This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with Thursday?

Because yesterday was a banner day for idiots at my bar.

That's a New One

On our wall, we have a giant chalkboard listing the craft beers we have on draft, and on that board, it lists their state of origin and their ABV, or Alcohol By Volume percentage. People often ask us "What's that percentage mean?" That is a fair question. But a guy today had a new version:

"Why do each of those beers have different sales tax?"

You Did Not Just Ask That, Did You?

So this group is ordering munchies. And one of the women is asking about the nachos.

WOMAN: "So if we get the plain nachos, they still come with all this stuff?"
    JESTER: "Yes ma'am, they come with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and jalapenos."
    WOMAN: "Can we get them without the jalapenos?"
    JESTER: "Of course."
    WOMAN: "And they come with melted cheese on them, right?"
    JESTER: "..."
    WOMAN: [expectant stare]
    JESTER: "You did NOT just ask me that, did you? They're nachos. Of COURSE they come with cheese!"
    WOMAN'S FRIENDS:
    WOMAN:
    JESTER: [throwing hands in air and walking away] "That's it, I'm out of here!"

The sad thing is, I mentioned that to my manager, and she said someone else asked her that very question that very day. Seriously? The very definition of nachos is that they are chips with melted cheese on them. Otherwise, they are just chips!

Respect Mah Authoritah!

This wasn't annoying or even stupid, just funny. Guy and girl sit down at the bar and order drinks. I ask for ID. The guy hands me a Key West Police ID card, saying, "I'm a cop." So I look him in the eye and say, "Then you know I'm gonna need to see your license." Turned out to be a cool couple of people, but considering he was born the year I graduated high school (1988), yeah, need the ID that is valid for alcohol purchases in Florida there, pal.

Scammer Alert

So a guy is sitting at the bar eating food and orders a beer from me. I ask my coworker what tab he's under, and she says he's not. Huh? Where'd he get the food from. Well......

It seems that this pinhead had called ahead and ordered food to be picked up, and had given a credit card number over the phone to my manager. When he got there, he decided to sit down at the bar and eat. And he wanted us to add his beer to the tab that my manager still had open for him. Okay....

And since it was happy hour, he actually got two beers for the price of that one. But the weird part is, when asked to produce the card, he didn't have it on him, and told my manager to just run the number. Being that she is a relatively new manager, she was a bit flummoxed, and did so. The card went through, but we are pretty sure he's a scammer, because apparently he's done shit like this before. We've taken card numbers over the phone before for deliveries, or if Aunt Martha wants to buy her favorite nephew and his wife a round of drinks on their honeymoon (happens more often than you would think), but for pickup? No.

And now New Manager knows to never do this again. And had Scammer tried to order another round from me or my coworker, we would have asked for cash or an actual credit card. We will not be taking just the card number from this guy again.

And does anyone want to guess what kind of tip he left for sitting at the bar, taking up space, and getting two beers from us, one of which he put on his "tab" with the manager, one of which was free for the happy hour special? If you guessed a nice round number that rhymes with "gyro," you would be very, very right. I am so waiting for this guy to try this shit again. Or better, try to order something from us and pay with a credit card number. Sorry pal, you need your ACTUAL card.

You're Not Prepared, So We Should Be

This is actually a general observation. I cannot count how many times bar guests will ask something along the lines of "Do you have an iPhone charger back there?" Or whatever phone the have. To which I have some questions.
    1. It's 3:15 pm. Why is your phone dead already?
    2. If you knew this would happen, why don't you have your charger?
    3. What do you think the odds are that the staff will have the same type of phone you do?
    4. What do you think the odds are that the BAR will actually just have random chargers behind the bar for this use? If we were Radio Shack, I could see it. We're not. We have a far better happy hour than the Shack.
    5. Even if I happen to have the same phone as you, I rarely bring my charger to work. Normally it is at home, where I charge my phone. Except for my car charger which, shockingly, I leave in my car. Why do I never bring my charger to work? Because I don't load up my phone with eight thousand apps and leave them running constantly so that my phone is dead at 3:15 pm.

I am especially amused by non-customers that come in off the street and inquire about phone chargers. Not where they can find them, but if we have any that they can use. Riiiiiiight.

(The next two didn't happen yesterday, but I do think they need to be posted, and I've just been too busy to post them at the time. Of course, I have no idea if either of these happened on a Thursday or not, but given my schedule, there is a 25% chance one or both of them did!)

Free Rum? But of Course!
    Somehow people seem to think we give out free samples of rum. I think I know how this happened, actually. We do do sampler platters of rum, usually sipping rums, that you can get at a discounted price, so that you can try different rums. It is our thing, after all. And I believe some of the local tour guides/taxi drivers/concierges around town have mentioned this to people when mentioning our establishment. And somehow either these informative types have mistakenly thought that such things were free (unlikely), or the tourists just decided that the word "free" was somehow in there (more likely). Either way, on a rather consistent basis, we will often have the following conversation with people coming in off the street....

THEM: "We were told that you do samples of rum?"
    US: [explain the rum sampler platters]
    THEM: "Oh, so they're not free?"
    US: "Um, no."
    THEM: "Oh. Okay." [They leave.]

Well, a couple of weeks ago, this one guy took it to a new level. He and a couple of woman came in, sat down, and asked about rum samples. Not realizing that these people thought they were getting something free, I explained the sampler platter to them, and showed them the list, on which we have several that are predesigned, and also the option to make your own by choosing your own rums. The predesigned ones all have prices marked next to them, and I explained their options, including how the pricing works.

Well, this guy ordered the most expensive one, with four of the FINEST sipping rums in the world. These rums are each so awesome, that I joke with people that BY LAW, if anyone orders these rums with coke, I must punch them in the face. Also, the cheapest one of these rums goes for $24 a shot.

As I start to set up the platter, the guy says not to fill the shot glasses all the way, he just wants a little.

JESTER: "Well sir, the price is still the same, either way. You might as well get your money's worth!"

I am thinking I am being cheerful and helpful. And please, note my phrasing.

Apparently he noted it, too.

IDIOT: "Wait, you mean it's not free?"
    JESTER: "Um....no, sir. It's $X.xx, as listed right there." [indicating the price that is clearly marked on the list]
    IDIOT: "But I just wanted to try a little taste of each."
    JESTER: "Sir, these are four of the finest sipping rums in the world. We don't just give out free samples of them."
    IDIOT: "But I was told that you do."
    JESTER: "Sir, I don't know who told you that, or what they told you, but either you misunderstood them, or they were wrong."
    IDIOT: "Well I don't want to pay $X.xx to try rum!"
    JESTER: "And I can't make you, sir. But that is the price of this platter."

What happened next?
    A. He thought about it, and ordered a cheaper rum sampler platter.
    B. He thought about it, and said what the hell, and got the expensive rum sampler platter.
    C. He and his friends got up and left, without ordering a thing.

I'll give you a hint. "Idiot" and "thought" are not two words usually associated with one another.

Now, we will occasionally give a bar customer a tiny taste of a rum. But they are customers, and we don't do it with rums of that quality and that expense. Because, you know, we'd like to keep our jobs. And because, you know, anyone ordering one of those rums knows what the price is and that they may not like it, but figure what the hell, let's try some rum.

I swear, though, if I find out some idiot local is telling people we give out "free rum," I am going to beat them bloody with a bottle of Bacardi 151.

Thanks.....PAL!

The bar has some new VIP cards for certain people working around town, usually working for one of the businesses that send us business, as it were. As a reward for steering people our way, these cards get them 20% off their tab. A pretty cool thing, if you ask me.

Well, this one guy was in with a friend/date/mistress/some chick, and they ate and drank. And the bill came, and he presented his VIP card. So I too, the 20% off and ran his credit card. And when I got the credit slip back, I saw what he had tipped me.

His bill, AFTER we had taken TWENTY PERCENT off, was about $30. The cheap little bastard tipped us $3. That's right, he tipped us 10% on the discounted amount.

Now, I know a lot of servers and bartenders feel that they should be tipped on the nondiscounted, original amount. I agree, but don't get too bent out of shape if people tip on the new, discounted amount, because I realize not everyone knows this. But to get a fifth of your bill taken off, and get good service, and only leave 10% on the discounted amount? Bitch, please. I know you have an accent and are from somewhere else, but if you have one of those cards, you live here, and you know how things go. So again, bitch, please! It's a bad, bad, BAD idea to piss off the bartenders. After all....

We control your booze.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Quoth Jester View Post

I swear, though, if I find out some idiot local is telling people we give out "free rum," I am going to beat them bloody with a bottle of Bacardi 151.
    NO! Use something else, please? I use Bacardi 151 for deglazing pans. (Drink it? Are you crazy??? I may not particularly like my liver, but I do like my taste buds, thank you very much.)
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      The sad thing is, I mentioned that to my manager, and she said someone else asked her that very question that very day. Seriously? The very definition of nachos is that they are chips with melted cheese on them. Otherwise, they are just...
      Na-cheezos.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

If a credit card scammer tips you well, how does that work out? If there is a chargeback on the credit card, do they take your tip back?

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          Na-cheezos.
          Nachos without cheese? More like No-chos.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

His bill, AFTER we had taken TWENTY PERCENT off, was about $30. The cheap little bastard tipped us $3. That's right, he tipped us 10% on the discounted amount.
            what an ass. if there's one thing i learned from Mom, it was to tip based on the amount before the discount.

and samplers... oo that sounds nice actually. i tried that in Australia, but with beer. They had some kind of flat paddle with mini-sized beers on them. ;-)

and of course, no it was not free. but it was easier to try samples of each vs drinking entire beers, just to see which ones were the best etc.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              [/I]Well, this guy ordered the most expensive one, with four of the FINEST sipping rums in the world. These rums are each so awesome, that I joke with people that BY LAW, if anyone orders these rums with coke, I must punch them in the face. Also, the cheapest one of these rums goes for $24 [I]a shot.
              Cola in those rums?!? or any mixer for that matter. I had a sampler and would not really care for a mixer in those...especially the sweet one
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

You know, I just don't get why, if someone tells a peson that {whatever} business gives out a free thing, they don't ASK FIRST before they order. Never mind your best friend's hairdresser's next-door-neighbor's milkman told you about it....ask the place that supplies it if it's free!
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Because yesterday was a banner day for idiots at my bar.
                  Check my title.

I blame Douglas Adams.

Quoth Jester View Post
                  1. It's 3:15 pm. Why is your phone dead already?
                  2. If you knew this would happen, why don't you have your charger?
                  3. What do you think the odds are that the staff will have the same type of phone you do?
                  4. What do you think the odds are that the BAR will actually just have random chargers behind the bar for this use? If we were Radio Shack, I could see it. We're not. We have a far better happy hour than the Shack.
                  5. Even if I happen to have the same phone as you, I rarely bring my charger to work. Normally it is at home, where I charge my phone. Except for my car charger which, shockingly, I leave in my car. Why do I never bring my charger to work? Because I don't load up my phone with eight thousand apps and leave them running constantly so that my phone is dead at 3:15 pm.
                  1: Games. or navigation - nothing eats up battery life faster than the satellite connection.
                  2: That would require forethought.
                  3: The sort of people who would ask for an iPhone charger at a bar thing that everybody worth talking to also has an iPhone.
                  4: But... but... all iPhone users are part of some greater whole and are happy to share their charging stations with all other iPhone users.
                  5: I have a charger at work. But then, all I need is a simple cable, and I work at a desk. Also, see above re: iPhone owners.

(note: the commentary about iPhones and their owners is mostly for comedic effect, but also because there are people out there who actually believe that shit)

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Sampler platter? *perks up* I don't think any of the bars in my area do that sort of thing.

*starts planning trip to visit Jester- after Baby is born*

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                      Nachos without cheese? More like No-chos.
                      Actually, more like No-cheez.

...sorry

Also, I'll probably get smote down from afar by Jester for this, but I can't help myself, so:

I hear you're offering free rum. I'll take a bottle of the best one.

*runs for his life*
                      Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                        and samplers... oo that sounds nice actually. i tried that in Australia, but with beer. They had some kind of flat paddle with mini-sized beers on them. ;-)

and of course, no it was not free. but it was easier to try samples of each vs drinking entire beers, just to see which ones were the best etc.
                        Those things generally aren't too bad. Were there any that you liked?

The uni does a sampler thing every year for O-Week. What sucked for the first year of my degree was that I couldn't TRY THEM because I was underage! (legal drinking age is 18, legal school age is 16, since increased to 17 since I left I think)

O-Week=Orientation WEek. Basically "this is where <location is>, these are our stalls, here's some free shit, try not to get caught up in the bookshop queue"
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Syriilord View Post
                          I hear you're offering free rum. I'll take a bottle of the best one.
                          I never imagined that a bottle of rum could be opened by sticking it in *there* and twisting!
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ellain View Post
                            Sampler platter? *perks up* I don't think any of the bars in my area do that sort of thing.

*starts planning trip to visit Jester- after Baby is born*
                            several of the brewpubs here in madison(WI) and surrounding do beer samplers, and we do have a distillery that does tours and sampling.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

The day those SC's grace your bar is the most important day of your life. But for them it is a Thursday.
                              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Working...
                              X