways of fucking everyone over.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Not to mention how guerrilla AT&T is about trying to get you to buy yellow pages ads or to sign up for new business services. I get a sales call from them at my work almost every day. It's pathetic. That's great that Apple was so helpful to you guy, though Now THERE'S a company that understands customer service!
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

I have this passionate hate for AT&T.

I'm eligible for an upgrade, I know cause I've checked a few times and am now receiving junk mail about how I'm approved for a new upgrade. Course the junk mail letter has an insert for some shitty phone they are offering. ATM I am waiting to see what happens with Verizon, not to mention I don't want to renew with ATT and be stuck with their craptastic service for 2 years.

I get crap signal when at home. When I asked someone at AT&T they looked where I live and it they said it was cause I live between 2 transmitters and by phone signal bounces back and forth between the two. . . ok. . .THEN ADD MORE TRANSMITTERS!!

I've been a long time customer. Originally I got my 2nd cell phone back 10 years ago with Cellular One. . .which was then purchased by SBC, which then became AT&T, then Cingular and now back to AT&T, In between upgrading every 2 years.

Shame Apple teamed up with a sorry excuse of a communications carrier
          "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

I hate ATT and thankfully I'm almost completely out from under their control. Just have to wait a few more months until I move out and can get better internet service. I've been through the run around with them a few times.

The last one was when they supposedly hadn't received my payment and a woman called up and even after explaining I sent my payment in a week ago she still tried to get me to pay the bill off over the phone "just in case". After the third time of her suggesting it I told her "bitch, I said no" and hung up. Not the most diplomatic thing to do but she had woke me up at 8am and was being a bitch. If you act like one I'm going to call you on it.
            Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

All the companies do shady things and please explain this to me.

UNLIMITED DATA - up to 5GB, Um NO that is nowhere near unlimited. See also, Unlimited toppings up to 4 for 9.99 once again, that isnowhere near unlimited that is 5GB or 4 toppings, just say it and I'll agree and buy the danm thing, don't hide it in smart print when you use such a big font for the unlimited!!!!
              I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I dropped ATT over their upgrade hassle. Sprint is cheaper, and I like my droid phone.

Comment

I *knock on wood* have never had any problems with AT&T. I will not go to Verizon on principle since they slammed Mr Jedi with a $300 "early termination fee" three years after he cancelled the phone. Which he stupidly paid.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

All phone companies have their moments. I think to be fair, she should have been more discreet and told the person to check the notes instead of writing it on the paper. Maybe a star or something instead of writing it. A lot of people pull that scam because they break a phone. One lady when I worked at Wally World couldn't understand why we would sell her a phone at the full price because she was a new customer that signed up only ten days ago.

Comment

Quoth Sleepwalker View Post
                      Sprint is cheaper, and I like my droid phone.
                      Speaking of.. I had high speed through AT&T at like 40$ a month. Then I got my <3 Droid <3

What an awkward phone call...

AT&T: ATT How can I help you?
                      Me: I need to downgrade my service to basic DSL please.
                      AT&T: Why is that!
                      Me: Its too much a month, just need to save some cash
                      AT&T: Well, we can get you a lower price and keep your speed about the same. Let me transfer you.
                      Me: Oh, okay. (hey, why not?)
                      [new rep, retentions probably]
                      AT&T: Hi, how can I help you
                      Me: Hey, the last rep said something about lowering the cost of my bill for similar speed.
                      AT&T: Oh, yeah. Well, why'd you want to downgrade?
                      Me: I got an Android an--
                      AT&T: Oh I can't give you the lower price, i'll put your account at DSL Basic.
                      Me: Oh, alright thanks.

/end

y u mad, att?
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

We're still getting mixed stories from AT&T on the phone now. The common thread, though, is that my husband CAN upgrade his phone, they made a mistake an admitted it. He just has to lose the phone he reserved with Apple, wait 10 days for an AT&T store to get an iPhone in, and pay for it in advance. That's after he got a story saying he could go to the Apple store and pick up his phone and if they account doesn't show up right, we could call AT&T and the rep would work it out over the phone with the Apple rep. We called the Apple store to verify that this could be done. No. If it doesn't show up in the system as eligible for upgrade, there's nothing they can do because of the way AT&T has them set up, even if somebody was on the phone with them from AT&T. Great, AT&T lied again. We call AT&T. Sure enough, the previous rep had lied and we need to get it from an AT&T store.

Then, after all this, the guy from the AT&T store called us back and gave us the story we already knew from calling headquarters and that we had to get it through them, etc. My husband tried explaining that he didn't want to do that, he just wanted them to make it right so he could get the phone he had already. The guy wouldn't even listen to him and immediately started trying to upsell him on other stuff for the phone he had assumed was as good as sold. He even tried to argue about whether or not we'd need a car charger - we don't have a car. However this goes, we are NOT getting the phone through that particular AT&T store for anything. UGH!

I would LOVE to switch carriers, but all this came down after my phone was upgraded and our contract extended 2 more years. Besides, I absolutely hate Sprint and Verizon. I've had horrible experiences with both and much better cell signal from AT&T.

I've got another tab open to see about reporting AT&T to the BBB right now, since this is their mistake that they are refusing to make right. I don't see how we can get this resolved before we lose the phone we have reserved, though, but we'd much rather just buy it through Apple. The experience is so much better through them and AT&T just has no clue how to handle customers. Besides, there is the principle of the matter.
                        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Quoth incognitocook View Post
                          I would LOVE to switch carriers, but all this came down after my phone was upgraded and our contract extended 2 more years. Besides, I absolutely hate Sprint and Verizon. I've had horrible experiences with both and much better cell signal from AT&T.
                          Isnt there a 30 day window that if youre dissatisfied with your phone/service it voids the (new) contract with no fee? Also, I hated sprint for the longest time, but they seem to have upped their game in the last year or so. What about T-mobile? I had good service with them for a number of years.

edit:

Quoth ATT
                          CANCELLATION PERIOD / TERMINATION
                          You may terminate this Agreement within thirty (30) days after activating service without paying an Early Termination Fee. You will pay for service fees and charges incurred through the termination date, but AT&T will refund your activation fee, if any, if you terminate within three (3) days of activating the service. You may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with this Agreement, and AT&T may charge you a restocking fee. If you terminate after the 30th day but before expiration of the Agreement's Service Commitment, you will pay AT&T an Early Termination Fee for each wireless telephone number associated with the service. Either party may terminate this Agreement at any time after your Service Commitment ends with thirty (30) days notice to the other party. We may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if we cease to provide service in your area. We may interrupt or terminate your service without notice for any conduct that we believe violates this Agreement or any terms and conditions of your rate plan, or if you behave in an abusive, derogatory, or similarly unreasonable manner with any of our representatives, or if we discover that you are underage, or if you fail to make all required payments when due, or if we have reasonable cause to believe that your Device is being used for an unlawful purpose or in a way that may adversely affect our service, or if you provided inaccurate credit information or we believe your credit has deteriorated and you refuse to pay any requested advance payment or deposit.
                          http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...vice+Agreement
                          Last edited by Whiskey; 07-06-2010, 12:57 AM.
                          Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Sadness is AT&T cost me MORE with AT&T employee discount than T-mobile (Jail break for the win so I keep the same Iphone)
                            Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                            pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

One month until we get to leave AT&T.

I'm really hoping my mom gets some free time to write something up, regarding ever since Cell One became AT&T and we've had nothing but troubles, fake charges, "lost" payments, and other bullshit, explaining why we are letting our contract expire and good riddance you worthless excuse of a phone provider.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X