X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things that stick with you...

Hi folks,

As a first time poster I hope I get this in the right place!

I'm currently temping at the moment, having recently had a change in circumstance - but my main work back ground has been in the customer service arenas - some face to face, but most over the phone.

A couple of stories that stick with me are:-

The wonder of loyalty cards

One of my first 'proper jobs' was working on the helpline for a loyalty card for one of the large stores here in the UK. Mainly it consisted of little old ladies ringing up for replacements of lost cards, or trying to get points added to their cards from receipts they'd saved from when they hadn't had their cards on them, changes of address/name etc - generally, pretty straight forward stuff. This particular points card gave you 4 points for every £1 spent in store, which is actually pretty generous compared to some of the other points schemes out there. One lady called and said that she wanted to use her points to buy some hair straighteners that were about £150, and wanted to know how much money she'd have to spend in store in order to get enough points on her card. It worked out to around £2000 - cue the lady in uproar and the very cheek of it! Now granted, that is a lot of money when you work it out - but what I tried to explain was that the points were a 'reward' for shopping in that store - you got the points because you spent the money, you didn't spend the money to get the points. I also pointed out over the next 30 minutes of phone call that most people that shopped in that store also looked out for the numerous 'double points' weekend and special offers (receive 500 points when you buy an own brand mascara etc), in order to build up their collection of points. She still wasn't quite getting it and thought it was outrageous that she had to spend so much 'to get anything back'. I tried pointing out also that if she had to buy certain items anyway, she might as well get them somewhere she was getting a better reward for them - she could spend £30 in one shop and get 30 points (= 30p), or spend £30 in our shop and get 120 points (£1.20).

I don't think I managed to get through though - so I don't know if she got the hair straighteners!

"Why are you abusing me like this?"

This was for the same company but on their general customer service line. We had had an email around from the supervisors about this woman - we were told not to get into conversation with her, and just transfer her to this one particular supervisor who had (bless her!) been assigned to deal with this lady's complaint. In the next 15 minutes this SC spoke to almost all of us on the help desk - we knew it was her because the agents that were on the phone suddenly went "Customer service, how can.." pause "I'm sorr..." pause "Well..." Look around from the agent shrugging their shoulders "She hung up!"

SC then came through to me:-

Me:"Good morning, customer service how can-"
    SC(Interrupting): "Is this (company)?"
    Me:"Yes, how-"
    SC(Interrupting):"This is SC (name of woman as seen in our warning email) and can I ask why you're abusing me?"
    Me:"I'm sorr-"
    SC(Interrupting):"Yes, well, I need someone to help me!"
    Me:"Certainly, one moment and I can put you through."

SC then hangs up while I try to ring through to the relevant supervisor. We found out eventually that what had happened was this SC had been into one of the shops to buy a £10 phone card and some bubble bath for her friend who was ill with cancer. She wanted a particular brand and type of bubble bath, which the store didn't have in stock. She then wanted the pharmacist to recommend something else - the pharmacist said that since he didn't know what ingredients were in that particular bubble bath, he couldn't recommend something else. The pharmacist rang another store to see if they had it in stock, so they could read him the ingredients - they didn't have it either. It seems the SC caused so much of a fuss, the pharmacist ended up ringing another company's store and getting them to read the ingredients to him - the SC then got the bubble bath and a £20 phone card for free, as a gesture of goodwill. The SC - apparently still not happy with this level of service, called that stores area manager, wanting that pharmacist fired. When she was told that wouldn't happen, she then somehow got the numbers for 2 other area managers (nothing to do with that particular area), and called them trying to get the pharmacist fired. She then somehow managed to get through to the MD's secretary/PA of the head office - wanting something to be done and dealt with! Eventually they had to write a legal letter to her, advising that they had made a donation in her name to a cancer research charity, and considered her complaint dealt with fully and to please not contact the company again.

I would guess that the lady had some other issues going on - and it wasn't just that she was an SC - but it was one of the most extreme cases I'd come across at that time.

Wouldn't it have been simpler and cheaper for the first woman to just buy the hair straighteners outright, rather than trying to find a way to use her points on them? People go through such twists and turns trying to get something for free, and they end up spending more money in the end!

And the second SC: Wow. Clearly neurotic. Who goes through all that nonsense over bubble bath?? Oh yeah...people with not enough to do.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Haha! That good old 'common sense' I keep hearing about!

Yes it would have been simpler for her to do that - but it would depend how quickly she wanted them.

A lot of people saved up their points for christmas, so that they could buy presents with them and that kind of thing. Unfortunately (as sometimes happens) people used to abuse the system somewhat - they would buy something that had an offer (for example a perfume that came with 1000 points), then return it for a refund but keep the points.

I think the company started to close that loophole a little around the time I left - if someone returned an item, the points came off too - but only if the customer gave their points card back for them to do it.

Comment

if someone returned an item, the points came off too - but only if the customer gave their points card back for them to do it.
        Hmm, my five year old nephew could exploit the loophole in that one.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Aurora View Post
          I think the company started to close that loophole a little around the time I left - if someone returned an item, the points came off too - but only if the customer gave their points card back for them to do it.
          I know (ahem) "GameStore" does that with their card -- even if you don't bring the card with you, the receipt you need to have in order to do thew return identifies the sale as being linked with the card number, so...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Good old days

I had to laugh when I thought of the standard old SC method of claiming "Back in my day" to which the answer was nothing. There really were not much in the way of points programs 50 years ago, instead if you got a card that was punch out you got what they want to give you.

Speaking as a Radio Shack "Battery of the month" cardholder.

Comment

Um, what? As soon as the SC told me she was unhappy with the service after getting a free phone card, I would have been on the phone to that store telling them to void that transaction and cancel the card.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                I had to laugh when I thought of the standard old SC method of claiming "Back in my day" to which the answer was nothing. There really were not much in the way of points programs 50 years ago, instead if you got a card that was punch out you got what they want to give you.
                Actually, there were, I remember them quite vividly.

I will now return to my old fogey lair.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                  Actually, there were, I remember them quite vividly.

I will now return to my old fogey lair.
                  We had green stamps

Madness takes it's toll....
                  Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I haven't used green stamps, but I have used Blue Chip stamps.

I used them to acquire my first CD player.

Sometime in the mid-90s.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Thing is, I work for the same company on the tills, and I've seen people with £200-300 on their cards, so it is possible to get that much. It's rare, but it does happen.

Also, that loophole has been fixed, and you have no idea how much trouble it causes us with people complaining that they want to keep their points.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        I haven't used green stamps, but I have used Blue Chip stamps.

I used them to acquire my first CD player.

Sometime in the mid-90s.

^-.-^
                        Was this in Cincinnati by any chance? Cincinnati had a big 'blue chip' thing going back then.

Comment

The loyalty schemes over here are much simpler. A sandwich shop might give you a card with space for ten stamps on it, and add a stamp for each one you buy - then the eleventh sandwich is free.

Or the bigger coop schemes actually run their own banks, so they credit a percentage of what you spend in their stores to your account, and the percentage depends on the total spent that month. They also credit a percentage of what you spend using their bank card. This could add up to a significant bonus if you go on holiday and book into the hotel chain they run, and travel via the ferry line they run... but you still have the choice of booking elsewhere if that still seems like better value.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                            Was this in Cincinnati by any chance? Cincinnati had a big 'blue chip' thing going back then.
                            Nope. The closest I've been to Cincinnati was a weekend party in Columbus. Otherwise, my stomping grounds at the time was the then-called Carson Mall, in sunny southern California.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Earl_Grey View Post
                              Thing is, I work for the same company on the tills, and I've seen people with £200-300 on their cards, so it is possible to get that much. It's rare, but it does happen.

Also, that loophole has been fixed, and you have no idea how much trouble it causes us with people complaining that they want to keep their points.
                              As I remember, the returns policy in general was pretty loose - we had tales of people bringing back almost empty bottles of perfume and customers saying they 'didn't like it', and being able to get a new bottle, or a refund, or at least gift vouchers for in store. I think it was even so loose as to not need a receipt for gift vouchers - as long as it was an item sold in the store and you said you'd bought it there, you got gift vouchers.

I used to feel so frustrated for the store staff sometimes - mostly when they called in because they knew they had to honour a refund or gift vouchers, when they knew they were dealing with known shoplifters and that the item the person was trying to return was just something they'd picked up off the shelf. We had to say that unless they had proof (i.e had it on store cctv) we couldn't challenge the customers.

Of course it was so tricky because also there would have been genuine customers that couldn't find a receipt etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X